• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choose My Optic Setup Part 2: Mount + Accessories

rxthurm

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2021
IL
Hello again. Thanks everyone for the help on the scope selection. I decided on the NF ATACR 4-16x42 w/ the ZCO420 a close second. I now will need to decide on mounting and other useful accessories you think I may need to begin shooting. This NF ATACR 4-16x42 (34 mm tube) will be going on a PWS MK218 (AR10 flat top). The stock will likely be a Magpul PRS Lite whenever they come out. With that said, what mount do I need? I do not think I'll need a quick detach, but could be talked in to it. If anything, I would add an offset RMR or DPP.

It seems like Spuhr is the gold standard. Other brands would be Nightforce (considering the scope I chose), Scalarworks, Bobro, American Defense, Larue, MPA, Badger Ordinance, etc. It seems like from my research a 0 MOA base will do as its not a larger (i.e., 50mm) objective lens. A cantilever base seems to be personal preference, but does anyone have input on what may work best with the above setup? Lastly, what mount height would you suggest? I'm seeing 1.5' being common for some of the bigger objective lenses. Would something in the 1.25-1.4" realm suit me best? For instance, Nightforce's mount, A497, is their XTRM Unimount 1.5", 0 MOA, 34mm. Would this be suitable?

Finally, what accessories have made a major difference in either the function or enjoyment of your shooting? Fix It Sticks, certain bubbles, throw levers, sun shades, other long range shooting accessories that you've found super necessary?

Thanks everyone for their input!

Hello again. Thanks everyone for the help on the scope selection. I decided on the NF ATACR 4-16x42 w/ the ZCO420 a close second. I now will need to decide on mounting and other useful accessories you think I may need to begin shooting. This NF ATACR 4-16x42 (34 mm tube) will be going on a PWS MK218 (AR10 flat top). The stock will likely be a Magpul PRS Lite whenever they come out. With that said, what mount do I need? I do not think I'll need a quick detach, but could be talked in to it. If anything, I would add an offset RMR or DPP.

It seems like Spuhr is the gold standard. Other brands would be Nightforce (considering the scope I chose), Scalarworks, Bobro, American Defense, Larue, MPA, Badger Ordinance, etc. It seems like from my research a 0 MOA base will do as its not a larger (i.e., 50mm) objective lens. A cantilever base seems to be personal preference, but does anyone have input on what may work best with the above setup? Lastly, what mount height would you suggest? I'm seeing 1.5' being common for some of the bigger objective lenses. Would something in the 1.25-1.4" realm suit me best? For instance, Nightforce's mount, A497, is their XTRM Unimount 1.5", 0 MOA, 34mm. Would this be suitable?

Finally, what accessories have made a major difference in either the function or enjoyment of your shooting? Fix It Sticks, certain bubbles, throw levers, sun shades, other long range shooting accessories that you've found super necessary?

Thanks everyone for their input!

We carry both the ZCO and we have that Nightforce in stock with the Mil-XT, give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we can help you get set up :)

Reactions: rxthurm
first off, 0 moa simply means it is flat and not canted (angled downward) to extend the range if your scope dial.

ideal scope height depends on comb height (in relation to the scope rail) and the size of your head.
there are ways to raise your comb height to fit a higher mounted scope, but lowering the comb height isn't really an option.
i'll let somebody else make a recommendation if they can.