• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Choose One; Your Guns or Your Spouse?

If forced to choose by a judge would you keep your spouse out of prison or keep your guns?

• Total voters

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    If your spouse (or any very close relative) committed a crime which could land them behind bars, would you give up your 2A rights to save them?

A poorly framed question . I can't give up a right. I can only surrender a privilege. If my child or wife were wrongly convicted.... probably.

Reactions: Charlie112
    I would choose my guns over a wife or girlfriend any day.

I might visit them in prison but that would cut into my range time.

Here's another article on the story out of Florida with a little more information.

• Angry
    Reactions: gigamortis
    Outside of the box options.

1- Buy 2 acres, build a cabin with storage, and store my guns there.

2- Sell the majority of my guns, store some with my father, and then use the money to finance the campaigns of primary challengers and general election opponents of the judge.

3- Move to Russia.

4- The Rules of Professional Conduct prohibit me from publicly disparaging or threatening a judge, or inciting others to harm a judge, so I cannot say what I personally believe should be done to a judge who proclaims that the wife and adult son of a felon are forever barred from owning firearms because of their connection to the convicted felon. At a minimum the judge should be disbarred and removed from the bench.

I would make procuring the judge's impeachment, disbarment, or defeat in an upcoming election, a part-time job, and I would put up $100,000 to $200,000 of my own money to pursue this objective, which for a state trial court judgeship election is a big deal.

A prohibition against the wife and son having guns is a violation of Article I Section 9 it is de facto attainder, "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed." It is also essentially a corruption of blood. Article III Section 3, The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted. " It is the punishment of a person who perpetrated no crime, for the crimes of a blood relative, essentially a "corruption of blood" and a "forfeiture" of liberty/property/rights based on the actions of the blood relative.

Charlotte County deputies removed all of the firearms from Marok's home, not just the three involved in the shooting. Many of the firearms were antiques and/or collectibles, including a Colt 1911 and a matched pair of .357 Magnum revolvers with consecutive serial numbers.

Five of the firearms belonged to Lisa Marok. Three of them – an SKS, a 1911 and a .357 Magnum revolver – belonged to their son, Thomas.

"When the judge told Ralph he couldn't have a single gun in the house, whatsoever, I kind of made a face. I assumed the judge was looking at me, because he called me up to the stand and swore me in – he swore me in," Lisa Marok said. "The judge told me I couldn't ever own a gun again – ever in my life. He said you've got a choice – your husband or your guns. In a joking manner, I said ‘can I have a minute?' Of course, I was going to pick my husband. He said we cannot have guns in the house – any guns whatsoever. He said I couldn't carry one for protection anymore. He took away all of my Second Amendment rights."

All of the Maroks' firearms remain in the custody of the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office.

"I'm scared to go pick them up," Lisa Marok said. "I don't want my husband to go to prison. I think this was wrong. I am a law-abiding citizen."

Reactions: Longshot231
    No where does it say she has to give up or 2A rights she just agreed to not have any firearms in the same home as the husband......this is nothing, but clickbait bullshit.

All of the Maroks' firearms remain in the custody of the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office.

"I'm scared to go pick them up," Lisa Marok said. "I don't want my husband to go to prison. I think this was wrong. I am a law-abiding citizen."

Judge's explanation

Circuit Judge Shannon H. McFee heard Marok's case. Gov. Ron DeSantis appointed him to the bench in 2019 to fill a vacancy.

Judge McFee was not willing to be interviewed for this story. However, he submitted a written statement through his spokesperson, Sara Miles, public information officer for Florida's 20th Judicial Circuit.

Asked why he told Marok's wife she had one choice – her husband or her guns, Judge McFee's response states:

"Mr. Ralph Marok accepted a plea to the charge of Shooting at or within a Dwelling, 2nd Degree Felony in the State of Florida; additionally, this plea calls for Mr. Marok to be registered as a convicted felon. The Assistant State Attorney clearly announced the plea deal to Mr. Marok that included, ‘no longer being allowed to lawfully possess a firearm or ammunition, or a concealed weapon or the ability to vote, etc.' These implications were discussed with Mr. Marok and he voluntarily agreed to these terms with his plea, which is a downward departure based upon the plea bargain agreement between counsel. Mr. Marok scores out to 19.5 months prison. Instead, Mr. Marok received at least 5 years State Probation. The court became aware that Mrs. Marok has a concealed weapons permit and may have weapons stored in the home, which would subject Mr. Marok to a Violation of Probation and potentially going to prison. Judge McFee was taking the necessary time to ensure that Ms. Marok understood the terms of the attorney's negotiated plea and, if she was in objection, then the court would not accept this plea. Mrs. Marok was in agreement with the plea deal and pledged not to have any weapons in the home being shared with Mr. Marok, a convicted felon."

Reaction

Jacksonville, Florida-based attorney Eric Friday, who specializes in firearms law and Second Amendment rights, said the judge's order went too far.

"Mr. Marok's family has the right to continue to own guns as long as he is not in possession," Friday said.

Thomas Marok, 36, agrees. He recently bought his mother a gun safe, which has only one key, but the safe remains empty.

Reactions: Longshot231