• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing a 22lr rifle: 10/22 /w KIDD upgrades vs CZ 455 /w Lilja Barrel vs Anschutz 64 vs Volquartsen Summit

_Raining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I currently have a standard 10/22 with no upgrades but I personally prefer bolt action rifles.

My choices are:
1) I could get immediate upgrades for the 10/22 from KIDD and go nuts with that.

2) I could get immediate upgrades for the 10/22 from KIDD and use them on my 10/22 then order a Volquartsen Summit and then transfer them to that once it arrives but I have read about feeding issues on the Summit T3 which is what the Volquartsen is based on.

3) I can leave the 10/22 as is and get a CZ and upgrade it to a Lilja barrel but the 10/22 has more stock and trigger options then the CZ.

4) I can just get an Anschutz 64 and use it as is.

I am not prepared to spend the money on an Anschutz 54 or a Vudoo V-22 at this moment.

Ideally I would go with choice 2 if I could get some validation that the Volquartsen Summit doesn't have the issues that some people reported with the PWS Summit T3. That way I get to play around with a KIDD trigger and barrel on my 10/22 then switch it over to the manually operated action that is the Summit. But It would take more effort to get a properly bedded 10/22 because I would need to get the KIDD rear tang attachment and have it installed then bedded whereas the CZ can be bedded like any other bolt action rifle.

So many choices, what would you do?

CZ 455 Varmint or like you said just a basic 455 and upgrade the barrel, trigger like Timney, and stock like a manners are solid options. The Anie or a V-22 would be best but very expensive for sure.

I personally like my 455 Var. even as a stock rifle, it shoots pretty well inside of 50 yards but at 100, I wish it was better. Mine shoots sub moa at 25-50, but opens up to about 1.5-2 moa at 100...

Used 54's can be had for what you will have in a CZ with a Lilja barrel. I have friends that have almost as much in their !0/22 builds as I have in my Annies. Just be patient!!!!!!!!!!!

Of your choices the 455 w/ an aftermarket barrel would be my choice. Much more upgradable and a better action than the Anschutz 64, 10/22's are great and fun but will not shoot with either the 455 or 64.

As far as practical accuracy is concerned a KIDDed out 10/22 is hard to beat, mine will shoot sub .5” 5 shot groups at 50 with CCI SV. I do kind of miss some things about my 455 VPT, but my 10/22 is more accurate, and actually a little less finicky, although I’m sure when I do get malfunction it’ll be a little harder to fix.

Attachments

• 8E345E4A-3752-4DC2-9DEF-1C6E02B771C9.jpeg
    8E345E4A-3752-4DC2-9DEF-1C6E02B771C9.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 148
I have 2 complete Kidd 10/22 and another upgraded 10/22. The upgrade started as a stock 10/22 target. I decided to try the new Ruger BX triggers $65 and it turned out to be tolerable. Reading here I learned about F.J. Federson who makes 10/22 barrels. After reading and watching a few videos out there I wasn't impressed much with the guy doing the videos but really take those types of things with a giant block of salt. I decided to try one and went with an 18" fluted model w/ threaded muzzle. I am very impressed with the results. This modified stock 10/22 out shoots my other 2 Kidd rifles and a friends 2 Kidds.

As another option: $65 Ruger BX trigger, $200 F. J. .Federson Barrel, $165, $170 Victor Titan Stock or $155 Magpul X22 stock with cheek riser kit. So around $525 to $550 with all of the little pieces parts for the stocks. Throw in a Kidd Auto bolt release and bolt buffer and start shooting. I know that there are many options to tune up a 10/22 but this one is simple and cheaper than most with excellent results.

Reactions: Afkirby
I’ve owned or currently own each rifle you’re considering the Volq. Summit. My take... bang for the buck the CZ 455 Lilja was hard to beat. I bedded mine myself, tuned the trigger, bolt, etc. it was an absolutely phenomenal shooter. I would have to say, to this date it was the most accurate .22 I have ever owned. I need to dig up the 6x5 target I shot but I recall it being around an average of .66” for six 5-shot groups at 100 yards. I should have never sold it.

I currently own a fully built 20” KIDD Supergrade built and an Annie 64 bedded in a Manners stock and tuned by the custom shop. Both rifles will average in the .7’s and .8’s with Eley Edge and Eley Black box.

For sheer fun of shooting, the semi auto KIDD is a blast. Having that kind of accuracy on tap with a semi is a nice combo. The Kidd triggers are excellent but not quite as good as a tuned Annie trigger.

As mentioned before, if you can piece together a CZ 455 by finding a lightly used action and do some of the tuning work yourself, you can have a tac driver for a reasonable price. The downside is the CZ action is all well and nice but it lack the refinement and finish of the Anschutz. They sure do shoot though.

The Anschutz rifles are plain nice. Some folks balk at the price but they are damn fine rifles. The 64 action is great and each Annie 64 based rifle I have ever messed with was a great shooter. My current 64 is a great rifle for bench work but I also use it for small game hunting.

Get hands on with a sample of each rifle if you can. Bottom line is they are all great shooters. Your pocket book and ammo selection will be the limiting factor for .22 accuracy. That and the dude behind the trigger. If you near Southern Cal I would be glad to meet up and get you some trigger time behind the Annie and Kidd. Good luck with your decision.

Some photos of targets attached

Another good starting place is with a MOA Corp stainless steel receiver. Currently not in production, but if you can find one they are made with threaded barrel and rear action screw tab. Solid starting place.

I have a Kidd Supergrade in a Titan stock with the Titan rear anchor, and a CZ 455 Varmint, only upgrade is Jo Dave trigger spring. Both guns shoot great with CC! SV , Eley Club, and Lapua Center X. The Kidd slightly out shoots the 455 at 3 times the cost. Start with a 455 varmint and see how it shoots.

Mark

Just get on Rimfire Central and be patient, wait for someone to get divorced or die and get a good deal on their custom rifle.

Heck get two. That way you can tinker with one and shoot with the other.

They're all good options. One game to play is to set a budget and build the best rifle at that price point since we already know you can spend 10x if you splurge. I'm always amazed at guys who have $2k into a 10/22 and a $350 CZ or 50 year old Anschultz-Savage outshoots it.

I've owned an Annie 54 action in a beautiful 1712, very nice rifle. But so is my current 50-year old 64 sporter for 20% of the price, not quite as accurate but usually the best on the range. I also have a 10/22 in a Magpul backpacker stock with iron sights and I love pulling it out of it's hippie dippy Ukulele case.

Only reason to spend top dollar is if you're competing and want to beat someone with better gear IMHO, for plinking it's self improvement.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the Tikka Tx1. Tikka trigger, Tikka inletting (Fits t3x stocks) Sako barrel, Tikka quality, $420.

If I had to pick between the OP's choices, CZ455. I just finished another brick through my mine yesterday, bringing it's shot count to over 7k. I'm still fighting a accuracy consistency issue with it from about 1k ago I put it in a chassis and it went to crap. Chassis install directions suggested 60" lbs on the action screws and that was way to much, causing groups to spread open 4-5 times what they were and bolt cycling issues. Went back to a bedded and pillared stock and 30"lbs and it mostly returned to normal.

However, My current .22 match gun is a full KIDD supergrade in a PMACA chassis. If I had the chance to go back in time I would have ordered a full KIDD supergrade with the Magpul X-22 stock from KIDD as they do NOT sell the modified X-22 stock as a stand alone item (I tried, begged, pleaded, but they only sell the modified X22 on complete rifles), I ordered a barreled supergrade action. But that is $1100 path vs the CZ upgrade path at $450 rifle + $350 barrel + gunsmithing. Wait for the Tikka.

Tiger,
I'm waiting on my barreled KIDD Supergrade to drop into a PMACA chassis. Why do you wish you got the X-22? I'm sharing this rifle with my wife so I needed the quick adjustability of a collapsible stock with a cheek riser - hence the PMACA

Getting the Magpul stock with the rear tang inletting from KIDD is a one time option when you order a rifle. I like the magpul x22. Like I said earlier, I am using a PMACA chassis for matches, I do like that set-up. I am assuming you got the long nose PMACA since it has a rear tang inlet?

Correct. That's the primary reason I went with the PMACA. Lightweight, had the adjustability, and readily accepted the Supergrade without inletting. So far, it looks good. Excited to put it all together and check it out

Kidd supergrade PMACA currently with SS 18" barrel
CZ455 with worked stock
Kidd standard with std magpul stock
All wear SWFA 3-15 milquad reticle scopes on 0 MOA bases

6GHPsFB.jpg

I have CZ455 VPT and it’s great just put in a lighter trigger spring and other than that not much else to do to make it shoot well...try Wolf Match Target as CZ’s seem to like it.

I own a complete 10/22 kidd and I love it no regrets here. I don’t measure my groups but the thing is tack driver.