• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing a bottom metal for hunting/plinking rifle

amedeo1227

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
Thibodaux, LA
Looking to learn from some more experienced people here.

Currently trying to chose a bottom metal for a manners. Everything I have ever owned has been chassis, so not my decision to makes, really.

Needs to be M5 pattern. I would like a detachable box mag and accept AICS pattern mags. I am thinking the Hawkins Hunter DBM, Curtis Customs, or Terminus. I think the Curtis and Terminus make a flush fit mag, but not really sure.

I have a 6.5PRC and a 6CM I plan to run on the manners and prefer modularity. Not really worried about the price point.

Any helpful hints or info from experience would be appreciated before I take a shot in the dark.

thanks.

Why not Badger M5?

ETA- of those listed I would ho Hawkins Hunter because it's the lightest.

I don’t know why not the badger, honestly?

I’m not ruling anything out. Just thinking about wanting flush-ish fit magazine. I would pick the same magazine and bottom metal company to avoid any potential rattle because of different tolerances or what not. I don’t know.

Don’t know what options are out there for flush magazines besides Curtis, Terminus, and Hawkins?

Looking to learn from some more experienced people here.

Currently trying to chose a bottom metal for a manners. Everything I have ever owned has been chassis, so not my decision to makes, really.

Needs to be M5 pattern. I would like a detachable box mag and accept AICS pattern mags. I am thinking the Hawkins Hunter DBM, Curtis Customs, or Terminus. I think the Curtis and Terminus make a flush fit mag, but not really sure.

I have a 6.5PRC and a 6CM I plan to run on the manners and prefer modularity. Not really worried about the price point.

Any helpful hints or info from experience would be appreciated before I take a shot in the dark.

thanks.
Have you looked at Terry Cross's KMW bottom metal. Hunted with a friend this past fall who had a new hunting rifle made up for him by Joe Walls and it has the KMW BM and I was wow'd a bit by the quality, fit and feel.

Not sure if it meets all of your criteria, but I think it is a very high qual product.

Have you looked at Terry Cross's KMW bottom metal. Hunted with a friend this past fall who had a new hunting rifle made up for him by Joe Walls and it has the KMW BM and I was wow'd a bit by the quality, fit and feel.

Not sure if it meets all of your criteria, but I think it is a very high qual product.

Needs to be flush with the bottom. The one I clicked on has a "barricade stop". Let me see if I can find a picture.

Reactions: Baron23
Flush-Mag-2.jpg

Flush-Mag-1.jpg

I'd say Hawkins m5 hunter with their low pro mags. Another option is to get 5rd mag from accurate or mdt, and send to Justin @ Kinport Peak Rifles in Idaho. He does a great job with custom mag work. I only build on m5 anymore, as i can go tactical dbm, low pro hunter dbm or hawkins m5 oberndorf bdl. All from same inlet. Its a win win.

I use the Hawkins hunter with low pro mag. No issues with this setup for 6.5prc and origin action.

Reactions: amedeo1227