• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

choosing a match bullet- fast and flat or heavier/slower

mpwolf

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2014
A buddy and I are shooting our first Guardian in July. He's running a .308 which doesn't have a threaded muzzle. My first thought is to load 155's at a pretty decent velocity, rather than 175 smk or 185 juggernaughts, in order to help lower recoil a bit and hopefully help him spot his shots a bit easier. Any thoughts on this?

Check on the rules. In PRS you are limited to a 178 max weight and 2800fps max speed in Tac where most shoot a .308. Not sure if they do that. I personally run a 168 ELD-M as it has a better BC than the 175 SMK and I can get them going 2750fps pretty easy.

spend the $75 to thread the muzzle and put a brake on it

i'd probably go 185s slow if it were me

but 155s pushing blazing fast might be a little more forgiving under the time constraints and uniqueness of a Guardian

rifle and barrel length may sway this as well

Reactions: FredHammer
spend the $75 to thread the muzzle and put a brake on it

i'd probably go 185s slow if it were me

but 155s pushing blazing fast might be a little more forgiving under the time constraints and uniqueness of a Guardian

rifle and barrel length may sway this as well
Threading the muzzle would definitly be the smart thing to do, but he won't do it. Let's just say he does nothing to alter the reputation of jarheads being stuborn! I haven't been able to find the actual rules yet. I'm waitning to hear back from the Guardian folks. I did find some 168 eld-m, and I have a good stash of 185's, so we'll find something that works.

Reactions: lash
I'd go light and load mild if he's shooting a .308 for PRS.
absolutely- but at this stage I need to find the rules, then I can optimize a load based on them.

Threading the muzzle would definitly be the smart thing to do, but he won't do it. Let's just say he does nothing to alter the reputation of jarheads being stuborn! I haven't been able to find the actual rules yet. I'm waitning to hear back from the Guardian folks. I did find some 168 eld-m, and I have a good stash of 185's, so we'll find something that works.

Why won't he thread it? No real reason not to. If he didn't want to then he could get a clamp on like this one at Witt Machine. They work good and no permanent change to the rifle.

Reactions: lash and b6graham
Why won't he thread it? No real reason not to. If he didn't want to then he could get a clamp on like this one at Witt Machine. They work good and no permanent change to the rifle.

It's a rifle he won in a raffle and he just wants to leave it as it is. Like I said- beyond stubborn!
I might be abl;e to sell him on the clamp on option though...

It's a rifle he won in a raffle and he just wants to leave it as it is. Like I said- beyond stubborn!
I might be abl;e to sell him on the clamp on option though...

The clamp on doesn't modify anything so should be able to sell him on it especially after he sees the difference in recoil.

I'm thinking maybe the clamp-on threaded adaptor- then I can toss a tuner break on.

I'm thinking maybe the clamp-on threaded adaptor- then I can toss a tuner break on.

Yeah he could try that also. Should be fine with a brake but I wouldn't use one with a suppressor.

I really like the 155's out of a short barrel 308. Yes you loose some BC but honestly, BC is not as important as BC consistency for PRS. Its known distance with a solver, BC doesn't really matter except for wind. If you can get a decent wind reading you can make a good wind call. The 185 juggs were awesome but have been surpased by the 185 Hybrids and it could beat you up shooting them for 2 days if you aren't used to it.

Another option is some 155 solids from PVA/Warner. Gives you 6.5CM ballistics out of a 308.

Reactions: lash

Clamp on is a bit of a dubious way to attach something to a precision rifle - definitely some opportunity to introduce some variables in the precision of the system in an unwanted way.

My vote is shoot 155's if recoil is a concern and the barrel won't be threaded. I would personally avoid any clamp on solutions. And a clamp on thread adapter to run a tuner is asking for trouble, IMO.

I scored some 168 ELD-M and have convinced him to try an XRS. At this point I'm starting to feel like we're getting somewhere. Then he casually mentions that he's got a Nomad 30cal can, and asks if he wuld be allowed to run it?!? Barrelled action will be off for threading shortly. Problems solved!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: lash and b6graham
It’s going to have a very different recoil with the can. Just a heads up. I would and have been running the 175 SMK at 2650 for the last year. But now I’m running the 169 Sierra at 2700. I would just use those 168s and make sure to make every hit between 300-750yds count. That’s where most of the targets are anyways. Don’t sweat the long stuff.

Good luck at the match 🤘

It’s going to have a very different recoil with the can. Just a heads up. I would and have been running the 175 SMK at 2650 for the last year. But now I’m running the 169 Sierra at 2700. I would just use those 168s and make sure to make every hit between 300-750yds count. That’s where most of the targets are anyways. Don’t sweat the long stuff.

Good luck at the match 🤘
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If he is talking 168 ELDs then you will do fine at longer than 750 yards also as you want all the points you can get. It's not a 168 SMK.

How about light AND slow? Lowest possible recoil…like 155s at 2700 fps or so.

Low BC and low velocity? Guess that's one way to go. LOL

A buddy and I are shooting our first Guardian in July. He's running a .308 which doesn't have a threaded muzzle. My first thought is to load 155's at a pretty decent velocity, rather than 175 smk or 185 juggernaughts, in order to help lower recoil a bit and hopefully help him spot his shots a bit easier. Any thoughts on this?
What’s barrel length?

He’s shooting a guardian match not the AG CUP. He’s shooting .308 so he’s already handicapped compared to 6 or 6.5. If it’s consistent, a Bc of .245 or .270 means less than not developing a flinch or losing track of the target every time the gun goes off. But I’m not the cool moderator so go with the heaviest, fastest bullet available and enjoy that high BC.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
He’s shooting a guardian match not the AG CUP. He’s shooting .308 so he’s already handicapped compared to 6 or 6.5. If it’s consistent, a Bc of .245 or .270 means less than not developing a flinch or losing track of the target every time the gun goes off. But I’m not the cool moderator so go with the heaviest, fastest bullet available and enjoy that high BC.
LOL He doesn't have to go super heavy to get the BC advantage of better wind and flatter trajectory. And no developing flinch or losing track of target or anymore than a 155 at 2700.

And I never said use the heaviest bullet available at the fastest speed so if you plan to be a wise ass then at least get it right. ;)

Reactions: Beerfest19
LOL He doesn't have to go super heavy to get the BC advantage of better wind and flatter trajectory. And no developing flinch or losing track of target or anymore than a 155 at 2700.

And I never said use the heaviest bullet available at the fastest speed so if you plan to be a wise ass then at least get it right. ;)
I think even 22” barrel or shorter a 168 should be cool. Seems like a good overall balance.

Reactions: Rob01
I do not believe the Guardian matches enforce a max MV and the lighter faster bullet will more than likely be easier to stay on target. I would go 155's at around 2,850 fps if it were me.

Reactions: D_TROS
Barrel is 22" Rock , and he's running a Nomad can. I have a bunch of 168 eld-m's, so that's what I have to work with. The plan is to put it in an MDT XRS, and I'll balance it as best I can and away we go. He's not totally green, but he's never shot a positional match either, so his performance expectations are low. We're going to go make the most of what we have, and have some fun.

Barrel is 22" Rock , and he's running a Nomad can. I have a bunch of 168 eld-m's, so that's what I have to work with. The plan is to put it in an MDT XRS, and I'll balance it as best I can and away we go. He's not totally green, but he's never shot a positional match either, so his performance expectations are low. We're going to go make the most of what we have, and have some fun.
Sounds good to me. Have fun.