• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Choosing a scope for a 22 (nrl22/prs primary use)

MajorD

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2022
Dewey AZ
Hello all first post here. Wasn’t sure if I should put this in the optics or rim section but here goes!
I am jumping down the rimfire rabbit hole.
I have been a very long term iron sight shooter and only have been shooting with optics the last couple years, so my knowledge on optics is rather limited.
i shoot a local nrl22 match as well as silhouette
i currently have a basic rifle and lower tier athlon scope but have decided to get into nrl22 open class ( new rifle on order now)

i read the discussion guidelines and here are my criteria:
budget $1k with a bit of flex ( being retired military I know there are also some discounts out there too)
first focal plane
mil adjustments
zero stop
roughly 5-25 mag range
christmas tree reticle
side parallax focus down to at least 25 yards
perhaps a tough goal in this price range but not Chinese if at all possible

appreciate input/ advice

Athlon Midas is a great pick for the money 5-25 in 34mm or 6-24mm in 30mm.
I wanted to shave a few oz on my 22lr so I went with the 6-24 and Burris XTR bushing rings which allow me to zero at the mechanical bottom and roughly get the whole 25 mils (with the zero stop plate removed) and then I can make 450yards with dials and 550 with a bit of hold over

Edit: if Chinese slave trade products don’t excite you then the Bushnell HDMR CR is also a great great scope, I used to run one on my RimX but the wife didn’t like the H59 reticle which I’m generally not a big fan either but it’s still perfectly workable.

Last edited:
Getting something not made in China is a tough one in the under $1K range. You can find some but what you need to look at is elevation available in a .22 scope as some can be great but limit your ability to dial to the ranges you will need in matches. With military and your price range you should really look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56. Lots of great features and you can toss it on a 40 moa base without a problem and reach out to 500 yards.

I'm unaware what mil discounts do for you, but used Athlon Cronus BTRs (gen 1) are typically around that price and meet all your criteria.

Reactions: st1650
I'm unaware what mil discounts do for you, but used Athlon Cronus BTRs (gen 1) are typically around that price and meet all your criteria.
I got my 1st Gen Cronus for 1000$ and I was also using it on my 22lr. It’s a great scope but the only thing I don’t like for 22lr is that reticle center isn’t a dot and it’s a little harder to make tiny groups with 22lr that a open center tiny dot reticle.

I would recommend the new Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56, this is an excellent rimfire scope, if you don't need a tree reticle CameraLandNY has a killer deal
The new illuminated versions are shipping soon for not much more than this price FYI

Reactions: NewsShooter
Hello all first post here. Wasn’t sure if I should put this in the optics or rim section but here goes!
I have been a very long term iron sight shooter and only have been shooting with optics the last couple years, so my knowledge on optics is rather limited.
i currently have a basic rifle and lower tier athlon scope but have decided to get into nrl22 open class ( new rifle on order now)

budget $1k with a bit of flex ( being retired military I know there are also some discounts out there too)
first focal plane
mil adjustments
zero stop
roughly 5-25 mag range
christmas tree reticle

appreciate input/ advice
Midway is blowing out Burris XTR IIs. 499/599/699 for 3-15/4-20/5-25 (reticles vary)

Last edited:
Reactions: r.tenorio671
Brownells MPO. I think it touches all the requirements, Made in Japan. Not sure on minimum parallax

first focal plane
mil adjustments
zero stop
roughly 5-25 mag range
christmas tree reticle

appreciate input/ advice
Well, everything on your list describes the Arken SH4 and EP5.....Except the made in China part.

They are great scopes though...Especially for the price. And you can get 2 of them for about what your budget is, if you had another gun you wanted to put one on. Plus, they come with a lifetime warrants, precision tracking guarantee, and their CS is excellent.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 is a good scope...I have one of these, too. But, once again...China.

Element titans 5-25x56 have performed flawlessly for myself and shooting partner. Great reticle, great parallax, easy simple zero stop, toolless turret re zero. Overall been pleased for the money

Confused yet? Go to match and look through a few. I agree as said above strike eagle hard to beat. I bought two Arken SH4s…..sold them soon after!

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
Confused yet? Go to match and look through a few. I agree as said above strike eagle hard to beat. I bought two Arken SH4s…..sold them soon after!
What made you sell them? All 3 of my SH4 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes are as good as my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C... Now, my first EP5 was junk right out of the box, and had to be immediately sent back to be replaced after the very first range session due to QA/QC issues. The replacement one is very nice.

Burris XTR3/XTR3i is where I'd be looking.
The non-illuminated scopes are being sold very cheap at the moment to make way for the new illuminated models.
Check out Liberty Optics, they have some very good prices and are taking pre-orders for the new models at the moment.

If that's too rich for you then the Vortex PST Gen2 or Strike Eagle are what I'd consider.
The PST has better glass and is a nicer scope all round but is somewhat lacking in elevation adjustment, so extreme long range 22lr is a bit better suited to the Strike Eagle.

What made you sell them? All 3 of my SH4 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes are as good as my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C... Now, my first EP5 was junk right out of the box, and had to be immediately sent back to be replaced after the very first range session due to QA/QC issues. The replacement one is very nice.
Dunno if it’s just my eyes but the glass just didn’t agree with me….even at 100m. On both scopes the parallax had a sticking point halfway through the motion. I just wasn’t happy with them. With all the hype I grabbed a couple. Maybe they just send the shit ones to us here in Australia 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
....OP, if you rely on internet postings to help decide, consider the max distances and majority distances you will engage at the comps you enter. There are many posts regarding a scopes "performance", both good & bad. I suggest you focus on the ranges those posts indicate as where problems existed for them.

...being able to actually look through a particular scope is preferred, but again not always possible. Good luck in your journey!

Look at Meopta
Running the 5-30x56 optika6. Really clear.
Do not be concerned with weight. Except for if the rifle is heavy enough.

No longer own this combo but took my buddies advice (top 5 in nrl22 so there isn’t much better for advice) on the xtr iii 5.5-30 over NF and was very pleased and saved some money. Scr2 mil reticle is awesome just picked up the 3.3-18 for mk12 style build. For the price you can’t beat this optic right now.

Attachments

• BCDADE93-2975-46A5-84A9-705F56FA2F35.jpeg
    BCDADE93-2975-46A5-84A9-705F56FA2F35.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 250
Thanks for al the advice so far. Have a match coming up next week and can see what the cool kids are using. Rifle isn’t in yet so no rush. Hoping to have things together by Some time in April

I'm on the boat as "MajorD"... looking for a scope to get my feet wet for NRL22/PRS, for my new KIDD 10/22 build. Been back and forth between these two choices.

1. Vortex Viper PST G2, 3-15x50mm EBR2C;
2. Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50mm SCR2 Mil;

Between the two, the Vortex is very budget friendly and I've had a chance to look thru one. It's a lot better than I thought. Of course, the Razor is superior in glass, which justifies that cost difference. Haven't had a chance to view the XTR3 yet but I am in line for an XTR PRO. This has me leaning more towards the Burris 3.3-18.

Hoping someone here has a little insight on these...

I'm on the boat as "MajorD"... looking for a scope to get my feet wet for NRL22/PRS, for my new KIDD 10/22 build. Been back and forth between these two choices.

1. Vortex Viper PST G2, 3-15x50mm EBR2C;
2. Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50mm SCR2 Mil;

Between the two, the Vortex is very budget friendly and I've had a chance to look thru one. It's a lot better than I thought. Of course, the Razor is superior in glass, which justifies that cost difference. Haven't had a chance to view the XTR3 yet but I am in line for an XTR PRO. This has me leaning more towards the Burris 3.3-18.

Hoping someone here has a little insight on these...
The PST Gen2 is a very good scope for the money, some people say they aren't reliable but there are more good reports than bad.

I've got a 3-15x44 and have had very good luck with it, i like everything about it other than wish it had locking or capped windage and a touch more magnification.

Planning to replace it with a 3.3-18 XTR3 once the illuminated models come out.
Basically only for the above two reasons, the turret tracking and glass is more than adequate.
Only complaint would be it'd be nice if the turrets took a little more force to turn.

I more than likely have the same discounts as you and am looking for the same price range as you for the wife's NRL22 rifle. I would go with the Athlon Cronos Gen 2 or stretch out a little bit and get the Burris XTR Pro. The Meopta Optika6 also has its' fans, but I don't think I would like the donut in the reticle.

I more than likely have the same discounts as you and am looking for the same price range as you for the wife's NRL22 rifle. I would go with the Athlon Cronos Gen 2 or stretch out a little bit and get the Burris XTR Pro. The Meopta Optika6 also has its' fans, but I don't think I would like the donut in the reticle.

Attachments

• C2502382-A8A7-424B-8DBF-4E409D06E5ED.png
    C2502382-A8A7-424B-8DBF-4E409D06E5ED.png
    667.4 KB · Views: 132
I should have specified the 4.5-27x50 with the MRAD1 reticle. The MRAD reticle in the 5-30x56 looks good to me.

Last edited:
I love my two cronus scopes, and both the dot and cross reticles but I'd get the XTRIII from cameraland right now. Bought the 3.3-18 for a hunting scope but I'd get the 5.5-30 for this project. In fact I may order another in that magnification as well

first focal plane
mil adjustments
zero stop
roughly 5-25 mag range
christmas tree reticle

appreciate input/ advice
I recently jumped down this same rabbit hole. Picked up a bergara b14 carbon. Ordered a athlon midas 5 to 25. Should receive it this weekend. Also went with the burris xtr signature rings. I have em on my 308 and the Inserts work for added elevation. My 2 cents athlon has so.e good choices. Also vortex and arken. I also have heard some good things about riton optics a buddy got 1 not sure model but he's happy with it on his 22lr. Whatever u get. I'd recommend the burris rings with the inserts I'm a fan.

ive got a vortex striker eagle 5-25 on my cz457 and will say for the price they are well worth there money with the military discount

Reactions: Rob01
Cronus BTR if you can find a Gen1 eith floating center dot APRS1 you will be very happy. A lot of scope for the money and you can find them in the PX around 1000.... gen2 APRS6 is gonna cost you a few hundred more....

Reactions: NewsShooter
Went down the same trail - Bergara B14R with Virtex Venom 5-25 MRAD - yes, Chinese. Put the extra money into lots of bricks of SK Standard +

I would find a Burris XTR3 3-18. The best glass you will get in that range, lots of elevation and you can still make hits under focus range. You don't shoot much under 50M at most PRS22/NRL events. Under $1500 its the best optic out there, by far.

Or just buy a ZCO and never have to upgrade.

I would find a Burris XTR3 3-18. The best glass you will get in that range, lots of elevation and you can still make hits under focus range. You don't shoot much under 50M at most PRS22/NRL events. Under $1500 its the best optic out there, by far.

Or just buy a ZCO and never have to upgrade.
Agreed. I placed my order for this scope, for my KIDD build.

Thank you all for your input. I decided I didn’t want to go too crazy cost wise and ended up going with a strike eagle. based on input from a very good shooter in my area. While still china unfortunately, it checked all the other boxes. Having extra elevation due to the 34mm tube is a plus. I also considered the Arken, and they both seem about the same overall class Wise. With a military discount under $550 ( same range as Arken ) I think it is mybest choice in the sub 1k price range.
also having a local guy who is a shooter sponsored by vortex for help if I have problems made sense to me.

Reactions: Heffo and Rob01
Wasn’t there that deal on the vortex vipers?

Got a 15x on my NRL and it’s great

25x on my 308 and I’m also pretty happy with it.