• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing a stock

JDBraddy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
San Antonio, TX.
Everything I read says how important stock fit is and to get the right stock for the type of shooting you do. Not sure what I want. Have a new Rem 700 AAC-SD in .308 that came with Hogue Overmolded stock. Will be shooting mostly from the bench or prone, out to 600yds. Might shoot a local F-class or Silhouette match occasionally, but I work weekends, and can't make it to most of them. I looked at the McMillen website and ended up more confused then when I started. Would appreciate any education/advice you guys could give reguarding stock selection.

Re: Choosing a stock

I have the Mcm A-5 and an AICS 1.5. I like them both, but will go with another Mcm when the time comes.

It is like asking us what shoes fit you... We can point you towards good brands but the fit is up to you. Hang out at the local ranges and see if you can get behind/ hold different kinds of stocks and see what feels right for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is like asking us what shoes fit you... We can point you towards good brands but the fit is up to you. Hang out at the local ranges and see if you can get behind/ hold different kinds of stocks and see what feels right for you. </div></div>

Hmmm, I wish, that's kind of the problem, precision rifle doesn't have much of a following in this area, I can count the custom rifles I've seen at the range or at a gunshow in the last year, on the fingers of one hand. I haven't heard of any clubs or groups close by, except the old Highpower club here in town, wich is dwindling out and dying off. I've never even been to any kind of tactical rifle match before. I may have to use some PTO to take a trip somewhere just to check one out.

If you can ever swing getting down to an F class match in Houston, there are various stocks that guys would likely let you get behind.

Giving us ideas about your budget and style of stock that you are interested in would also help us make a better recommendation. If all else fails, try an AICS. Some like them, some don't. I do. If it doesn't work for you, you can sale it for about what you paid for it and you have the experience of knowing if you like that style of stock or similar models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is like asking us what shoes fit you... We can point you towards good brands but the fit is up to you. Hang out at the local ranges and see if you can get behind/ hold different kinds of stocks and see what feels right for you. </div></div>

5837471407_41d712dd71.jpg

5838023550_1eba7ae2a8.jpg

Drove to New Braufels and stopped by this place. http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/

While there, I got a chance to look at a small selection of McMillen stocks, of the ones I saw, I liked the A5 with adjustable comb the best. I also got to check out some other options and I realy, realy, REALY, want a Jewel trigger! The prices where a bit steep for me though. Accurize and McMillen A5 stock, $950. Jewel trigger supplied and installed, $295. Badger Ord. DBM Bottom Metal with one mag, $395. Total was $1640 and promised by date was six months from drop off date because of how long it takes to get the McMillen Stocks. They said they could accurize and bed it into the current Hogue stock, and tune the factory trigger for $450, and have it ready in just 12 weeks. I decided to shop around first. Are these fairly typical prices and wait times?

First, I will say that if you really want a McMillan stock, it is an excellent choice.
They are spendy, but very high quality.
You have other options, Manners makes a fine stock and a KMW Sentinel is a good looking, highly regarded stock.

If you are on a budget, and it seems that you are, take a look at the Bell and Carlson A5 stock.
It is NOT in the same league as the McMillan, it is heavier, but it does have an aluminum bedding block which is a nice feature:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail

You can also look at the Wyatts DBM. It is a drop in for the B&C.
Again, it is NOT the equivalent of a badger ordnance.

Also available are the HS Precision DBM, Hooper ordnance and CDI.

Jewel triggers are nice, but honestly, take a look at the Rifle Basix and Timney. They are both excellent triggers and quite a bit cheaper than the Jewel. Shilen also makes a trigger.

I Llike the AICS but that's me. A lot of shooters don't, some do. You have to see what fits you. They're all very nice (well most of them) but check them out and figure out what's a good feel. Its all about the feel as you know.Anyone

The best advice any of us can give is to research the nearest F-class match or orgranized, or non-organized, shoot near you and ask the participants for their opinions, try out their gear, and ask lots of questions. I would definitely take the time to do that before spending $1,000+ on a stock + bedding.

By the way, I use a AICS 2.0 (folder) on my 260 Rem and really like it. I'm tall and lanky, so wasn't sure how I'd like the setup but it really works.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best advice any of us can give is to research the nearest F-class match or orgranized, or non-organized, shoot near you and ask the participants for their opinions, try out their gear, and ask lots of questions. I would definitely take the time to do that before spending $1,000+ on a stock + bedding.
Jason </div></div>

I hear ya, the Rifle is new, I'm having fun with it, and it's shooting MOA out past 300yds like it is. There's no rush on any of this, and the last thing I want to do right now, is hand it over to some gunsmith and not see it again for 3-6 months! Think I'll just keep shooting it as is for now, save my pennies, (at least what I don't spend on reloading components) and keep looking around to see wich goodies I do and don't like. That way, if I start to tire of it at some point, and catch myself looking for other stuff to play with, perhapse by then I'll have a better idea of what I want on it, won't miss not having it for a few months, and may even have a few more bucks saved up!

I have the SPS Tactical in .308 with the overmold Hogue stock. I noticed the flex and took the stock off and cut fiberglass material and lined the cavities then mixed and poured fiberglass into the cavities keeping it low enough so it'll have barrel clearance. It did stiffen up the stock but I also found a HS Precision on this forum from a 5r take off for $200. I haven't recieved it yet but from the description on stockystocks, it should do well. The gun shoots better than I do so until I can justify $500 for a stock it'll have to do.

I got a McMillan HTG in forest camo that I'm extremely pleased with. Can't go wrong with McMillan.

Might want to contact John Wall at jwprecision.ca

He stocks McMillan stocks (dunno if he still does, his new site is confusing) and he's a top notch guy. I waited about 4 months for my HTG and I was like a kid on Christmas the day it came
laugh.gif

I'm waiting on a Manners T2A for my new 6XC. I have two McM A3's and I think the T2A is the configuration that McM missed with the A3-2 (A3 butt and A5 forend, rather than the opposite that McM has).

My McM's are good, but I have been wanting to get back into a Manners since I made a crappy move and trade a T4A away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDBraddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best advice any of us can give is to research the nearest F-class match or orgranized, or non-organized, shoot near you and ask the participants for their opinions, try out their gear, and ask lots of questions. I would definitely take the time to do that before spending $1,000+ on a stock + bedding.
Jason </div></div>

I hear ya, the Rifle is new, I'm having fun with it, and it's shooting MOA out past 300yds like it is. There's no rush on any of this, and the last thing I want to do right now, is hand it over to some gunsmith and not see it again for 3-6 months! Think I'll just keep shooting it as is for now, save my pennies, (at least what I don't spend on reloading components) and keep looking around to see wich goodies I do and don't like. That way, if I start to tire of it at some point, and catch myself looking for other stuff to play with, perhapse by then I'll have a better idea of what I want on it, won't miss not having it for a few months, and may even have a few more bucks saved up! </div></div>

I think that's a very wise course of action. Take your time and keep shooting. Eventually you'll just know what works best for you.

Regards,
Jason

Look at the Manners line as well. You will be happy you did. Excellent stocks and they also have the mini chassis which can make their stock a bolt in DBM if you wanted that option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDBraddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best advice any of us can give is to research the nearest F-class match or orgranized, or non-organized, shoot near you and ask the participants for their opinions, try out their gear, and ask lots of questions. I would definitely take the time to do that before spending $1,000+ on a stock + bedding.
Jason </div></div>

I hear ya, the Rifle is new, I'm having fun with it, and it's shooting MOA out past 300yds like it is. There's no rush on any of this, and the last thing I want to do right now, is hand it over to some gunsmith and not see it again for 3-6 months! Think I'll just keep shooting it as is for now, save my pennies, (at least what I don't spend on reloading components) and keep looking around to see wich goodies I do and don't like. That way, if I start to tire of it at some point, and catch myself looking for other stuff to play with, perhapse by then I'll have a better idea of what I want on it, won't miss not having it for a few months, and may even have a few more bucks saved up! </div></div>

An inexpensive stock that really impressed me upon installing on my own rifle is the HS-Precision PST-012. Brownells has them as low as $319 shipped (with free shipping coupon code, relatively easy to find with Google). http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=17192/pid=6862/Product/PST012_POLICE_RIFLE_STOCK Yeah, I know its the same one the ARMY uses, but I'm not trying to play make believe Call of Duty by purchasing it. It just feels so right to me when its in my hands. The balance of the rifle with this stock installed is awesome, and really I couldn't be happier. It has an aluminum bedding block, is extremely sturdy, and really doesn't need to be bedded. Huge improvement if you ask me. Just something to consider. However like Training Wheels said, its like asking us what size shoes fit you. Do research and make an educated decision.
smile.gif

The cheapest way to upgrade a stock is to get a used/take-off HS Precision stock from a 700P/700PSS/LTR or 5R. They come up on the hide all the time. This will be a big improvement over the Hogue and will be a great introduction to a real rifle stock. After you play with the HS Precision stock for a while, you might want to upgrade to something fancier. But since you bought the HSP stock used, you can probably get all of your money back out of it if you ever decide to upgrade. And you may just keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDBraddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might shoot a local F-class or Silhouette match occasionally, </div></div>

Something not mentioned to keep in mind if you do do this is the weight of the stock. I don't know anything about competitive shooting but i do believe silhouette matches have a lighter weight restriction.

Manners can lighten up their stocks if the customer needs it.