• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing a TBAC can for hunting bolt gun. Dominus, Ultra 7 or Ultra 5?

Nivium

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
Have a 50% cert, and I'm torn between the Dominus with a HUB mount vs. the Ultra 5 with CB (and could be convinced on the Ultra 7).

I KNOW-- I'm stupid for not getting the most expensive can, but that seems a bit unfair to TBAC since I already use a 338 Ultra and a Magnus and really I just want a lightweight and short can with acceptable suppression. I guess I'm saying that I'm already getting a deal and don't need to go overboard.

I do not have any CB brakes so I'm moving to a new mounting system regardless. I have SR brakes, but they are heavy and the SR feature was honestly probably a mistake since I never need that much retention and weight is a big deal to me even on target rifles. I do not wear hearing protection when I hunt and probably never will. Tried for a while and I just forget. This will be going on exclusively lightweight hunting bolt-action rifles (most 6.5 PRC and 308) and maybe an ar or two (most with 16-18 inch barrels), and my order of priorities is length/weight>suppression>mounting/ease of use>durability.

So, what do y'all think?

Also, would love any insight from guys running a HUB mount. It seems that I can achieve the lightest weight overall if I go HUB because there are lightweight HUB mounts (like this), but it seems that TBAC shies away from using the HUB mount generally. Is this because HUB mounts are problematic, or because TBAC is currently transitioning to a new standard and still tentative about trusting other manufacturers to create mounts for their cans?

Thanks in advance

Dominus or U7 in attachment flavor of choice depending on the form factor you’re looking for.

Thanks for the reply. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand I can achieve the lightest weight with the dominus HUB mount due to the availability of lightweight HUB mounts, plus the dominus is shorter, and little fatter. Shorter barrels means I won't have an issue of the dominus popping up in my scope, so fatter doesn't matter. In my mind, this means the dominus wins hands down vs. the U7, whereas the U5 still has the weight advantage.

CB can and brake will be lighter than HUB plus useful muzzle device. The weight difference HUB to CB for the same can is 0.1oz in favor of HUB, but 1.375” adapters typically weigh ~2oz. Robust ones like keymod are twice that, a titanium Atlas is a bit less.

Reactions: Nivium
Ive got two U5 6.5’s, a gen 1 and a gen 2. I have both gens of U7 too for that matter. I love the 5’s for normal
sized cartridges(creedmoors etc) on hunting rifles, thats exactly what they were made for imo.

CB can and brake will be lighter than HUB plus useful muzzle device. The weight difference HUB to CB for the same can is 0.1oz in favor of HUB, but 1.375” adapters typically weigh ~2oz. Robust ones like keymod are twice that, a titanium Atlas is a bit less.
Aren't CB mounts significantly heaver than the 1.2 oz rearden?

Ive got two U5 6.5’s, a gen 1 and a gen 2. I have both gens of U7 too for that matter. I love the 5’s for normal
sized cartridges(creedmoors etc) on hunting rifles, thats exactly what they were made for imo.
Would you be comfortable shooting the U5 gen 2 with a 6.5 PRC or 308 somewhat hot loaded without ear pro?

I absolutely love my Dominus. No experience with a u5 though.

Aren't CB mounts significantly heaver than the 1.2 oz rearden?
Yeah probably around double, but add the weight of the Atlas and you’re probably neutral. If a HUB Dominus was available when I did my Form 3, I’d have gone that direction though I’m fine with CB brakes coming out of every orifice. My Magnus is a HUB though “no ragrets.”

I have an Ultra 5 on my 300 H&H and 6.5-284. The 300 has a 25 inch barrel and the 6.5-284 has a 23 inch barrel. For me the Ultra 5 is perfect.

I actually just went through this and opted for a U5 hub in 6.5 for a prc build. My thought process was the 6.5 bore should knock a few more dB off and hub interface is nice for future options. Initially, I intend to use https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/en...ounts-and-pistons/energetic-tb-mount-adapter/ as I already have brakes from other tbac cans. I own a U7 and a U9 and use the 7 all the time and love it. Wanted to cut all the weight I can for this mountain rifle so decided to try this 5.

I run a gen 1 U5 6.5 on a 18” Proof cf 6.5cm and feel that, as stated above, it’s fine for a couple shots on a dedicated hunting rifle. Paired with Manners LRH it makes for a compact and light hunting rig.

I’ve got some gen 1 U7’s used on both bolt actions and AR’s, and a Dominus for SBR and AR10 use. Those cans obviously provide more suppression than the U5 but I think that the U5 really shines for hunting use.

I have a U7 6.5 model and for me it’s awesome it’s what I suggest to anyone who wants a great can I just love it!