• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Choosing an excellent whiskey (?)

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Last October I was in Arizona and we stumbled into a small liquor store. I wound up buying a bottle of a Belgian Single Grain 5 yr. old whiskey. They actually gave out small tasting samples of any and all the booze they carried. Just a small pour to get the taste. Anywho, this whiskey was the best I have tasted. Smooth and has virtually no burn/harshness at the end. I was stunned! It appears they are the exclusive distributors as I cannot find it anywhere else. With that said, I ask members if they can advise on a good whiskey that finishes smooth without that harsh burn at the end. I have researched and heard good things about Redbreast 12. I have not tasted it. I have looked for sample packs but they are all one brand. I know that this is most likely going to be a subjective response but I figured with all the booze hounds on board, somebody has gots to have some credibility and experience on this subject. :unsure: It could be a bourbon, scotch, or as mentioned above an Irish whiskey. I just don't enjoy that Jack Daniel's type burn at the end anymore. I welcome any advice. Thanks as always.

Doug

P.S.

Booze I have tried that can't compare-in my opinion- to the Belgian- just as info

Glen Livet 1824
Jameson
Makers Mark
JD (every type)
Crown Royal
Four Roses
Johnny Walker
Jim Beam
Wild Turkey
Yukon Jack

This is what I am enjoying now, my favorite scotch from Glenmorangie, it's about $120 a bottle but damn it's good
15842991707307982393337232678932.jpg

Redbreast 12 is one of my favorites. El Dorado 15-year old rum is pretty smooth too.

If you do not mind a blended Scotch, Buchanan is exceptionally easy to drink.

And then for a day to day, it is hard to beat Buffalo Trace. If one is just getting into whiskey and you’ve heard about ole Pappy, and you wonder what the hype is; BT will tell you at a fraction of the price. And that is because it is young pappy, and the cost of hype marketing hasn’t been added into the cost yet.

Another easy to drink, yet excellent bourbon is Four Roses. My ex had/have family that live in Bardestown Ky, and the local were drinking this stuff; and once you try it, you’ll see why. Hard to beat a smooth brown liquor that’s still about $25, and then $40 for a single barrel.

I’m an old bourbon nerd and I think, I’ve learned that it’s really not necessary to spend a fortune to get a legit bottle of “smooth” whiskey. Been there done that, and my biases seem to indicate that you can get the best that whiskey has to offer in the $35 to $60 range. I could be wrong, and I’m willing to be wrong.

However, if you just need to spend some green on brown, here’s a decent way to go. This from a Texan hog hunting trip this past weekend.

Attachments

• 515370F4-CEE2-43B6-8588-FD6704F10C2B.jpeg
    515370F4-CEE2-43B6-8588-FD6704F10C2B.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Reactions: Austinjunks
Here's a few easy drinking scotches that aren't too expensive, in the $40 to $60 range: Glenmorangie LaSanta, Glenfiddich Bourbon Barrel Reserve, Glendronach Original 12. I am not a fan of the smokey, peaty taste, the three I've listed are going to be more fruity floral tasting.

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
There are many good Irish whiskeys and Scotches out there. You can spend stupid money on aged and big name bottles, but all of these are under $100. I should qualify this by saying that I only drink these "neat" or with a drop of water to open them up. I love smoky/peated scotches, so all of mine lean that direction.
*Red Breast Lustau
*Bushmills 16 year
*Method and Madness
*Glendalough Double Barrel
*16 year Lagavulin
*Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ahhhh...nector of the gods!

16 year bushmills is my go to without a doubt.

16 yr. Bushmills is excellent, if you want to spend a little more, the 21 yr. is even better.

The great thing about bourbon is that you may like something that others don't and the same in reverse.
So get out there and support the many many distilleries and their multiple labels by purchasing and drinking then decide if it was good by comparison.

I’m a Scotch guy myself, my wife loves bourbon.
She’s really turned me on to 4roses and
Old Forester.
As for scotch, Macallan 18 is great.
And as mentioned above Balvenie Caribbean

I’m a Scotch guy myself, my wife loves bourbon.
She’s really turned me on to 4roses and
Old Forester.
As for scotch, Macallan 18 is great.
And as mentioned above Balvenie Caribbean
-
got a bottle of Balvenie 'week of the peat' 14 .to try couple months ago . Is good but when they emphasize the word 'Peat' in the bottle label .. they are serious about that Peat flavor ...LOL

Eagle Rare is my go to day to day bourbon. I have a local source that charges $56 for a 1.75. Something interesting I just found is woodford port barrel. Most complex whiskey I’ve ever had. Not a bourbon because it’s aged in brandy barrels, not charred oak barrels. The other bourbon is very unique as well.
A0E85380-5E02-437C-AE4E-A703CC9E4AB2.jpeg

Not port, brandy. Sorry. I may have already had one or more tonight.

If you want smooth and no burn, look for something sub-100 proof. In the bourbon realm, try Blanton’s (93 proof) or EH Taylor Single Barrel (100 proof but drinks easier than that).

Just about any Scotch that is 18 yrs or older. Glenfarclas is my favorite. I have a bottle of Glenfiddich right now, 18yr old. Pretty good.

If you want smooth and no burn, look for something sub-100 proof. In the bourbon realm, try Blanton’s (93 proof) or EH Taylor Single Barrel (100 proof but drinks easier than that).
I have both the single barrel and small batch. I prefer the small batch, regardless of price.

Reactions: leftyk82
I have all the years going back to 2005'...buy two, one to drink and one is put away for the kid (35) to have when I tip over. BTW ...2016 sucked.

I enjoyed 2016, still have 6 bottles left. Also, it’s selling for almost double of what I paid for it. I enjoy the 2017 too. Just started collecting Middleton.

Bulleit Rye (green lable) is my reasonably priced, never offensive, sweet tooth supplicating, drink of choice.

When I go to the liquor store I buy a bottle of Bulleit Rye and some strange to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

Still havent replaced the Bulleit in a year of looking.

Reactions: Geno C.
I enjoyed 2016, still have 6 bottles left. Also, it’s selling for almost double of what I paid for it. I enjoy the 2017 too. Just started collecting Middleton.
What did you think of the 2018? It took until July before I was able to find 2 bottles. I usually go to Total Wine to get mine, but they had so much 2017 that they wouldn't order in 18' for me....

What did you think of the 2018? It took until July before I was able to find 2 bottles. I usually go to Total Wine to get mine, but they had so much 2017 that they wouldn't order in 18' for me....

I shop at Total wine too. I don’t have a 2018. Unfortunately, I have some unexpected costs. I now pay for my father in-laws cost of living and medical expenses.

Last October I was in Arizona and we stumbled into a small liquor store. I wound up buying a bottle of a Belgian Single Grain 5 yr. old whiskey. They actually gave out small tasting samples of any and all the booze they carried. Just a small pour to get the taste. Anywho, this whiskey was the best I have tasted. Smooth and has virtually no burn/harshness at the end. I was stunned! It appears they are the exclusive distributors as I cannot find it anywhere else. With that said, I ask members if they can advise on a good whiskey that finishes smooth without that harsh burn at the end. I have researched and heard good things about Redbreast 12. I have not tasted it. I have looked for sample packs but they are all one brand. I know that this is most likely going to be a subjective response but I figured with all the booze hounds on board, somebody has gots to have some credibility and experience on this subject. :unsure: It could be a bourbon, scotch, or as mentioned above an Irish whiskey. I just don't enjoy that Jack Daniel's type burn at the end anymore. I welcome any advice. Thanks as always.

Doug

P.S.

Booze I have tried that can't compare-in my opinion- to the Belgian- just as info

Glen Livet 1824
Jameson
Makers Mark
JD (every type)
Crown Royal
Four Roses
Johnny Walker
Jim Beam
Wild Turkey
Yukon Jack

My usual go-to for casual drinking is Jameson Black. If I can’t find it, I’ll snag some Crown Black. Nothing fancy, just reliable and easily found...like 556 and 308 lol

Question about the Belgian whiskey you tried. Was it the Belgian Owl brand? It caught my eye at the rations store here and was thinking about giving it a go. Price is a bit higher than my usual but I’m willing to give it a shot if it’s smooth (that factor helps when getting the wife to have one with me lol).
55CA836F-9AD4-4E5F-83B5-D3CD0639A33E.png

Whisky, if we refer to single malts (Scotland).... are all great, and fortunately different. I’m not smart enough to be educated on fine red wines... way too many varieties/ regions. But... Scotland has only 5 malt regions and with time and friends you can cycle your buying or tastings across the regions... each a little different. Endpoints = Islay vs Highland.... Lagavulim vs Dalwhinnie.... sea level vs the highest distillery.

For fun... every year we host a “scotch nosing”... each couple brings a bottle and presents... we share, trade notes... and you have a really quick glimpse into 6-8 malts... great dinner, great malts... enjoy! ?

Many thanks members! I scooped up 3 bottles. Woodford Reserve. Redbreast 12 Cask strength. Balvenie 12. I tried some of the Balvenie last night and found it to be outstanding! When compared to the Belgian Single Grain, the Balvenie is certainly better. Not a price thing, just my opinion. Very smooth with no harsh after burn. Felt more like a mild breath mint afterwards. I had 4 small drinks-about 1 oz each- over a 5-6 hr period. Little sips. I just don't see myself lining up shot glasses with any of this booze. It's true I am a service rifle slut, but I like to think I have some sensibilities left...:p I'll give more deep thoughts from my shallow mind on the others bottles as I try them.

This is the Belgian I found in Arizona

Doug

My readily available standbys are as follows:

Old Forester 1920
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Oban 14 year
Laphroaig 10 year
Lagavulin 16 year
Ardmore Ugaidal sp?
Balvinie 14 year Caribbean cask
Nikka whiskey from the barrel

Special finds