• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing ballistic/weather

LongRange888

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 6, 2017
    New York
    Getting my first software. Looking for a comparison between going strelok pro with weatherflow weathermeter or kestrel 5700 elite. I know there is info out there but it seems ever-changing. How does laser rangefinder or lrf Binos or other usfull pieces of kit that would get added in the future play into those options. Would be used for mostly match related stuff. Are there better options than either of these?

Standalone like the Kestrel is a better investment than an App,
    The phones are not all that great in the field or on a line.

a great example if you come to summer class in CO, within minutes of putting your phone on your mat it will go into heat mode, like fast...

The kestrel you can't kill unless you run it over or smash it on something while spinning it :)

Standalone like the Kestrel is a better investment than an App,
    The phones are not all that great in the field or on a line.

a great example if you come to summer class in CO, within minutes of putting your phone on your mat it will go into heat mode, like fast...

The kestrel you can't kill unless you run it over or smash it on something while spinning it :)
    So the kestrel seems industry standard currently. My reason for the comparison is obviously cost, as well as keeping up with technology can be expensive in the future when something better comes about. Thank you for the input as such a simple thing as heat can be over looked with no personal experience in the matter. Looking to obviously have to buy one less thing and carry one less thing since I always have my phone

If cost is a factor, just dope with Weaponized Math for free and run a data card

Weaponized Math and MOA to Mils.png

This is an entire ballistic catalog for anything zeroed at 100 yards,

If cost is a factor, just dope with Weaponized Math for free and run a data card

View attachment 8010901

This is an entire ballistic catalog for anything zeroed at 100 yards,
    It’s not a make or break factor. I will get the kestrel. Just $800 vs $100 comparison. Thank you for that as I do want to learn and understand as much of,I’ll call it, manual doping as I can.

Reactions: 4X4Dad
    For what its worth, might as well at least try Strelok, besides the difference in cost, familiarity with different setups can only help and add to your experience level.

I've had a great experience with Strelok pro, works very well for everything I do.

My first ballistic calculator was a weather flow/ballistic arc (and Strelok) combo running on a dedicated tablet for quite some time.

I now have a kestrel 5700elite and for a one stop environmentals and firing solution device it is worth every cent. Just whip it out, enter the yardage, capture environmentals and send it.

Having said that, most of my field shooting under 1,000yds is done with nothing more than SDF and a paper correction card. Nothing is faster.

It’s not a make or break factor. I will get the kestrel. Just $800 vs $100 comparison. Thank you for that as I do want to learn and understand as much of,I’ll call it, manual doping as I can.
    That $700 ∆ is better of spent elswhere if you are newly getting kitted out. Eg use that money to take a 2-day class.

In the field kestrel is great, but at the range or at matches you can get buy just fine without one for quite a while.

(y)