• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Choosing scope power

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
I plan on buying a new scope for a new custom build chambered in 243. This will be a top end build so I'll be putting a high end scope on it. On the outside I'll be shooting out to 400-450 meters but the mojority of my shots will stay in the 200-300 meter range. It'll be used for varmit shooting but also punching paper when I can't make it out in the field. So with this in mind, is a scope that's 4-16x enough? or should I go to 25x? Just curios what people think.

For myself, I think 16x is plenty out to 750. Some guys drill targets with a fixed 10x at 1000 and some can do it with iron sights. If you're going for varmints such as Prairie dogs I might go with a 25x. If its more like coyotes I'd go with a 3-21 or 4-14.

Id consider the closest fastest target likely encountered. Making sure you have adequate field of view on the low end. It would probably be far better to find a look thru some scopes at the ranges that you expect to shoot rather than rely on advice. I like lots of magnification. What kind of varmints specifically? There is a big difference in what is ideal coyote vs pd.

Other than the range, most of the time I’ll be shooting the coyote's that are eating the does on my ranch. However, I'll occasionally take it out to shoot ground squirrels. So this will be used for a few different things hence the question about magnification. I'm leaning toward a 4-16X power and 56 reticle.

Those yotes definitely take priority. I would be conservative on the power. Leupold 3-18 would be a good one to check out. ???price range

Bushnell has 4.5x to 30x, covers everything? :p

I think 4-16x max is perfect for your situation.. I use to have 10x fixed and honestly.. it was more than perfect from 100 to 600 yards (but i'm a target shooter).. my brother has a nightforce that has max 16x (forgot the lowest setting on it but i know its around 4x) and its extremely convenient... The scope power is a little funny.. you really don't need an insane amount of zoom for hunting (according to the range you described).. anything over 16x becomes either troublesome or luxury.. target acquisition can be annoying.. finding wind with out taking your eyes off target (assuming no spotter.. plus.. you'll want to watch the area around your target so you don't hit anything else on accidnet.. what i mean by luxury is zooming 24x on to a 100 yard target so you know for sure your aiming dead center..

ATACR and BEAST are Nightforce's new scopes.
ATACR is 5-25x56 SFP and available today for in the neighborhood of $2500
The BEAST is their 5-25x56 FFP flagship model that's coming out soon for around $3500.
Both are reported to have glass and features at least the equal of German and Austrian optics (S&B, Premier, Kahles, Steiner, etc.)

Both have too much power at the low end for hunting and more power than you need on top.

A 3.5-21x50 Bushnell DMR is all you need.
It's a little heavy for a hunting rig, though.

Joe

F1 is the way to go....

My NF F1( FFP 3.5-15X50) has been plenty of scope for engaging targets past 1K yards. This pic shows 5 shots at 1020 yards....the heavy splash in the middle was my POA.

Attachments

• 1020.jpg
    1020.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
March 3-24x42
Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50
USO 3.2-17x44
Nightforce 3-15x50
Leupold mark 6 3-18x44

Go 20-25x on the top end. It's always nice to have the extra power and be able to spot hits or for smaller targets. Target size really is the big decider. If you are shooting large torso sized steel then lower power is fine but if you plan on shooting MOA sized targets than having more power is nice.

You can always dial a 25x scope down to 16x but you can't dial a 16x up any farther.