• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chop Barrel and install brake?

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Want to chop my 22 inch .308 to 18, and have a Surefire brake installed. Anyone recommend a smith near Jacksonville Fl?

Want to chop my 22 inch .308 to 18, and have a Surefire brake installed. Anyone recommend a smith near Jacksonville Fl?

I can't help you with a smith in JAX. But if you can't find one locally, send it off to Short Action Customs. I sent my 700 SPS to Mark @ SAC to have the barrel chopped a bit, a Badger Brake installed, and the chamber recut. He did a phenomenal job. The gun went from being a stock 3/4 -1 MOA shooter to being a consistent .5 MOA or better. Its even delivered several < .3 MOA 5-shot groups when the nut behind the trigger does his part.

You won't be disappointed: Short Action Customs | Your Foundation for Precision

If you DO go local - make absolutely sure your smith can do quality work on threading the barrel true and getting the muzzle re-crown perfect. Ask if he has any references for other similar work he's done. This is one thing you don't want to screw up.