• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chopping 308 barrel real short

Gunnut105

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2007
PA
I was thinking about chopping my 308 barrel down to 15" and then permanently mounting my AAC flashhider. What kind of performance should I expect from such a short barrel. I would be shooting a distances less than 200yds and wanted a really compact system for use with my can.

Re: Chopping 308 barrel real short

I shoot a 15" 308 for my Encore handgun and it does just fine, I also have a DPMS 308b with an 18" barrel, not a pinch a difference in drop to 200 yards between the two.

Ron

Besides the obvious loss of velocity and lack of complete powder burn, you should be fine for 200 yards.

I would like to hear back on what type of velocity you are getting and group size.

I think at that range, you'll find no regrets. I once owned a 13" Galil in .308, and it was a hell of a rifle! Only thing was you had to take care to close your mouth before firing, as it would make your teeth hurt! That little "meat axe" was no slouch further out either. I wish I could have kept it.

Cheers... Jim

Shorter barrels actually tend to be more consistent, because they're more rigid and less harmonics to worry about. Should be a shooter. Plus with some of these faster burning powders, you probably won't give up as much fps as you might think.

Thanks for the replies. I believe I'm going to have it chopped down. Can anyone suggest a smith that can shorten the barrel and also permanently attach my AAC flash-hider.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order --

A10XRifle
HateCA
Hooper

One of these members should be able to take care of you.