• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chopping Cooper Prec. 26" .308 AW barrel to 16"

DarinR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2007
Haysville, Kansas
Everyone,

I have a Cooper Precision 26" .308 barrel that was made for the Arctic Warfare a few years ago that I am wanting to chop to 16" for full time use with a sound suppressor. Any reason to cut it to 18" or 20" instead? I am looking for portability over absolute velocity. The thinner profile of the factory 26" AW barrels leads me to believe the 16" length would offer a good deal more rigidity than it currently has.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on only cutting it to 18" or 20". It will be used for hunting, target shooting and suppressor demostrations.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss
Black Hills Armory

Re: Chopping Cooper Prec. 26" .308 AW barrel to 16"

I would probably stay a little over 16" so that in the event that there was an oops during the cutting/threading process, you don't end up with a barrel you have to get an SBR permit for. An inch longer will not make or break your project which sounds pretty cool btw.