• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chopping down a fluted factory barrel?

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
Being a Savage fanboy I have accumulated several actions and barrels. One of which is a fluted 308 varmint contour with the factory muzzle brake off of a FCP-K. Anyway, I've got a bunch of heavy ass aftermarket bull barrels on the actions now that aren't good for hunting/carrrying. Is it possible to chop the 308 barrel down to 16-18 inches despite flutes? I know it would look goofy but I want a light barrel for hunting/carrying. I would rather avoid buying a new barrel when this one was a fairly low round count and it surprisingly accurate.I think I could only cut about 2-4 inches off the muzzle before the flutes started. Thanks!

I've had to cut fluted barrels down for customers before. What I do to pretty it up is spin on a over-sized brake like a Holland Quick Discharge.

Why not use a factory sporter barrel, get take offs for dirt cheap.

Well that would be 60 more bucks I have to spend on another barrel. I am done with the 308 Win as a long range precision and have moved on to higher performance rounds. Might as well make an accurate barrel out of it for hunting.

Lucky Jack, that is pretty good thinking to get stuff a bit neater looking. I may have it threaded and a thread protector installed.