• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms 22 Ranger owners - questions

texasrimfirenut

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2020
East Texas
For you that own the CA 22 Ranger I am curious about some issues I am having.

I know there were some reported extraction issues but I was hoping we were past that by now. My gun shop has been trying to get one in for a good while now and Thursday, they were finally able to get one in. I ran up and snagged it, got home, mounted the scope and cleaned and oiled per website instructions.

I had hoped this was a newer one off the line and wouldn't have the extraction issues. Don't know how new mine is and can't assume this is a newer one off the line even though my dealer is a Christensen Arms dealer and just now getting this.

So here is what mine is doing:

CA Example 1.JPG

80% of the time, its like the claws have a good hold on it and I have to drop the magazine and pry the empty rounds loose.

CA Example 2.JPG

About 10% of the time it doesn't get stuck in the claws but falls on top of the magazine:

CA Example 3.JPG

And then, lastly, about 10% of the time I seem to get a proper ejection.

SO my question on this is: Is this the normal old extraction issues that have been regularly reported or something new. Is there a quick fix for it so I don't have to send the gun back and miss so much time with it?

NEXT UP:

There is a gap between the action and the stock. Also even though the stock screws are in and seem darn tight, the barrel will move from one side of the barrel channel to the other without much effort at all. When doing this the stock along where the action is flexes quite a bit and the gap between the action and stock opens up wider and narrower as the barrel moves around in barrel channel easily.

Since all this occurred straight out of the box, I haven't really had an opportunity to ammo test much but I would expect it not to be great with all the gap and action moving around in the stock.

So is this normal on the stock as well to do this?

Thanks for any information.

Sorry man. I had one on order and cancelled. I really wanted this to be my next rifle, but I am kind of glad it wasn't. So much promise. I hope they get it sorted and it is as awesome as it should be.

Reactions: texasrimfirenut
I did a complete review when I first got mine. While there is a lot that I like about the rifle...it definitely has a few issues.

I did send it back to Christensen and will say that they are fantastic with communication. I just got the rifle back and it seems that the extraction issues mentioned in my review have been corrected.

The rifle is feeding better now, but I do think the anorexic bolt leaves too much room to get what I can only describe as a smooth travel. It seems like the railways need to be polished, but I'm sure it's the flex in the bolt more than anything.

I'm actually reaching out to them later today though because in my review, I mentioned that I thought the feed angle was an issue and the bullets were shaving lead entering into the chamber. What I've learned after getting it back and paying closer attention, is that the bottom of the bolt is dragging along the top of the next case in the magazine, leaving a distinct mark on the case and shaving a line of lead on the bullet.

My Ruger American and my Ruger 77/22's do the same thing, but if Christensen could fix that, it would be that much better...

Christensen Ranger Review

Once I swap out the trigger for a TT Diamond, I plan to see if I can shrink those groups... A 2.5lb trigger on a 5 lb rifle doesn't make it that easy...

I did a complete review when I first got mine. While there is a lot that I like about the rifle...it definitely has a few issues.

I did send it back to Christensen and will say that they are fantastic with communication. I just got the rifle back and it seems that the extraction issues mentioned in my review have been corrected.

The rifle is feeding better now, but I do think the anorexic bolt leaves too much room to get what I can only describe as a smooth travel. It seems like the railways need to be polished, but I'm sure it's the flex in the bolt more than anything.

I'm actually reaching out to them later today though because in my review, I mentioned that I thought the feed angle was an issue and the bullets were shaving lead entering into the chamber. What I've learned after getting it back and paying closer attention, is that the bottom of the bolt is dragging along the top of the next case in the magazine, leaving a distinct mark on the case and shaving a line of lead on the bullet.

My Ruger American and my Ruger 77/22's do the same thing, but if Christensen could fix that, it would be that much better...

Christensen Ranger Review

Once I swap out the trigger for a TT Diamond, I plan to see if I can shrink those groups... A 2.5lb trigger on a 5 lb rifle doesn't make it that easy...

Good review. Enjoyed that.

Did you have the stock flex and gaps around the receiver like mine does?

Thank you!

Hope you get those issues worked out! Might be a good 'woods' gun some day.

Hope you get those issues worked out! Might be a good 'woods' gun some day.

Oh I have faith they will get it all worked out and yes I bought it for a woods gun to walk around behind the squirrel dog who doesn't like to quit and go home, lol. She gives me great exercise.

Reactions: STex
Well after a week of the gun being back I called CA because I never got an email, as stated I would, that they had received the gun.

I was told that I would get an email when they got it checked in and that I was looking at 4 to 5 weeks for repair.

They sound like they are hugely backed up. Sounds like so many others must be having like problems. This doesn't give me a lot of comfort I must admit. Enough problems coming back in that they can't even get it checked in over a weeks time. Mmmmm. Not feeling comfortable any more about the 6.5 creedmoor I was going to purchase. I think I am going to grab the 6.5 up in Tikka.

Reactions: TahoeDust
Don’t send it back for that. Mine didn’t eject worth a shit, zero times out of every. The extractors hold tight. So tight it was tough to remove spent Brass. So tight that the inside cut ramp on the side of barrel/chamber is gone after maybe 500 rounds of some CCI Standard velocity but mostly Blazer Brass Standard which I’m pretty sure is the exact same thing for less $$. Don’t tell anybody tho.
The fix for the ejection issue is as easy as it gets but they got that dude answering phones that’s paid to say, “Oh Yeah. You gotta send that in right away.”
Don’t do it until you try bending the stationary part of the ejection system towards the bolt, I believe. It’s obvious when you look at it. I’m gonna call it the ejection stop maybe ejector rod or ejector stay?? No reason to send back until you try this. When you rack the bolt back, the bolt really has a grip on spent casing. My ejection stop wasn’t bent into bolt enough to get even touch spent shell on way back let alone dislodge it from those claws. I bent it a little further than I felt comfortable doing but you can see exactly what needs done if this is your problem. It was definitely mine. I didn’t have another single issue with my Ranger after that. Dead Chipmunks 100yrds away every day. My issue surprised me at about the 500rd mark right after zeroing in iron sights and making a couple slight adjustments on optic. Loud “Pop”at the wrong end of the barrel and powder in face and nose. Powder was burnt and “Pop” was loud. I didn’t catch it at first and tried another round after checking barrel for a 40gr lead plug and not finding one. Here’s what it looks like if I can upload pic. I gotta find a new favorite go to .22.
CZ Varmint Trainer Camo Carbon fiber or And-One??
I also need to figure out a way to have them send me a barrel vs sending whole gun in unless there are other upgrades it will receive while there??
476BF3D0-E6C6-4797-965B-FDCFB0A68856.jpeg
The Chipmunk head looking thing with two Orange arrows pointing at it in photo is what you gotta bend to make sure it makes contact on the inside half of spent shell when you rack back bolt. Hope it works for You and Thanks for letting me Hide Out Here 👍🏾
17D200F9-DBE9-484B-9DDE-A049B5E6EEBE.png
98FF511B-8A51-4E75-95EE-C165FE652DD7.jpeg
22B210EE-C390-4A27-A7FD-64B3D3BB5679.jpeg