• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms Mesa - Seeking opinions/experiences

Maverick124

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
I am considering the purchase of a Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in 300 Win Mag for an elk hunt this fall. I'm seeking some thoughts and opinions on this rifle. Thanks in advance!

They're a decent gun, most shoot alright but they all benefit from a good bedding job. Their stocks are heavy(or were) now they've redone most the stocks in their line up, but the factory spot bedding is junk. I'd personally go for a 300prc with the excellent factory match ammo available, unless you already reload for 300win. I have two CA rifles, a mpr 6.5cr, and a ridgeline 6.5x284. I bedded both, and with hand loads, they shoot very well. The chamber on the 6.5cr isn't centered perfectly with bore as you can see in the off center grooves inside the freebore, but its still well under moa out to a long ways, shoots very small at 100y. The 6.5x284, is stupid accurate with 156s going 2930fps.

Reactions: Maverick124
They're a decent gun, most shoot alright but they all benefit from a good bedding job. Their stocks are heavy(or were) now they've redone most the stocks in their line up, but the factory spot bedding is junk. I'd personally go for a 300prc with the excellent factory match ammo available, unless you already reload for 300win. I have two CA rifles, a mpr 6.5cr, and a ridgeline 6.5x284. I bedded both, and with hand loads, they shoot very well. The chamber on the 6.5cr isn't centered perfectly with bore as you can see in the off center grooves inside the freebore, but its still well under moa out to a long ways, shoots very small at 100y. The 6.5x284, is stupid accurate with 156s going 2930fps.
Thanks for the response amigo, it is much appreciated

Thanks for the response amigo, it is much appreciated
No problem, myself personally, if I'm ever going to the ffl to pick up a new factory rifle, I bring my bore scope. Check out the crown, chamber/lead. Look for any major defects in rifling. If I see something I don't like, I dont pick it up and send it back.

I was not happy with my 6.5C Mesa, could not get it to shoot under 1.25 MOA with match ammo in 5 shot groups. Didn’t want to bother sending it in, as I’m sure they’d cherry pick a 3 shot “group” and send it back. I think there’s a reason why you see full racks of used ones at Scheels.

I went to a Tikka that shoots .6 MOA 10 shot groups at 400 and haven’t looked back.

I was not happy with my 6.5C Mesa, could not get it to shoot under 1.25 MOA with match ammo in 5 shot groups. Didn’t want to bother sending it in, as I’m sure they’d cherry pick a 3 shot “group” and send it back. I think there’s a reason why you see full racks of used ones at Scheels.

I went to a Tikka that shoots .6 MOA 10 shot groups at 400 and haven’t looked back.
Which Tikka did you go with?

I bought my son a 6.5C mesa and it shoots lights out with 143 factory ammo. My buddy bought a ridgeline and it shoots terrible. $500 worth of ammo later and he's sending it back. From my experience and from reading quite a few stories, it's still a crap shoot whether you get a shooter or garbage from them.
Unfortunately so, because the mesa really is a lot of gun for the money if you get a good one.