• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen arms Mesa vs savage 110 precision

300prc_sniper

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2021
Meadville, Pa
Alright guys this is my first post I am looking to be able to do a combination of hunting and prs shooting I have knowledge of guns but I am looking for a very precise very smooth gun (keeping in mind my total budget is 2500 or less) I’m interested in both of the guns above because the savage has a blueprinted action factory as well as the fluted barrel and brake all while being in a mdt lss chassis however the Christensen arms Mesa I have hear mixed things but what I don’t know is whether or not the action on the Mesa is machined also any suggestions on setups less than 2500 in 300 prc would be awesome 2500 is max for everyhing

GAP has a production rifle, so does MPA and Deep South Tactical does as well. You'd be better off in any of those three.

Reactions: nn8734
I don’t know is whether or not the action on the Mesa is machined...

I would think it’s machined like any other rifle action in existence.

Is this your first “long range” rifle? Or do you have anything in a short action chambering like 6.5 creed or 260 Remington?

What percentage of the time are you going to shoot PRS vs hunting? And what do you plan on hunting that requires a 300PRC? Elk, Grizzly?

I ask these questions as it’s generally difficult for most rifles that does both hunting and PRS very well without a ton of compromising in one direction or another. Hunting = a few well place rounds, PRS = lots and lots of rounds, mostly well-placed.

if you don’t already have a short action and don’t need to bring down Elk or some other outsized game animal at long range, I’d consider a short action in 6.5mm. Otherwise, I’d save your pennies and go with some sort of multi caliber system.

I’m sure some folks do it, but I’d never shoot a PRS match with a 300 PRC when things like 6mm and 6.5mm short action chambers exist.

I have a blueprinted Savage APO w/ 24” fluted barrel in .308. I picked it up because they had 10 of them for $600 (maybe $699 can’t remember) and everyone wanted 6.5CM back then apparently for $1200 asking price. It shoots lights out w/ 175 SMK and 42.2 H4895 and 1 MOA 10 shot group 185 Juggernauts consistently (which is what I’ve recorded mostly). Look around. I’ve yet to change the trigger but that may shave another 1/4” off as it has in other rifles I’ve owned. I also have a CA MPR that cost 3x as much. It shoots about the same. Albeit, weighs a lot less...which is funny as everyone is adding weight to rifles 😂🍻
0516338B-51A2-4FEE-9FDA-423050B69D0C.jpeg13170DEA-1475-4DD5-B1FD-8FFF64C92A50.jpeg6DFD2F44-0EE5-4793-827B-8ED69906D92C.jpeg4AE39DA8-CF58-4BB8-8D40-F7AD2FF3E169.jpeg2AE77B58-E39A-455C-B356-6AF2E1AFEB44.jpg

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. What I should have asked is if the Mesa has a blue printed action like the savage does (fathers been a machinist for 40 years). This will be my first magnum, also interested in 6.5, this will be my first bolt action. All of my other rifles have been semi auto ar platforms and that’s good information. I’m looking to be able to stretch legs and be able to hunt. I want to get into prs but don’t know how many matches I’ll get to so in your opinion gimme a couple options and scenarios of what it’s good for and such thanks for the help.

Edited for punctuation sorry about that was in a rush when I wrote that reply.

I would think it’s machined like any other rifle action in existence.

Is this your first “long range” rifle? Or do you have anything in a short action chambering like 6.5 creed or 260 Remington?

What percentage of the time are you going to shoot PRS vs hunting? And what do you plan on hunting that requires a 300PRC? Elk, Grizzly?

I ask these questions as it’s generally difficult for most rifles that does both hunting and PRS very well without a ton of compromising in one direction or another. Hunting = a few well place rounds, PRS = lots and lots of rounds, mostly well-placed.

if you don’t already have a short action and don’t need to bring down Elk or some other outsized game animal at long range, I’d consider a short action in 6.5mm. Otherwise, I’d save your pennies and go with some sort of multi caliber system.

I’m sure some folks do it, but I’d never shoot a PRS match with a 300 PRC when things like 6mm and 6.5mm short action chambers exist.

Last edited:
Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. I’m meaning to ask if the Mesa has a blue printed action like the savage does (fathers been a machinist for 40 years this will be my first magnum). Also interested in 6.5, this will be my first bolt action. All other have been semi auto ar platforms and that’s good information.

I’m looking to be able to stretch legs and be able to hunt. I want to get into prs but don’t know how many matches I’ll get to. So in your opinion gimme a couple options and scenarios of what it’s good for and such. Thanks for the help.

Here’s the first suggestion: Please use punctuation. Look at the quoted post and compare it to yours. Notice a difference? It’s hard to read a post consisting of one long, run-on sentence.

Second suggestion: go 6.5 creedmoor or maybe one of the 6mm chamberings. Cheaper to shoot and will enable you to get the fundamentals down without beating the shit out of you like a 300 PRC will. 6.5 will get you to 1000 meters in reasonable conditions. You can always go 300 PRC for a more purpose-driven use case such as big game hunting or ELR down the road. Just my opinion. Others may offer a different perspective.

Saw this RPR on GB, may fit within your budget.

Last edited:
I would never discourage someone from buying a tikka, but in this case if you have the funds the CA is going to be in a different league than the tikka. It'll have a better stock and arguably a better action. Barrel and trigger are moot as the tikka has exceptional for both. The CA will have other bells and whistles like a fluted bolt, optional muzzlebrake, etc... also.

Both will shoot, both will have great triggers but the quality has to go to CA (coming from a tikka fan, I have multiple rifle at the CA price point but still own a tikka and love it).

All that said if you have the funds for a CA you open up a lot if other options to consider beyond the CA.