• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JohnnyThe

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2023
NJ
Hi,

This is my first post..

I bought a CA MPR 300WM and like the rest of us, my experience has not been pleasant. I really want to love this rifle and had sent it back twice, now there is nothing left to discuss with CA. On my last go-around the barrel shot less than MOA (0.90) in a best of (4) scenario with 215gr Berger Hybrids...

I am looking to re-barrel this rifle with a carbon PROOF solution..

I am an avid shooter for many years and own a number of precision rifles - Precision is what I am seeking. I live in NJ and have access to shoot out to 1k locally but most of my target time is at 300yds. Once a year I make a pilgrimage deep into PA where I have access to 1760yds. I have heavily invested in Black Hills 190gr Match HP factory loaded and Barnes VOR-TX 180gr TTSX BT factory load.

Since I live in NJ, the gun will not see a suppressor so I have decided on a length of 26"

The question - 1:9 / 1:9.4 / 1:10 Deciding between these is where I'm struggling.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks!
John

My thoughts pretty much abandon your entire plan
For ELR don't use a carbon barrel.
1:8.5 go to 300 PRC or 30 Sherman Mag
Start hand loading.

If you are going to stick with your current plan, it doesn't really matter just pick one, personally 1:9 but that leads us back to the beginning of my post.

Reactions: JohnnyThe
I’ve shot my 300WM out to 2,000. It’s a 1:10 and I was shooting 225 ELDMs loaded at 2950. It is a 26” heavy profile and shoots nice. I wish I had gotten it in 1:8 so I could shoot the 230 A-Tips.

You should reload. Heavier projectiles and load customized for your rifle will do wonders.

In my 300wm I am shooting 220 Berger Hybrids i my AXMC with 1-9 30in Bartlein MTU contour barrel. I shoot the 220's at 2884 avg and groups at both 100 and 200 yards under .400.
If CA arms is a Rem 700 footprint action dump the CA chassis go with MPA,MDT or McCree chassis and new barrel. don't waste time and money on something you know doesn't work for you
I don't shoot any heavier 300wm bullets as I also have a 300NM with 1-8 30 in barrel

Reactions: JohnnyThe
I personally can't stand anything Christensen Arms makes. However I have seen a few of them shoot extremely well but most of them don't. My biggest question for you is if you can get it to shoot just under 1 inch group with Factory loads. You really should consider spending your money on reloading equipment because with hand loads it will most likely shoot sub half inch

I’ve shot my 300WM out to 2,000. It’s a 1:10 and I was shooting 225 ELDMs loaded at 2950. It is a 26” heavy profile and shoots nice. I wish I had gotten it in 1:8 so I could shoot the 230 A-Tips.

You should reload. Heavier projectiles and load customized for your rifle will do wonders.
Thanks Bandit. What twist would you use if limited to 180/190gr?

In my 300wm I am shooting 220 Berger Hybrids i my AXMC with 1-9 30in Bartlein MTU contour barrel. I shoot the 220's at 2884 avg and groups at both 100 and 200 yards under .400.
If CA arms is a Rem 700 footprint action dump the CA chassis go with MPA,MDT or McCree chassis and new barrel. don't waste time and money on something you know doesn't work for you
I don't shoot any heavier 300wm bullets as I also have a 300NM with 1-8 30 in barrel
Thanks Gixxer. What twist would you use if limited to 180/190gr?

Thanks Bandit. What twist would you use if limited to 180/190gr?

For that weight I think a 1:10 would be fine. My 1:10 stabilized the 225s. I think the faster twists are needed for the heavy A-Tips, the 245s, and longer projectiles.

I went with a 1-9 30in MTU contour for mine and I shoot up to 220's now. I shot 215 berger's with no problems in my previous 26in 1-10 in my AI-AXMC. So 180/190gr would be just fine.

Hi,

This is my first post..

I bought a CA MPR 300WM and like the rest of us, my experience has not been pleasant. I really want to love this rifle and had sent it back twice, now there is nothing left to discuss with CA. On my last go-around the barrel shot less than MOA (0.90) in a best of (4) scenario with 215gr Berger Hybrids...

I am looking to re-barrel this rifle with a carbon PROOF solution..

I am an avid shooter for many years and own a number of precision rifles - Precision is what I am seeking. I live in NJ and have access to shoot out to 1k locally but most of my target time is at 300yds. Once a year I make a pilgrimage deep into PA where I have access to 1760yds. I have heavily invested in Black Hills 190gr Match HP factory loaded and Barnes VOR-TX 180gr TTSX BT factory load.

Since I live in NJ, the gun will not see a suppressor so I have decided on a length of 26"

The question - 1:9 / 1:9.4 / 1:10 Deciding between these is where I'm struggling.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks!
John
Personally i'd sell the rifle and build one! Don't use a carbon barrel for long range shooting, For hunting they're great!