• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR Initial Review

Alexander Cain

Certifiable
Minuteman
May 14, 2014
South Carolina
I didn't see many reviews when I decided to purchase this so I figured I'd make a thread of my initial review and later update it once I get some more time with it.

Model: Christensen Arms MPR 26 inch 6.5 Creedmoor.

20180324_170853.jpg

Initial unboxing showed that it was well packaged, and pretty well covered in a light grease. I cleaned the weapon, stripped down what I could and then re-installed the scope base, and other screwed items with proper torque and light thread lockers. While taking everything apart I did not find ANYTHING loose on the weapon and it seemed to be well made. The only hesitation I had at this point was the flat trigger, as I am typically not a fan. However, a few turns with the ole allen key and the break was amazing, just under 2 lbs and it looks like it could go lower, but that was enough for me. Stock lockup is very tight, adjustment screws for the stock LOP and cheek height were very tight and almost scared me that I was going to round them out, but they held fine. Once cleaned and oiled the action is very smooth, still not a Tikka, but its very very smooth compared to my Remingtons out of the box.

I was lucky enough to find a good optic from member here, and a few quick days and it was here!
20180322_161547.jpg

I was postponed being able to shoot on Monday, as I got a call while loading my truck that a family member was in the hospital and I had to quickly throw it all back in the house and hurry there. But I was able to get it out Saturday at last. I used a set of Warne Rings, which I found on sale locally, as thanks to the barrel shroud the scope would not mount with the provided rings. Impressively enough the rings were a perfect match without any lapping which made my mounting much quicker. A few minutes with a bubble level and some string we were centered and set! Per Christensen they have a 50 round break in protocol. I used a 50 round pack of Hornady America Gunner for this. First 10 rounds clean after each shot, then clean ever 10 rounds after for 40 more. I was on a minor time constraint so I didn't get to let it sit as long as I would have liked between strings, but I was able to get a rough zero while getting the rifle broken in properly. (I also managed to get a nice "prove it" point to a friend that came out with his 300wm about how much POI shifts with a clean bore vs fouled bore) Here are the targets first was initial sight in, second rough groups and final 3 shot in the X (all groups fired at 100M laser measured distance): There are so random hits on a few targets as well because of us being idiots. All targets are 3" birchwood casey Shoot and See, I did not measure anything.
20180331_162255.jpg

20180331_182448.jpg

So the initial 50 rounds with "cheap" ammo were decent. I had several groups under MOA, but I also had fliers and other fun crap because I got tired of being patient and got a bit happy on the trigger. It was warm, and the sun was in our faces for the later part of the trip so I was not "at my best" and I also forgot my "match ammo" at the house. Don't know how, but what I did have was:
Federal 140gr Nosler Hunting Ammo
Hornady 140gr "Black" box
Federal 130gr Gold Medal Berger
Bulk Hornady American Gunner 140gr 200round pack (used for break in and a few plink shots after)

Federal 140gr Nosler Hunting
20180331_180816.jpg

Federal 130gr Gold Medal Berger (Second group was split because I decided to hold .1 mil lower to try and keep it on the shoot&see)
20180331_180818.jpg

20180331_180822.jpg

Hornady 140gr Black Box (first group is 4 together, one called flyer) (Second group I had very bad mirage, let me find a few more excuses... sun, tired...)
20180331_180813.jpg

20180331_182438.jpg

Final Thoughts:
I very much like this firearm. the fit and finish is very good, all the machining is very clean. It looks incredible in person, and everyone that has see it so far has been impressed. The chassis is great, and l love being able to swing the stock over to clean the weapon easier. Adjustments are easy, however they do require an allen key, if that matters to anyone. The trigger was phenominal and I am sure my groups would have been better had I not been shooting off a bag on the ground. I usually use a very heavy picnic table, but one of the branches broke off out oak tree and smashed it and I'm too damn lazy to fix it right now. Considering it's size it is very light, I did not weigh it yet so I can't tell ya how much she's sitting at right now. It doesn't seem too bad till I throw my atlas way out on the end of it. I fired 100 rounds that first day over the course of 3-3.5 hours, and I was in direct sunlight so there was not a "whole lot" of cooling time, but I did swap over a few times to shoot my BCM a bit. I will get all of my "match" ammo and take it out next time to do a follow up to this initial review, and I'll try to have a better rest platform too. But considering I was on the ground between my atlas and a bag, I think the rifle is quite capable. Interested to see what handload 143 ELDX loads will do.

Extra pics to come in following post due to limits.

Last edited:
That is sweet looking rifle, I have been eyeing them since they were first shown. I am really liking the chassis and wish I could get my hands on one, hope they will offer the bare chassis at some point.

I've been working with the 16" .308. Great rifle, Not being used to shooting a light gun, I really can tell when my position is off. Fine as it makes me pay attention to the fundemental's. It is accurate, factory match keeps the holes touching and tweaking the loads now. Great rifle though, glad your is doing fine. A .223 version would be sweet and would buy one in a minute, my bet is we see a short .300BO or a .224V first though

Thanks for the review, not a whole lot of info out on these yet.

Can't wait for mine to come in (300wm), ordered it back in February...was told 10 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mine came in yesterday, will wait till I get a chance to shoot it before reviewing.

Thanks for the review, not a whole lot of info out on these yet.

Can't wait for mine to come in (300wm), ordered it back in February...was told 10 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.
Initially I was looking for a 300wm, but after shooting this one I don't know how pleasant a 300wm would be lol.

do you think the 300 win mag wold be too much recoil ?
Likely up to person preference. Put a good brake on it and I bet it wouldn't be too bad. The MPR is 8.4 Lbs at most per Christensen's site. I doubt it would be unbearable as I've read plenty of posts with people liking their Tikka T3x Lite in 7Mag or 300WM. That rifle is lighter than the MPR.

I have a 300NM on order and I'm sure if both were compared unbraked it will be noticeably more recoil than my heavy TAC A1 in 6.5. But with a TBAC Ultra 338 on it I'm confident it'll be comfortable.

Anyone get a chance to get to range this week? I have loads ready to go for tomorrow morning.

So far I like the rifle. The composite work isn't perfect, but won't effect functionality. The action is clearly better than a 700 and the raceways appear to be EDM cut. However not up to the level of my TL3. I think I actually prefer my T3x action to the Christensen as well, but not being a 700 clones that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Still haven't decided if I want to keep the barreled action or not.

Anyone get a chance to get to range this week? I have loads ready to go for tomorrow morning.

So far I like the rifle. The composite work isn't perfect, but won't effect functionality. The action is clearly better than a 700 and the raceways appear to be EDM cut. However not up to the level of my TL3. I think I actually prefer my T3x action to the Christensen as well, but not being a 700 clones that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Still haven't decided if I want to keep the barreled action or not.
I like the action and trigger, I have 6 match factory loads to try out side by side with my T3X next time I get to the range so I'll do a little side by side testing. Worst case I'll get a barrel for it down the road. If it likes the 143 or 147 loads I'll be happy. Haven't gotten my reloading stuff set back up yet so that's a project for later.

I cant wait for mine in 338LM on order. I just got a NF ATACR 7-35 for it. Anyone know if the 1.181 inch ring heights will work or will i be forced to bump up to the 1.5 inch ones?

I cant wait for mine in 338LM on order. I just got a NF ATACR 7-35 for it. Anyone know if the 1.181 inch ring heights will work or will i be forced to bump up to the 1.5 inch ones?

I have an ATACR 7-35 and you'll love the glass on it. But I don't plan to put it on my 300NM MPR due to the scope's weight. Just seems out of character with the lightweight MPR. I'll be putting a Razor AMG on my MPR instead.

For the rings - according to this calculator (objective outer diameter is 65mm on the ATACR), you're likely about 4.5mm too low with the 1.181 ring height.

I would estimate mine weighs about 9.5 pounds with optic. Recoil certainly feels heavier than my other guns despite the brake. As far as accuracy is concerned, I've been getting right around 1/2 MOA with Berger hunting VLDs and H4350. Velocity around 2740.

I'm going to try RL16 and 143 ELDx next, wonder if I can break 2800 with that combo.

i just received my Christening MPR stock ...what magazine does it take in 300 Win Mag? How do you like yours?
It will be a CIP length (3.850) AICS pattern mag. The ones I got from MDT work great.

Reactions: Alaska
It will be a CIP length (3.850) AICS pattern mag. The ones I got from MDT work great.
Thank you for the info
really excited about this stock
i actually mounted it on Christensen 338 Win Mag. I suspect it will use the same magazine as the 300 Win Mag.

My RPR has a tight throat also. I measured all my bullets I reload in the RPR with my Hornady OAL. I need to load to the book and this gives me about 2 thousands to play with. 2 of the bullets can't be loaded to the book without being jammed into the lands. I suppose this is one of the things that makes this rifle a RPR rifle besides the rifling.

I put a rail on MPR what ring height for 50mm. I plan on using warne Mountain Tech Rings and rail? I will be using a Leupold MK 4 4.5x14x50.

I'm looking for ring height to put a Vortex AMG on the CA MPR. I plan to use Vortex Precision, but I'm open to others. I'm not confident in the online calculators because of the uniqueness of the MPR. I'd like to fit the sunshade and the 20 moa rail will affect that. Does anyone have experience pairing these?