• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR... Problems and Resolution

Alexander Cain

Certifiable
Minuteman
May 14, 2014
South Carolina
Well, I was finally able to get out to the range again with the "Good Ammo" that I had on hand. I am a bit less than pleased.
Initial Review was here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/christensen-arms-mpr-initial-review.6879393/
But, I wanted to post this as a thread of it's own due to the issues I found today.
The last time I shot this I was having consistency issues which I attributed to "bulk ammo" and other things (insert random excuse). So this time I decided to take my Tikka with me as well. My Tikka is a 20 inch CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor with leupold QR rings and some cheap scope Bushnell(?) "Legend HD Mildot" I had from a friend, however it is a known good shooter.
MPR is 26 inch, 6.5 CM
Plan: Fire 5 round groups of each ammo type, 2x per rifle & compare the groups. All groups fired at 100M off same rest & sandbag.
I will do the pt 2 review in the second posting. I will stick to issues for this section.

ISSUE 1: CONSISTENCY
I would get 2 or 3 rounds tight then flyers, and at first I was thinking it was just me. So after last time I double checked the torque on EVERYTHING on the rifle. I began to notice as it got warmer, the groups shifted big time (an inch or more), and we are talking just a few shots. I tried taking a few moments between shots and that didn't help either. So I decided to put 25 rounds through the rifle ( had 2x 10 round and 3x 5 round mags with me) and fire a steady pace to see what the group looked like.

This was fired from a caldwell "tac driver" front bag and a rear bag.
First 3 shots were tight on the right, the next few were around the middle, then the rest began walking down and left as it got hotter. I experienced the same issue with a Atlas bipod and sandbag as well. I did the same test with my Tikka in the next photo.
20180419_164426.jpg

This is 25+ rounds, fired in relatively quick succession. I did not take my time near as much as I did with the MPR and got much better results. I did pull a few slightly.
20180419_170424.jpg

I understand a hot barrel will open up, but this is not "opening up" its walking low and left the hotter it gets. Anyone got any ideas wtf is wrong with it?

PROBLEM 2: Ammo pressures -
I've seen pressure signs on several loads, many of the "match" loadings are showing some primer distortion, but nothing too serious. Till I tried this:
20180419_155855.jpg

20180419_154137.jpg
20180419_153631.jpg

I cleaned up the bolt and checked the rifle, everything appeared fine. I only fired 2 rounds of this ammo and both did this, and I experienced a sticky bolt as well. The other 18 rounds fired flawlessly through my Tikka with no pressure signs. I was under the impression most ammo was made for longer barreled 6.5 CM. I do not understand why 6 inches would show that much of a difference. All other rounds of other ammo types were fine.

Overall, I like the rifle itself. The chassis is nice, I like the trigger, I like the brake, I like the action too. But it is just not "shooting like a 2500 rifle." My "budget" 308 SPS Tactical shot 3x better than this with that shitty hogue stock on it. Hell my Ruger GSR shoots better than this. At least more consistently. I'm pretty irritated with it in general right now. Debating talking to Eurooptic & Christensen about it. I don't see myself getting another CF barrel.

Reactions: NormanChang
+= MPR VS CTR =+
The AMMO:
20180419_134554.jpg
THE TEST:
2x 5 shot groups per rifle of each ammo type
10 rounds fired consecutively, with a short pause between strings of 5.
Rifles allowed 15 min to cool between each 10 shot string. Barrels cool to the touch.
Both optics run at 14x magnification
Same rest & rear bag used for both rifles.
Target dots are 2 inch dots
The only variable besides the rifles was my growing irritation.
I did fire 10 rounds of american gunner thru both rifles for the same of verifying zero and fouling prior to testing.

TEST 1: 147gr ELD Match #81501
Left two targets are CTR, right two are MPR (f*cking first shot is almost always a flyer, neither rifle loved it)
20180419_151025.jpg

TEST 2: Hornady 143gr ELD-X Precision Hunter #81499
Top two CTR (I f*cked that left target), bottom two were MPR

20180419_151051.jpg

TEST 3: Hornady 140gr ELD Match #81500
Left 2 are CTR, right two are f*cking blank because it was too hot for the MPR. Those are the two shots I fired that blew primers*
20180419_155903.jpg

TEST 4: Barnes 140gr Precision Match OTM BT
Top CTR, bottom MPR (Listen, I got excited because that left target 3 shot clover was my first 3 shots and I thought I finally found "the load." F*ck no)
20180419_155929.jpg

TEST 5: Federal Premium 140gr Nosler Accubond (this shit kicks much harder than anything else I shot today)
CTR Top(began to get annoyed pulled a bit), MPR Bottom (Got excited again on the right, but I'm thinking it was more miracle than accuracy)
20180419_162846.jpg

CONCLUSION: *SURPRISE* Tikkas can shoot. My MPR does not. It is "OK" at best, and I do not feel that it is close to being worth the $2500 MSRP based on accuracy. Everything else on it is GREAT, it just does not perform on a level that matches it's price tag. And i've yet to see a solid 5 shot MOA or better group. So, looking for opinions... Talk to christensen? just re-barrel it, the action and all is great...? Sell it and buy something else (Seekins Havak was my second choice)

Also need a brake for the Tikka... 200 rounds in a day even with 6.5 you feel it a bit.

Bonus Pics!
20180419_134643.jpg

20180419_170901.jpg
20180419_171525.jpg

All brass from the "match ammo" was returned to the boxes they came in, this was just the extra bulk loads I fired.
CTR round count: 280
MPR round count: 160

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. My MPR shot unimpressive groups with factory ammo as well, but not quite as bad as those.

I should note that the 22" creedmoors seem to be shooting well while I've seen nothing special from the 26" barrel models.

My guess on the poi shift is a delam between barrel and composite material. Probably was never bonded well. A difference in thermal expansion would exacerbate this.

Here is my first day of load development where I just took some random loads to see if it would shoot with handloads. That is 2 different bullets various brass and powder charges of H4350. Time between groups was about 5 mins but weather was cooler. Subsequent load development has led to consistent groups in the .5s with a 140 VLD and H4350. I'm trying Hornady 143 ELDx and RL16 now since I'm trying to get higher velocities and Bergers are impossible to find.

My guess is you may have gotten a bad barrel and should call Christensen.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 358
Yikes!!! My $950 RPR does this after a fast 30rds at distance and a zero check at 100 with a HOT barrel and can. In gusty 15mph wind!

I would be pissed if a $2500 gun shot like yours!!

C91F3355-BD87-45CE-BBE6-E32C2DCA6DA5.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I was debating on a .338 Lapua (Savage, Christensen Arms, MPA, Sako, and custom build). I was gearing towards Christensen and Sako, but decided to go custom. I called Krieger and ordered a blank yesterday afternoon after debating whether or not to buy a CF barrel from Proof Research. I hope your gun issues get resolved.

Reactions: Bender
Thanks for the reply. I was debating on a .338 Lapua (Savage, Christensen Arms, MPA, Sako, and custom build). I was gearing towards Christensen and Sako, but decided to go custom. I called Krieger and ordered a blank yesterday afternoon after debating whether or not to buy a CF barrel from Proof Research. I hope your gun issues get resolved.
I don’t think that Christiansen carbon barrels are Proof. But I could be wrong. The Proof barrels I’ve seen shoot lights out, as good as any custom tube.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
@Bender, Thanks. I read a bunch of reviews before calling Proof a few days ago. I was debating between an all steel Proof and their CF barrel. I went with Krieger since the .338 was going to be my first build in a precision rig. None of Proof's vendors (from their site) had what I was looking for in stock, except Midway. Midway's price was a little higher for the CF wrapped, so I decided to go with Krieger. I've most worked on semis such as the AR15/ and AR10 barrels and felt the Krieger would be a good start and I would grab a Proof CF a little way down the future as a spare barrel or replacement.

I don’t think that Christiansen carbon barrels are Proof. But I could be wrong. The Proof barrels I’ve seen shoot lights out, as good as any custom tube.
Proof barrels are leagues better than Christensen barrels. I looked into getting a Christensen rifle a few years ago and found extremely inconsistent reviews on them, usually related to accuracy. That doesn't seem to have changed yet.

Reactions: RTH1800 and Bender
No offense but your CTR groups are far from bugholes or consistent either. All except for your 25 round group comparisons are similar and equally inconsistent with flyers for the most part. Plenty of the CTR groups are walking all over too but not as bad as the 25 round group from the MPR. What I see from that MPR 25 round group is several individual groups which tells me you're not breaking the shot the same each time.

My advice, throw the grip that comes with the MPR in the trash. I found it nearly impossible to get good accuracy with that skinny POS. Replace it with a MPA enhanced grip, and lower your trigger pull weight a little and you should get more consistent results. If you don't, I'm sure Christensen will take care of you.

No offense but your CTR groups are far from bugholes or consistent either. All except for your 25 round group comparisons are similar and equally inconsistent with flyers for the most part. Plenty of the CTR groups are walking all over too but not as bad as the 25 round group from the MPR. What I see from that MPR 25 round group is several individual groups which tells me you're not breaking the shot the same each time.

My advice, throw the grip that comes with the MPR in the trash. I found it nearly impossible to get good accuracy with that skinny POS. Replace it with a MPA enhanced grip, and lower your trigger pull weight a little and you should get more consistent results. If you don't, I'm sure Christensen will take care of you.

While I agree the grip is trash, and I was looking at an ergo large, MPA enhanced and a few others, I also admit I am no sniper. My point is I'm almost 200 rounds in and I've not had a single grouping I'd be happy with. I'm going to take my 700 out of my KRG chassis and swap over the timney trigger and Christensen action to see what it will do. I was set solid around .5-.75 inch groups with my 700 with that combination. I'll probably also swap my scope over and take it to a local range with a bench.

However, I do not think that it will matter. I'm pretty confident there is something wrong with it. I can't even get it to zero right because my first shots are always high right, then it'll walk towards center as it gets warm, then keep walking low left. That inconsistency is the only consistency I've had with it.

It’s always frustrating when you’re having issues with a rifle.

Is my understanding correct that the first shots you fired in this range session was the 25 round group where the rifle was walking while warming up? If so I really have to lean towards it being the shooter warming up plus the shitty grip.

There’s just way too much inconsistency from both rifles. Even your Tikka group is 2MOA which is terrible. I only see one group out of all of them that I would even be remotely satisfied with even in the $1000 CTR.

I’m not trying to say you’re a bad shot, but man those are some equally terrible groups from both rifles.

I also find it very interesting that with the exception of 2 rounds your Tikka 25 shot group is in a diagonal string in the same direction and all as the MPR, just not as wide. Like it said in my last post though, by your original post it seems like you shot the MPR first warming up.

I stand by my assessment that there’s a ton of shooter error involved in all of this shooting with both rifles.

Reactions: Rebelirons
The large cluster of shots was at the end of the day. All of it was 140gr American Gunner. Literally the last shots fired. Now I was also shooting multiple different ammos for the other stuff in post 2. I'm also shooting from a relatively uncomfortable patch of ground. I usually shoot around MOA from this location. I had a bench but it was damaged.

The CTR likes 140 & 143 gr loads and shoots .75 consistently. I havent worked up any loads yet. This is from a bench. I do experience a decent bit of side to side movement when I shoot from prone, I'm a big dude so laying down is not my favorite shooting position.

Last time I took the MPR out myself and a coworker experienced the same stringing but I assumed it was still breaking in.

I will be going next week to a local range with another shooter to use a bench and a lead sled to prove what I believe I am dealing with. Or not. But based on 2 outings I've had the same right to left diagonal stringing with any type of ammo I use.

Last edited:
Just to comment on the American Gunner, I've surprisingly good results with it on both my CTR and my TAC A1.

Here is a target when I was checking to see the change in POI when using my Hybrid for the first time on my TAC A1 (have a TBAC Ultra 9 still in jail). Top left group was unsuppressed. 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The X marks POA on each group.

Attachments

• IMG_0607_Small.jpg
    IMG_0607_Small.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 376
Well, that's disappointing. I was wanting one in 300 Norma

I have an MPR in 300NM on order and, to be honest, this thread doesn't make me second guess that. I think if it is the rifle then Christensen will make it right. But I will keep track of this thread to see how it turns out.

Reactions: alfmoonspace
At this point I'm going to email christensen. I am going to give it one more shot at the range with myself and another shooter from a solid rest. Will update sometime next week when I get to the range. This is my weekend to work nights. Yay.

Have you ever thought of having someone else shoot both rifles to eliminate the shooters skill-set variable?

I've only handled the MPR, and was favorably impressed by it. I am an unabashed fan of the Fix, and the MPR is Fix'ish, while being a little warmer to the touch for cold weather hunting. This review is the only one I have seen, and it seems that maybe CA has not gotten their carbon barrel tech quite to where they thought it was. Only time will tell if its the barrel or not, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when another shooter tries it. Hopefully a competent shooter, so that you can trust his results. I would also say that you should make sure he adjusts the LOP and cheek to his needs.

Reactions: Random_Scrub
Perhaps it was missed, but between 2 outings it has been fired quite a bit by myself and another shooter. A 3rd shooter fired 2 groups thru it. None of us could achieve 5 shot MOA. Milhous is from Alaska and grew up shooting long range as well as hunting. He was shooting .75 moa with his 30-06 and hunting loads right beside me on the first outing.

I was debating getting one of the SWAT snipers to play with it if I can meet up with one of them when we are both off.

Perhaps it was missed, but between 2 outings it has been fired quite a bit by myself and another shooter. A 3rd shooter fired 2 groups thru it. None of us could achieve 5 shot MOA. Milhous is from Alaska and grew up shooting long range as well as hunting. He was shooting .75 moa with his 30-06 and hunting loads right beside me on the first outing.

I was debating getting one of the SWAT snipers to play with it if I can meet up with one of them when we are both off.

Any chances the optics, rail, or rings may have loosened under recoil ?

Any chances the optics, rail, or rings may have loosened under recoil ?
Before I took it out the first time I removed, cleaned and retorqued everything with proper lockers. I double checked it all prior to second. I'm probably going to take my 700 out of its chassis and take off the scope so I can swap it all over on the next outing. Just to eliminate any scope or chassis related possible issues.

I recently sent my Christensen back for it had horrible chrony results and second when I did a OAL to start reloading it was reamed to deep. My overall was longer then my 3.75 mag. Its been 2 weeks now and no return answer since they received it.

I recently sent my Christensen back for it had horrible chrony results and second when I did a OAL to start reloading it was reamed to deep. My overall was longer then my 3.75 mag. Its been 2 weeks now and no return answer since they received it.
Hmmmm... keep us informed how that goes. I'm going to give it one last shot this weekend to see how it goes. My new grip arrived last night and it definitely feels much better.

I would try a different scope before I blamed the rifle...I agree with Cory - You can not accurately draw the conclusion you have from the targets you have shown. You need a good control first.

Last edited:
Well... here's my update:
I double checked all torque specs, and I swapped scopes to my Viper PST. I fired 10 rounds to get it warm and foul the barrel. I brought another shooter and my wife with me today. My first 5 shot group with 130gr Federal Gold Medal Berger:
20180428_144756.jpg

I fired a second group [pulled one]:
20180428_150349.jpg

At this point I noticed it began "opening up" again:
20180428_150352.jpg

This was fired from a weighted leadsled, taking 30 seconds or so between shots for all 3 groups and 10 minutes between 5 shot groups. Needless to say I started to get annoyed. I handed it over to my partner and my wife to shoot. My partner is a better rifleman than I and his groups were as bad as mine. We decided to fire my second box of 130gr FGM out of it in one sitting. I fired 10 and he fired 10 back to back, 15-30 seconds between rounds we were both very slow and careful:
20180428_153421.jpg

Oh look, its stringing along low and left again. Same shit with myself and my partner. This is from a lead sled too. It was rock steady, no sway, patient trigger press and yes the new grip helps tremendously with getting a good trigger press but it didn't fix the walking barrel. If you drew a line down it it'd be a solid grouping off that line so I'm confident it's not us. Emails will be going out tonight to Christensen and Eurooptic.

I shoot maybe 10 rounds out of my steel barrel and then let it cool. I see nothing beneficial from getting a barrel scorching hot.
Carbon barrels heat up faster as well. Judging off those last groups you posted it shot great until the barrel got hot

I shoot maybe 10 rounds out of my steel barrel and then let it cool. I see nothing beneficial from getting a barrel scorching hot.
Carbon barrels heat up faster as well. Judging off those last groups you posted it shot great until the barrel got hot
It shouldn’t do this at all. Carbon, or not. Something definitely is not square. The barrel/action marriage is probably it.

Might be a foolish question but is the barrel torqued on well? It’s not slowly unscrewing is it?

Might be a foolish question but is the barrel torqued on well? It’s not slowly unscrewing is it?
Does not appear so, 12 o'clock position on brake still. I'm aware there is "nothing beneficial to getting a barrel hot" except that it shows a big issue with the system, groups should open up not walk away. And it has only fired maybe 2 groups that were within MOA and even a terrible gun will eventually print a lucky group so that is irrelevant.

The barrel sheds heat quick, but I assume the core is not cooling as fast as exterior. But as of now emails have been sent.

They remove a lot of steel when profiling the barrel which induces stress in the barrel. Likely the barrel wasn't stress relieved prior to carbon fiber wrapping so the residual stresses are still there. If it were an all steel barrel it could be stress relieved by 300 Below or a similar outfit. Given the different thermal expansion rates of carbon fiber and steel stress relief would likely cause delamination and would void any warranty anyhow.

I just don't see what's wrong with a plain old fashioned steel barrel in the first place. Seems like carbon fiber is just a sales gimmick when applied to a barrel.

They remove a lot of steel when profiling the barrel which induces stress in the barrel. Likely the barrel wasn't stress relieved prior to carbon fiber wrapping so the residual stresses are still there. If it were an all steel barrel it could be stress relieved by 300 Below or a similar outfit. Given the different thermal expansion rates of carbon fiber and steel stress relief would likely cause delamination and would void any warranty anyhow.

I just don't see what's wrong with a plain old fashioned steel barrel in the first place. Seems like carbon fiber is just a sales gimmick when applied to a barrel.

I am looking at a carbon barrel for my next build. It's going to be a lighter (not light) weight hunting rifle. I am looking at a carbon fiber barrel because I may or may not be using a suppressor. If I go with a steel barrel it would need to be a thicker profile (read more weight) to have enough meat to thread.

Reactions: NateVA

The goal is to cut weight and still maintain accuracy. it is also intended to cool faster. The idea for me was a semi-light weight rifle I could stretch to hunt at distance with a suppressor. It would be subjected to multiple rounds back to back at some times. I hunt coyotes, as well as other various varmints on pasture that is wide ope . Idc about overkill on varmints with the 6.5 because my dogs eat anything and that's who eats the squirrels (chew damn holes in everything) and other crap we kill.

I want to get this sorted. I also still plan to pick up a 300 WM because I'm not feeling too confident in the 6.5 on bigger game. More time behind it (if it gets fixed) may change my mind.

A friend of mine recently bought a christiansen Ridgeline in 300 rum, has carbon fiber barrel. Last time I talked to him he wasnt getting the results he was hoping for. He didn't really elaborate as to measurements of groups but he seemed less than impressed. He is a very experienced shooter/reloader with many miles under his belt. He also did mention he had to back off like 4 grain powder due to bolt opening hard on his Christensen vs his rem 700 in 300 rum with same load. Maybe not a big deal but thought it was worth mentioning. He just bought a RPR 6mm and he did tell me how well he thought it shot, as in he was impressed with it's accuracy. Hopefully you find a easy fix or they take care of the problem because the Christiansen rifles I've seen and handled definitely have the look and feel of quality.

Reactions: NormanChang
I still say shooter error. The first 3 groups are good accuracy minus the flyers which is probably shooter error, the 3rd group has a POI shift which is probably also shooter error from not being consistent behind the gun.

The 25 shot group was fired by at least two different shooters and at a slow enough pace and rests in between that the barrel should not be heating up to cause a shift. So what's changing? Personally I'm not aware of any barrel characteristic that can cause a shift like this when the barrel temp is kept mild so that's why I still don't think it's the gun. The barrel demonstrated good accuracy in the first groups.

Personally I think the use of the lead sled was counter productive. I've seen most shooters shoot worse on them because they still move enough under recoil to change POA and you end up fighting the gun more to get it back on target.

Was the ammo all the same lot? The Federal Gold Medal was the first ammo that I tested in mine and of the 4 boxes that my local walmart had and I purchased they were 3 different lots and only one of the lots shot acceptably. Two of the lots shot like shit and it showed up on both the chrono and the target. That wasn't the guns fault though.

I still say shooter error. The first 3 groups are good accuracy minus the flyers which is probably shooter error, the 3rd group has a POI shift which is probably also shooter error from not being consistent behind the gun.

The 25 shot group was fired by at least two different shooters and at a slow enough pace and rests in between that the barrel should not be heating up to cause a shift. So what's changing? Personally I'm not aware of any barrel characteristic that can cause a shift like this when the barrel temp is kept mild so that's why I still don't think it's the gun. The barrel demonstrated good accuracy in the first groups.

Personally I think the use of the lead sled was counter productive. I've seen most shooters shoot worse on them because they still move enough under recoil to change POA and you end up fighting the gun more to get it back on target.

Was the ammo all the same lot? The Federal Gold Medal was the first ammo that I tested in mine and of the 4 boxes that my local walmart had and I purchased they were 3 different lots and only one of the lots shot acceptably. Two of the lots shot like shit and it showed up on both the chrono and the target. That wasn't the guns fault though.
It was a hot swap. I fired first 10, rolled over to spotting scope and he fired last 10 right after. It kept walking down. I keep hearing shooter error, some of it is, no one is perfect. but there is an issue with the weapon. I can shoot a Tac A1 half to 3/4 moa from a bag and atlas. My CTR same thing. My 700 in a krg same thing. Hell, my 18" SPR ar15 within an inch all day prone with bag and bipod. Would I normally shoot 20 rounds of anything back to back like that? Also no. But with the issues I was having I knew if I kept shooting it would show the true nature of the issue.

Spoke with Christensen today. The rifle is going back to be checked out. Great guys to talk to and they seem to care. He advised it should be able to keep a decent group with 20 rounds. It should not be walking like that. Even if it's hot as hell it should only open up a bit.

I disagree, taking the guys word he's not dishonest (don't believe he is) and the fact the groups pretty much replicated themselves I agree with him. The time he took to provide data and pics on this thread makes me believe him JMHO. Could there be some shooter error, sure. But what he has posted is not indicative of that to me along with the info he has provided. I see consistensy, consistently good to shit. I'm no expert by any means , just trying to relate to a fellow shooters issues. His data makes me believe there's a mechanical issue of some sorts.

It was a hot swap. I fired first 10, rolled over to spotting scope and he fired last 10 right after. It kept walking down. I keep hearing shooter error, some of it is, no one is perfect. but there is an issue with the weapon. I can shoot a Tac A1 half to 3/4 moa from a bag and atlas. My CTR same thing. My 700 in a krg same thing. Hell, my 18" SPR ar15 within an inch all day prone with bag and bipod. Would I normally shoot 20 rounds of anything back to back like that? Also no. But with the issues I was having I knew if I kept shooting it would show the true nature of the issue.

Spoke with Christensen today. The rifle is going back to be checked out. Great guys to talk to and they seem to care. He advised it should be able to keep a decent group with 20 rounds. It should not be walking like that. Even if it's hot as hell it should only open up a bit.
That sounds stand up, hope the problem is fixed and I believe it will be. Like I said before Christensen seems like they produce a high quality product and I would expect nothing less from them, this thread in no way would keep me from purchasing anything from them, other than im a little on the fence on there carbon barrels

That's good that they're going to take a look at it. I've been shooting a TFM and besides my index knuckle hating where the swept bolt sits it's a great rifle and has shot well for me. It's in 6.5 Creedmoor as well and shoots really nice groups (sub half inch most of the time), even with 3,000 rounds on the barrel currently and I generally haven't had to worry too much about barrel temperature. They've been good people to work with, but just know it'll probably be slow to get the rifle back since they seem to be backed up on MPR orders still.

That sounds stand up, hope the problem is fixed and I believe it will be. Like I said before Christensen seems like they produce a high quality product and I would expect nothing less from them, this thread in no way would keep me from purchasing anything from them, other than im a little on the fence on there carbon barrels
I would imagine the whole process of bonding/wrapping the barrels, turning them, stress relief and other work going into it adds several compounding factors. I see the benefit of CF Barrels, and this, while disappointing, has not turned me off to them. CA's machine work is very good, I see quality in the product. Every company can have stuff come out with issues, it's how they stand behind it that matters. Currently borrowing a Tikka Tac A1 till I get my MPR back, its shipping tomorrow.

I would imagine the whole process of bonding/wrapping the barrels, turning them, stress relief and other work going into it adds several compounding factors. I see the benefit of CF Barrels, and this, while disappointing, has not turned me off to them. CA's machine work is very good, I see quality in the product. Every company can have stuff come out with issues, it's how they stand behind it that matters. Currently borrowing a Tikka Tac A1 till I get my MPR back, its shipping tomorrow.
The actions are pretty smooth and tight, or at least mine has been. Definitely keep it clean though, I found that the lug raceways are pretty tight. If you get too much dirt and grit in the action during the day the bolt gets sticky to close and open compared to something like a Bighorn or a Mausingfield.

Reactions: Mikhailovich
If the rifle is properly bedded, the scope munts and rings good to go, and the scope is good too that pretty much leaves the barrel. I have a few factory rifles that will walk the POI as the shot count goes up, which really isn't that unusual, i's still minute of deer accuracy. On the other hand my match rifles don't shift POI during a 20 round string. So unless proven otherwise I'll stick with residual stress as the cause.

As far as a 6.5 being adequate for game, should be more than fine for deer or pronghorns at 300 or 400 yards, keep the energy about 1200 ft/lbs. And hit them where it counts.

Reactions: Mikhailovich
It is not the shooter. I can say with absolute certainty the CA barrels are not what they used to be. I have a 300 RUM i bought a few years ago (before the ridge line introduction), and it shoots well and consistent out to 1000 yards. I bought a new 28 Nosler in March and the barrel alignment was so bad i couldn’t even zero my scope (Tangent Theta 3x15, so not a junker) at 100 yards with its available elevation OR windage. Sent it back to CA and took nearly a month and 12 emails to get it back. They said they changed out the barrel for a new one. Will try it again this weekend to see if it’s fixed.
For the money, most any other rifle I can think of would be more accurate.
I did buy mine from Eurooptic and if it is not fixed i will see about a exchange for basically anything else.

It is not the shooter. I can say with absolute certainty the CA barrels are not what they used to be. I have a 300 RUM i bought a few years ago (before the ridge line introduction), and it shoots well and consistent out to 1000 yards. I bought a new 28 Nosler in March and the barrel alignment was so bad i couldn’t even zero my scope (Tangent Theta 3x15, so not a junker) at 100 yards with its available elevation OR windage. Sent it back to CA and took nearly a month and 12 emails to get it back. They said they changed out the barrel for a new one. Will try it again this weekend to see if it’s fixed.
For the money, most any other rifle I can think of would be more accurate.
I did buy mine from Eurooptic and if it is not fixed i will see about a exchange for basically anything else.
I emailed eurooptic and was told basically that I was smoking the barrel and that it's not designed for any high volume of fire, and that anything more than 5 rounds at a time is abusing it. Which I was told by Christensen that this weapon is a good choice for PRS so I'd assume it should hold up to consecutive rounds... it got shipped off yesterday so we'll see. They seem more than willing to help me out. In the meantime I have a TAC A1 I'm trying out in 6.5cm it's a tack driver.

Reactions: RonSwanson
I emailed eurooptic and was told basically that I was smoking the barrel and that it's not designed for any high volume of fire, and that anything more than 5 rounds at a time is abusing it. Which I was told by Christensen that this weapon is a good choice for PRS so I'd assume it should hold up to consecutive rounds... it got shipped off yesterday so we'll see. They seem more than willing to help me out. In the meantime I have a TAC A1 I'm trying out in 6.5cm it's a tack driver.
Eurooptic is full of crap. I've been using a TFM for PRS without issues like that, there's definitely something up with the barrel or the rifle in general that's making it do weird things.

As far as being a good choice for PRS, it depends on what you prefer for the positional shooting - as light of a gun as possible or as heavy as possible. Two different schools of thought there really, each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Eurooptic is full of crap. I've been using a TFM for PRS without issues like that, there's definitely something up with the barrel or the rifle in general that's making it do weird things.

As far as being a good choice for PRS, it depends on what you prefer for the positional shooting - as light of a gun as possible or as heavy as possible. Two different schools of thought there really, each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
This TAC A1 feels much more like the heavy side of that argument. The MPR feels quite comfy to move around, it's a bit lighter for sure. If I can get the accuracy on par. A bit jelly of your TFM, what caliber?