• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR RIMFIRE!

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
So at Shot Show the new rimfire MPR series was released. Any opinions? How are the C.A. Steel and fiberglass barrels? Uses 10/22 mags also!!!

Reactions: obx22
I seriously want to see/handle one. The fusion of 10/22 mags with bolt actions seems to be on the upswing, the proof however will be in the shooting.

Christensen Arms makes pretty decent centerfire rifles. I know their Ranger (rimfire rifle) got some mixed reviews, but it looks like they put more effort into this one. The R700 Trigger compatibility is nice (plus comes with a TriggerTech) and the chassis seems really good quality. However, $1250 seems like a lot for a fancy RPR. I'm sure it's better than an RPR, so if you just want something like it to run well out of the box it should be a pretty solid option. No word on aftermarket or other barrel compatibility. If there is none you're kind of stuck with what you get.

While an RPR in my opinion isn't the best option out there for a bolt gun, it is cool that it uses 10/22 mags. Also, there are some aftermarket barrels and a couple chassis/stock options for it. Aftermarket triggers for the RPR are a tad limited, it'd still take barrel options over R700 trigger compatibility. But who knows, maybe this barrel will be killer and maybe the RPR barrels can be used. The CA MPR chassis is nice enough I don't think people would be swapping that out. Especially not after paying that much.

CA does guarantee sub MOA at 50 yards. However, they don't say how many rounds. Their centerfire guarantee is for 3 rounds at 100 yards sub MOA. If that's all they're guaranteeing here, that's not all that impressive. All in all, looks like a nice gun, but a very niche target market.

1707326066058.png

So if my count is correct, this makes 10 different manually operated firearms that use 10/22 magazines!

It looks nice but the trouble is loading ammo in the magazines by hand you will run into bullet nose damages or out concentrics to bore. I found out using the Maglula loader helps to prevents it. Another thing is there no lefty version so I’m not interested at this point.

The local store had some Gen 1 rangers when they came out. The bolts were rougher than sandpaper

• Wow
Reactions: Mark_Dorman
I should note. If Ruger would have made their RPRr in a chassis like this with a CF barrel as a “custom shop” option they probably would have done even better.

My gripe with the CA ranger has been the action.

Savages bolt action rimfire felt bette than the ones I handled (note I didn’t shoot them).

We had Rugers American rimfire, CZ 457, and tikka T1x all on the counter trying the actions and CA’s action was the worse by a long shot. Maybe the new ones are better or they smooth out with time but they were gritty and almost “zipper-y”.

The chassis looks great and I really want to handle one because on paper and in photos this gun checks so many boxes.

If it were any other action for this price with all the add-ons it would be a no brainer in my opinion. But I hunt more than I punch paper these days. This would get put in my backpack or on the wheeler all the time.

The new toggle action with its quick change barrel is another I’m eyeing.

I usually end up with my AR22’s broken down and packed.

Sorry for the rambling.