• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR

RgrDat

RLTW
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Anybody send any rounds down range with one of these? I am still likely getting the Tikka T3x TAC A1, but I had to ask about the CA MPR (in 6.5 CM). Is it worth the extra several hundred to a thousand dollars?

I purchased one in 300 PRC a few months ago. After the proper break in, I tried 230 Bergers, 225 ELD-M, and 230 atips. I tried a few powders and seating depths, but it never really impressed me much. I even shot a box of Hornady 225 ELD Match, and nothing noteworthy their either. I'm not saying it can't shoot well, but it never held a consistent sub MOA group even with a lot of load development. Even worse, the gun strings as it heats up. I thought it might be my cheap PST Gen 2, so I even tried using my MK5. Overall, not impressed with the rifle.

I called CA, and they said to send it back. I will update you once they get it back to me. However, there are a lot of good guns out there for $2k that I know shoot well.

My MPR was very accurate, but I sold it because there was no way to mount NV on the forend and it also had a ton of flex so wouldn't have worked well anyway.

Personally I'd buy a Fix and a Proof CF profit if that's the type of rifle you're after. It's a far better rifle all around. The Tikka TAC A1 is a good rifle too, but much heavier and their non SS barrels are slower than shit for some reason. The pin that holds the bolt release is a weak link, and their mags aren't the best either. I'd rather buy a CTR SS model and then drop it in a good chassis that uses AICS mags instead.

My MPR was very accurate, but I sold it because there was no way to mount NV on the forend and it also had a ton of flex so wouldn't have worked well anyway.

Personally I'd buy a Fix and a Proof CF profit if that's the type of rifle you're after. It's a far better rifle all around. The Tikka TAC A1 is a good rifle too, but much heavier and their non SS barrels are slower than shit for some reason. The pin that holds the bolt release is a weak link, and their mags aren't the best either. I'd rather buy a CTR SS model and then drop it in a good chassis that uses AICS mags instead.
You are spot on. I wanted to give CA a try, but I have a TL3 long action that needs a barrel. Wish I had just bought it a Proof and tossed it in a XLR instead. TIkka does make a good gun as a whole it seems.

Mine is a 22” used as a hunting rifle. Very happy with the accuracy. It replaced a Tikka T3 lite and is much more accurate than the Tikka.

Never owned a Tac A1 to compare to.

I purchased one in 300 PRC a few months ago. After the proper break in, I tried 230 Bergers, 225 ELD-M, and 230 atips. I tried a few powders and seating depths, but it never really impressed me much. I even shot a box of Hornady 225 ELD Match, and nothing noteworthy their either. I'm not saying it can't shoot well, but it never held a consistent sub MOA group even with a lot of load development. Even worse, the gun strings as it heats up. I thought it might be my cheap PST Gen 2, so I even tried using my MK5. Overall, not impressed with the rifle.

I called CA, and they said to send it back. I will update you once they get it back to me. However, there are a lot of good guns out there for $2k that I know shoot well.

What was the end result with this? Did you send it back? Were you shooting suppressed? CF barrel?

Sorry for all the questions... having major issues with mine [not ejecting cases, spraying, not grouping, floppy forend] and trying to sort through it.

Who has a Chassis that is as light and good looking as the MPR Bronze

I went with the Ruger RPR in 300 win Mag and it shoots bug holes functions flawlessly.
But want a lighter weight Chassis in 300WM to be more Packable still want the folding stock thou.

My buddy and I started shooting precision rifle matches together around the same time. I have the Tikka Tac A1 he has the MPR. Over time we've done slight modifications to each, nothing major, just muzzle brakes, triggers, various accessories and the like.
Both guns are in 6.5 creedmoor, both of them with the right hand loads shoot about the same size groups and that hasn't changed over time.
I haven't competed with his MPR, but I've shot it quite a bit and I can say it's really well built, but the ergonomics aren't for everyone, the cheek riser is made for robots and the stock trigger is a triggertech "special" which is nothing to write home about. It's a flat shoe, single stage and... OKAY. the stock Tikka trigger is a 2 stage and... Okayer.
The only other difference that really stands out are the magazines, the Tikka uses a double stack mag similar to the sako TRG, it's really nice and I don't seem to have issues with them, but they are spendy. The MPR uses the single stack AICS style I believe.

Being as objective as I can, I think unless you're used to high performance custom builds, they'll perform the same for you. Bear in mind one is several hundred more for that "same performance"

Attachments

• PXL_20201228_212259794~2.jpg
    PXL_20201228_212259794~2.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 143
Doesn’t surprise me that they perform the same. If anything my money would be on the Tikka. But you’re comparing a 7.5 lb rifle to a 11.25 lb rifle. Built for different purposes.