• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms Ranger cold weather light primer strikes

jasonshrt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2023
charlotte, nc
I did some searching, and couldnt find anything on this topic, so please forgive me if something has already been posted. I would appreciate any information you folks can help me out with. About three months ago, I bought a Christensen Ranger and have had absolutely zero issues with it until this weekend. Excellent gun, super accurate, fun to shoot, and light. Great gun that I highly recommend based on my experience. However, I ran into a strange issue this past weekend. My girlfriend lives in northern west virginia, and she wanted to go shooting as she had never been. I found a place just over the border into maryland at the savage river forest range. I took her out there, the wind was blowing, and I think it was about 30 degrees (frankly even too cold for a die hard shooter like me, but I am a southerner). I was shooting eley target through it. While there was no consistency to it, occasionally I would get a light primer strike. The only two things different this time from every other time I have shot that gun is that A- it was COLD. B-I was using a different batch of Eley target. I dont oil it heavily and keep it pretty clean. It had not been cleaned, but I only put about 20 rounds through it the previous time to get the barrel fouled. I checked the firing pin and it was not peened. Would the cold have an impact on it? Im hoping that you guys have knowledge that I dont. Thanks in advance. -Jason

I dont know if this is relevant, but I have probably shot about 1000 rounds through that gun. I have not completely disassembled the bolt to clean it. Could that cause the problem? Im going to take it out this weekend and see if I can replicate the issue.