• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen MPR 6.5 CM New barrel Brands???

Bunny723

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2021
USA
I’m looking for a new barrel for my Christensen MPR rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor I’ve already worn out my factory barrel and would like to buy a different brand than what Christiansen offers from their website. ($875 for there carbon fiber/only option available). does anybody have any help in this situation? It’s a standard Remington 700 footprint.

You are probably going to want to send it to a gunsmith to have the action measured and have a barrel blank chambered and installed. CA doesn't have the consistency for prefit barrels. You could send it to them to rebarrel as well. Other option could be to have a barrel nut installed.

What brand of barrel blank would you recommend I go with? Could I purchase a definant action? Would that make the barrel process easier?

Would it be cheaper and or better to buy a new long range rifle that has better consistency with barrel replacement?

What brand of barrel blank would you recommend I go with? Could I purchase a definant action? Would that make the barrel process easier?
Bartlien, Krieger or Hawk Hill would be my preference but there are a lot of good manufacturers and you will have to make that choice.

Yes, you could buy a Defiance action and Defiance does make actions that you could get a prefit for. Ultimately you may have to ship off that action to get measured in the end as well.

The action you have is fine. Its not the best but it works fine and when you have a good quality barrel installed will work well.

Getting a switch barrel rifle to avoid having to send it in to be rebarreled alone is something you need to weigh for yourself. One cheaper option might be to sell the CA and to buy with the sale proceeds a Seekins Havak HIT which is a new rifle that just came out in the same price range that will feature a quick change barrel system.

Thanks for all the information. I’m going to mull on all of this and decide. So many questions in need to answer before I decide on a path. Thanks again.

Get another carbon barrel - a remage prefit, or find a smith and have them shoulder one for you. I'd probably get a remage prefit from Carbonsix, but there are a number of places doing them now. Quality button barrels shooting 1/2 moa or better. Otherwise a smith like straightjacket will shoulder you a cut rifled Bartlein carbon barrel, if you must have a 1st tier barrel. Scrapping carbon altogether makes options endless.

Reactions: Railguner
If you do go remage to do the work yourself, I suggest getting your recoil lug pinned by a gunsmith. It's a very quick simple job, but it'll keep everything where it's supposed to be during your barrel swap.

I shot out a prc in an mpr and just paid black canyon customs to spin up a proof barrel for it; it shoots lights out.

Reactions: Bunny723
I shot out a prc in an mpr and just paid black canyon customs to spin up a proof barrel for it; it shoots lights out.
So you sent a proof barrel to black canyon customs to do the work or you just sent you MPR to black canyon customs and they did everything from start to finish including finding the proof barrel?

I took a barrel and the gun down to them. I don't think the MPR is consistent enough in manufacturing for someone to make barrels for it off of prints.

However, I'm sure Black canyon customs could find the barrel you are looking for and take care of it end to end.

Reactions: Freerunner
I took a barrel and the gun down to them. I don't think the MPR is consistent enough in manufacturing for someone to make barrels for it off of prints.

However, I'm sure Black canyon customs could find the barrel you are looking for and take care of it end to end.

Thanks for this info. I keep hearing that the MPR isn’t very consistent. I wish I knew that before I bought it and decided on a different gun. I’ll look into black canyon customs for sure.

^Doesn't matter now, just means you either need to have your action measured once by a gunsmith, who can then spin you barrels anytime you want, without the action. Or, you can buy a few different recoil lugs in different thicknesses and trial and error your headspace off of any 700 shouldered barrel. Or, you can go variable shoulder with a nut (remage) and set your headspace that way. Regardless, even with a custom action, I think everyone would agree you should be checking headspace when you install it. So, you'll be buying or renting gauges vs giving money to and waiting on a smith. Not a big deal either way.

Thanks for this info. I keep hearing that the MPR isn’t very consistent. I wish I knew that before I bought it and decided on a different gun. I’ll look into black canyon customs for sure.
How many rounds do you have through your factory barrel? What caliber?

i just replaced a carbon barrel on a 300wm mpr with a preferred barrel blanks remage setup. Was almost as easy as building an AR15.
I say almost because I had to reset the headspace a few times due to the barrel nut closing it up past the point of where I thought it was supposed to be. This barrel shoots night and day better than christensen's barrel. If you don't have a christensen, I certainly would NOT recommend one, there are better options out there for sure. They are sexy guns for sure, but that is about the only thing they have going for them.

I forgot to mention, I did have to inlet the handguard about 1/32" on the top to clear the barrel nut.