• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christmas gift discussion thread

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    As you guys have seen, I posted a Christmas gift thread, but there is no discussion allowed in the thread (the entire point is to assign a post number with a member that participates, nothing more). So, this will be the discussion for anything related to that Christmas gift thread! Post all you want over here, ask me questions about the gifts, etc.

My question to you guys - do you like the gifts in the Christmas gift thread? I hope it's stuff that guys here would be interested in, but it is stuff that's more tailored to the members who hangout in the Vintage Section.

Here's a link to the Christmas gift thread:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ase-read-instructions-to-participate.7199530/

Last edited:
    As you guys have seen, I posted a Christmas gift thread, but there is no discussion allowed in the thread (the entire point is to assign a post number with a member that participates, nothing more). So, this will be the discussion for anything related to that Christmas gift thread! Post all you want over here, ask me questions about the gifts, etc.

My question to you guys - do you like the gifts in the Christmas gift thread? I hope it's stuff that guys here would be interested in, but it is stuff that's more tailored to the members who hangout in the Vintage Section.
    I think it is an incredibly awesome thing you have done!

I thought it was a really nice thing for you to do, but I didn’t enter. All the gifts seemed really nice. But I asked myself which I would jump on if you were offering them for sale at a fair price. Then I realized that the gifts you're offering could all find better homes than mine.

Still reading your post and seeing the gifts on offer made my day.

So thank you! And Merry Christmas.

‐‐-------'

But if you need a suggestion for next year____ socks (everyone needs socks) or if your rich cases of 6.5 Creedmoor match ammo.

It is a wonderful idea and I really appreciate it. I withdrew because of too many other projects to complete.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
    too many other projects to complete.

F1_6KKlWIAIjFE2.jpg-large.jpeg

Love the idea, but I will not enter because I will fall down another rabbit hole that will take years and $$$$$$ to dig out of. I will be lucky to complete the pile of possibles I have tucked away already. Best to everyone involved.

Thank you for all the positive feedback! I'm happy that everyone likes this Christmas gift thread idea! I guess this might have to become an annual thing!

To the guys who have declined to participate because of the reasons they've stated in this thread, you gentleman are extremely honorable! That's why this community is amazing! Had I posted these items on Facebook or elsewhere, people who don't need/want any of these items would still enter the giveaway with the hopes of winning something and then making a quick buck selling it. But not you guys, you kindly withdrew so that someone else might be able to win. You gentlemen are helping your fellow community members, and it's greatly appreciated, thank you!

The Christmas gift thread has gotten a ton of attention and a lot of forum members are participating, so I decided to add 3 more interesting gifts to the pile! See the OP in the other thread for the 3 newest gifts! Let me know if anyone has any questions about any of the items, I'd be more than happy to discuss any of them!

Also, each of the 10 winners will have a 2nd small gift included with the main gift they won! It's not much, but it's a small, interesting piece of USMC sniper history!

Thank you all for participating, and good luck!

The Christmas gift thread has gotten a ton of attention and a lot of forum members are participating, so I decided to add 3 more interesting gifts to the pile! See the OP in the other thread for the 3 newest gifts! Let me know if anyone has any questions about any of the items, I'd be more than happy to discuss any of them!

Also, each of the 10 winners will have a 2nd small gift included with the main gift they won! It's not much, but it's a small, interesting piece of USMC sniper history!

Thank you all for participating, and good luck!
    You’d be doing yourself and everyone else a big favor if you posted the link here. As the other thread gets buried, it’s a PITA to find. You’ll get a lot more hits/views if you make things easy for those of us that are perpetually lazy………

You’d be doing yourself and everyone else a big favor if you posted the link here. As the other thread gets buried, it’s a PITA to find. You’ll get a lot more hits/views if you make things easy for those of us that are perpetually lazy………

That thread is quite literally under the one you just commented in, lol. You must have somehow found this thread without going into the Vintage Section.

You do have a point, people might be seeing a new thread post for this thread on the main forum active topics area. If that's how someone found this thread, then they wouldn't have seen the gift thread in the Vintage Section. I just put a link to the Christmas gift thread in the OP of this thread. I appreciate the advice, I didn't stop to think that someone could have found this thread without also seeing the gift thread when perusing the Vintage Section.

And here's another link gift thread, please read the instructions and make a post with "M40" in it if you'd like to participate (everyone on Sniper's Hide is welcome to participate)!

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ase-read-instructions-to-participate.7199530/

Last edited:
    Reactions: Average guy
    I thought it was a really nice thing for you to do, but I didn’t enter. All the gifts seemed really nice. But I asked myself which I would jump on if you were offering them for sale at a fair price. Then I realized that the gifts you're offering could all find better homes than mine.

Still reading your post and seeing the gifts on offer made my day.

So thank you! And Merry Christmas.
    ^ Well said ^ = Same Here & Merry Christmas to all ! 🎅

Thank you very much for the great replies, I truly appreciate it! I'm very happy to see how popular the Christmas gift thread is! I might have to add another item for each new page that gets added to the thread, I just want to make sure the odds of winning a gift are pretty good!

I saw that one person posted "M40" like the instructions say, but he also included a photo of a real M40. I don't want to disqualify anyone for adding a nice photo of an original M40, so I just added that to the rule in the OP of the Christmas gift thread! It's still required to post an "M40," but if you feel like adding 1 photo of an M40 variant, please feel free to do so.

Remember, only the word "M40" is required, so there's no need to go back and edit any posts, you guys are still good to go if you've already made your single "M40" post!

If you do decide to post an M40 photo, please limit it to 1 photo, and please don't describe the photo or ask any questions about anyone's posted photo. If you'd like to discuss an M40 photo that was posted, or give a description of an M40 photo you posted, please do so in this thread, since this is the official discussion thread for the Christmas gifts. Hopefully this new photo rule is

Also, I looked at all the posts in the Christmas gift thread and hit the thumbs-up "like" button for all the posts that meet the thread requirements (only 1 post was withdrawn, all the other posts in that thread are good!). So far everything is great, I really appreciate everything following the thread rules, it makes it easier for me to go through all the posts and vet them!

Does anyone have any questions about any of the gifts, or would like to see more photos of the items? I'm more than happy to discuss these gifts with you guys! There's some unique items in the gift thread, and I can provide more details on each one. Or if you guys want, I can just provide a more detailed write-up about each item and post it in this thread. That way you'll have any information you might want/need. Some of the items are obviously self-explanatory, but others such as the 40X base and barrels might need more information posted. You guys are already extremely knowledgeable, and probably know what everything is already, but let me know if I can help with more pics/info.

Thank you very much for the great replies, I truly appreciate it! I'm very happy to see how popular the Christmas gift thread is! I might have to add another item for each new page that gets added to the thread, I just want to make sure the odds of winning a gift are pretty good!

I saw that one person posted "M40" like the instructions say, but he also included a photo of a real M40. I don't want to disqualify anyone for adding a nice photo of an original M40, so I just added that to the rule in the OP of the Christmas gift thread! It's still required to post an "M40," but if you feel like adding 1 photo of an M40 variant, please feel free to do so.

Remember, only the word "M40" is required, so there's no need to go back and edit any posts, you guys are still good to go if you've already made your single "M40" post!

If you do decide to post an M40 photo, please limit it to 1 photo, and please don't describe the photo or ask any questions about anyone's posted photo. If you'd like to discuss an M40 photo that was posted, or give a description of an M40 photo you posted, please do so in this thread, since this is the official discussion thread for the Christmas gifts. Hopefully this new photo rule is

Also, I looked at all the posts in the Christmas gift thread and hit the thumbs-up "like" button for all the posts that meet the thread requirements (only 1 post was withdrawn, all the other posts in that thread are good!). So far everything is great, I really appreciate everything following the thread rules, it makes it easier for me to go through all the posts and vet them!

Does anyone have any questions about any of the gifts, or would like to see more photos of the items? I'm more than happy to discuss these gifts with you guys! There's some unique items in the gift thread, and I can provide more details on each one. Or if you guys want, I can just provide a more detailed write-up about each item and post it in this thread. That way you'll have any information you might want/need. Some of the items are obviously self-explanatory, but others such as the 40X base and barrels might need more information posted. You guys are already extremely knowledgeable, and probably know what everything is already, but let me know if I can help with more pics/info.
    I'm sure there is some history on the specific items and how you got them/where they have been.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm enough of a history nerd that I'd like to read more about them if it can be shared.

I'm sure there is some history on the specific items and how you got them/where they have been.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm enough of a history nerd that I'd like to read more about them if it can be shared.

If you guys would like to know more about some of the parts, I'll do a write-up and post it here when I have time. Hopefully people will find the information interesting!

Thanks for doing this...

I am a little nervous about winning something. Because I have been known to build things around, say, a single screw.

Another reason why this place is one of the best on the Interwebz...

Cheers!

Sirhr

Lol, I know exactly what you mean, all it takes is 1 small part! I'm hoping that some collectors won't have to start a new build, maybe the person who wins the Redfield 40X scope base will be able to use it on an M40 clone that they already have! The OPS AWP scope mount and rings are correct for numerous SOCOM sniper rifles, but they can be used on any rifle where someone just needs a new mount or set of rings. I hope the people who receive these gifts use them on new rifle builds, just so we can see some threads posted here with photos of awesome new builds!

Ryan, Speechless that you are offering these rare items and in a manner like this! Sir, Thank you for the opportunity! Merry Christmas to all and God Bless!

do you like the gifts in the Christmas gift thread? I hope it's stuff that guys here would be interested in

Yes I like the thread. Maybe sometime next year I'll rummage through my safe and do something similar. On another forum we have a "pay it forward" thread to offer up items.

Interested in some of the stuff. For some of the items, if tagged, I'd respectfully defer to the next member in line who might appreciate it more than me or put it up for grabs here like the "pay it forward" thread in the other forum.

Yes I like the thread. Maybe sometime next year I'll rummage through my safe and do something similar. On another forum we have a "pay it forward" thread to offer up items.

Interested in some of the stuff. For some of the items, if tagged, I'd respectfully defer to the next member in line who might appreciate it more than me or put it up for grabs here like the "pay it forward" thread in the other forum.

I'll be contacting each of the random winners for shipping information, so if you win something and decide that you'd like to pay it forward to another member, I'll be more than happy to oblige your request and draw another random member for that prize! Out of curiosity, what would you hope to win? Anything in the gift list that would help complete a build? I'm always curious as to what the most desirable item might be and how people would use them if they win. Whoever wins the Carlos Hathcock signed card better get that thing framed and hung on the gun room wall or something! I just wish I had something for everyone who is participating in the gift thread!

Out of curiosity, what would you hope to win?

Hope may be a strong word.

I don't own anything M40 or anything "sniper" worthy beyond a couple three hundred yards, the primary reason for my hiatus from the hide for so many years. But I would be honored to frame a John Hancock from Carlos Hathcock on one of my walls.

I have an old AAC Rem 700 I've been tinkering on over the years tightening the groups a bit so the Geissele trigger is intriguing. The M24 trigger is a cool item but it belongs with someone working on a restoration or a display case.

Like @sirhrmechanic, to get anything else would just drive a compulsion to build something around it, especially a set of rings (like I don't have a shelf packed with rings already ... likely the fodder for my own incarnation of this thread some time later).

Honestly, I think it's all awesome. Even the barrels. I look at those and wonder if one of my machinist acquaintances wouldn't drool over them but somehow it seems just wrong to bed the M70 barrel.

@USMCSGT0331 this is a very generous undertaking. Many of the items are unobtainable for a lot of folks. I’d love to have any of the items. I shoot with AI mags I bought from you that have the paint on them from use in theater. So cool.

Hope may be a strong word.

I don't own anything M40 or anything "sniper" worthy beyond a couple three hundred yards, the primary reason for my hiatus from the hide for so many years. But I would be honored to frame a John Hancock from Carlos Hathcock on one of my walls.

I have an old AAC Rem 700 I've been tinkering on over the years tightening the groups a bit so the Geissele trigger is intriguing. The M24 trigger is a cool item but it belongs with someone working on a restoration or a display case.

Like @sirhrmechanic, to get anything else would just drive a compulsion to build something around it, especially a set of rings (like I don't have a shelf packed with rings already ... likely the fodder for my own incarnation of this thread some time later).

Honestly, I think it's all awesome. Even the barrels. I look at those and wonder if one of my machinist acquaintances wouldn't drool over them but somehow it seems just wrong to bed the M70 barrel.

Thank you for the reply! I'm definitely curious as to what people think of these gifts, so I appreciate the insight! The barrels are pretty cool, especially the Winchester M70 barrel! The USMC shooting team even used in-the-white barrels on their M70 target rifles as early as the 1950, so it actually might be perfect for the new CMP Vintage Rifle matches! Even though this one is from the 1980's, it's still a real USMC M70 Douglas barrel and it would be perfect on a USMC clone build from the 1950's to the 1990's. I have no way of checking the bore, but as a former shooting team barrel, I'm assuming that there's still plenty of life still in it. I included that barrel because it's such an incredibly rare piece of USMC history, and I was thinking that someone might want to use it on a clone build to shoot in the new Vintage Match. That's one of my absolute favorite items on the gift list, that M70 barrel is awesome!

Reactions: doubloon and 6.5SH
    Gentlemen, I have a great update! As you may have noticed, we just hit 4 pages in the Christmas gift thread! I promised to add an item for each new page that's added to the gift thread, and I just added a fantastic gift to the list, it's gift #11! I added a new-in-box, never used, and from my personal collection a unique Emerson Knives Double-Struck CQC-17 knife! You'll notice that the knife doesn't have a serial number, that's because it's the only Emerson CQC-17 that has been made with a double-struck logo! It was done purposefully by Emerson just to make an interesting variation of the CQC-17 for one lucky collector (who was me, until I decided to gift it to a new lucky person in the gift thread!).

I'm not sure how much stuff I have in my collection, I promise to try to add a new item for each new page that gets added to the Christmas gift thread! That way we keep some better odds of winning a gift as more people join the fun!

Also, I have another big update! The Christmas gift thread is moving along nicely, so I've decided that if we hit 5 pages, I'll add a new gift to the list AND I'll donate $500 to the Scout Sniper Association (SSA)! I'm certain that we will hit 5 pages in that thread, so when I make the $500 donation to the SSA, I'll make sure that the donation is made from all of the Sniper's Hide members who have participated in the Christmas gift thread! This isn't a donation from me, it's a donation from all of us in this community!

Here's a link to the Scout Sniper Association's website, please check it out when you have time! The SSA is a phenomenal organization and pretty much ever dollar that's donated goes towards fulfilling our mission of supporting active duty and reserve USMC Scout Snipers (which also includes MARSOC and Recon snipers). We don't have any paid positions, and we have very few annual costs, such as running our website. So, you can rest easy that any donation that you make is going directly towards helping our sniper community! Please ask me any questions about the SSA that you might have, I'm more than happy to provide any answers!

https://scoutsniper.org/

If anyone here would like to make their own donation to the Scout Sniper Association, please click on the link below, and it will take you directly to the SSA's donation page. There is no obligation to make a donation to the SSA in order to participate in the Christmas gift thread, it's completely up to you if you'd like to make a donation. Thank you very much in advance to anyone here does make a donation to the SSA, your support is greatly appreciated!

https://support.scoutsniper.org/give/434246/#!/donation/checkout

I hope you guys like this morning's update!

Semper Fi!

-Ryan

Gentlemen, I have a great update! As you may have noticed, we just hit 4 pages in the Christmas gift thread! I promised to add an item for each new page that's added to the gift thread, and I just added a fantastic gift to the list, it's gift #11! I added a new-in-box, never used, and from my personal collection a unique Emerson Knives Double-Struck CQC-17 knife! You'll notice that the knife doesn't have a serial number, that's because it's the only Emerson CQC-17 that has been made with a double-struck logo! It was done purposefully by Emerson just to make an interesting variation of the CQC-17 for one lucky collector (who was me, until I decided to gift it to a new lucky person in the gift thread!).

I'm not sure how much stuff I have in my collection, I promise to try to add a new item for each new page that gets added to the Christmas gift thread! That way we keep some better odds of winning a gift as more people join the fun!

Also, I have another big update! The Christmas gift thread is moving along nicely, so I've decided that if we hit 5 pages, I'll add a new gift to the list AND I'll donate $500 to the Scout Sniper Association (SSA)! I'm certain that we will hit 5 pages in that thread, so when I make the $500 donation to the SSA, I'll make sure that the donation is made from all of the Sniper's Hide members who have participated in the Christmas gift thread! This isn't a donation from me, it's a donation from all of us in this community!

Here's a link to the Scout Sniper Association's website, please check it out when you have time! The SSA is a phenomenal organization and pretty much ever dollar that's donated goes towards fulfilling our mission of supporting active duty and reserve USMC Scout Snipers (which also includes MARSOC and Recon snipers). We don't have any paid positions, and we have very few annual costs, such as running our website. So, you can rest easy that any donation that you make is going directly towards helping our sniper community! Please ask me any questions about the SSA that you might have, I'm more than happy to provide any answers!

https://scoutsniper.org/

If anyone here would like to make their own donation to the Scout Sniper Association, please click on the link below, and it will take you directly to the SSA's donation page. There is no obligation to make a donation to the SSA in order to participate in the Christmas gift thread, it's completely up to you if you'd like to make a donation. Thank you very much in advance to anyone here does make a donation to the SSA, your support is greatly appreciated!

https://support.scoutsniper.org/give/434246/#!/donation/checkout

I hope you guys like this morning's update!

Semper Fi!

-Ryan

I’m not in here much, but I just came across this thread. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m the current president of USMC Scout Sniper Association. I just saw this gift giving thing that Ryan is doing here on the Hide, and I just wanted to thank all of you guys out there who are participating in that, and especially those who may decide to support SSA. I really appreciate him giving us a plug here!

This past year, our association responded to 11 separate requests for assistance from our Scout Snipers and their families. Some of these cases are relatively complicated and have life-changing implications. Every dollar you donate goes to help support a Marine Scout Sniper and his family.

Many thanks to Frank Galli @Lowlight , and this amazing thing we call Snipers Hide, and for Ryan’s @USMCSGT0331 generosity in setting up this Christmas giveaway and fundraising effort. You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much!

Last edited:
    Out of curiosity, what would you hope to win? …… Whoever wins the Carlos Hathcock signed card better get that thing framed and hung on the gun room wall or something!
    I have a page from my late fathers reloading logbook where he let me pull the press handle, and wrote my name in there that I helped him (in the 80s and I was a wee lad).
    If I were to be so lucky to win this, well, it would go next to the logbook page on the wall.
    But no matter if I win something or not, cheers to you for this whole thing, this if fantastic to see.
    My privilege.
    🪶

This page has made me excited for Christmas like a little kid. Doesn't matter if I win or not, this time is about family, serving others and reconciling with people and @USMCSGT0331 is doing something really neat here that is in that spirit.

If I could pick I would want the Carlos Hathcock card, to be framed and sit over my reloading bench. The other parts I would likely pass on for someone that could better use them for the build, except maybe the barrel that would need to be turned into a rifle for vintage sniper matches at our local club!

Thanks Ryan, I have made a small donation to the SSA inspired by this thread and in Memory of my friend, who was US Army, 4th Infantry Division, KIA outside Baghdad in April 2006.

Semper Fi and God Bless.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the projects all these awesome parts get used for!
    Won't be much longer :cool:
    DW

Last call to participate in the Christmas gift thread! If you want to participate, please just make 1 post that only says "M40" in it in the thread I've linked to below. I'll make a cutoff post at midnight (Central Time), then I'll draw the winners tomorrow, and I'll have the gifts in the ma this week (after collecting shipping information from the lucky gift winners).

Here's a link to the gift thread, and it's very easy to participate! Everyone on this forum gets to make only 1 post in this thread, and please make sure that you only have the word "M40" in your post:

Only a few more posts to get to page 5! If we hit a new page, I'll put up another gift in the gift pile, and I'll donate $500 to the Scout Sniper Association (donation will be made in the name of everyone participating in the gift thread!). A little less than 2 hours left before I make a cutoff point on the thread, so, get an "M40" post in now if you haven't done so already! Remember, only 1 post per account.

Reactions: Random Guy
    Merry Christmas and thank you everyone for participating in the Christmas gift thread! I'm going to randomly select the gift recipients later today, so please check this thread later for the winners!

We didn't hit 5 pages in the Christmas gift thread, but there's no way that I'm going to leave the Scout Sniper Association hanging! I just made a $500 donation to the SSA this morning, the donation is from all of you guys who participated in the Christmas gift thread!

1000008172.jpg

I just used Chat GPT to randomly select the 11 gift recipients, below of the list of winners!

Gift #1 - @roostercogburn98 (Post #17):
    Original USMC M40 Redfield 40X scope base and Redfield low 1" 1-64 marked scope rings!

Gift #2- @Megahoser (Post #42):
    White Feather card hand-signed by Carlos Hathcock!

Gift #3 - @USMCsean (Post #55):
    OPS AWP 34mm QD scope mount made for the M110 CSASS program!

Gift #4 - @Charger442 (Post #77):
    OPS AWP 1.5" 34mm gen 1 scope rings for various SOCOM sniper rifles!

Gift #5 - @lmt-ar (Post #101):
    DD Ross bottom metal for the M40A3 sniper rifle!

Gift #6 - @brodband8 (Post #121):
    Original Remington M24 trigger!

Gift #7 - @mvm (Post #145):
    GG&G 30mm DMR/sniper scope rings!

Gift #8 - @EOD100 (Post #166):
    Geissele Super 700 trigger!

Gift #9 - @DIBBS (Post #179):
    Original USMC Winchester M70 target barrel!

Gift #10 - @JosiahDickson80 (Post #195):
    NOS Barnett M14 barrel made for IBA!

Gift #11 - @biggins151 (Post #23):
    Emerson Knives Double-Struck CQC-17!

There you have it, a random selection for each gift!

Alright gentlemen, I've sent messages to each of the gift recipients asking them for their shipping information. I'll get these gifts boxed up and ready to ship as soon as I hear back from everyone. I've gotten shipping information back from 3 people, just 8 more to go! However, it's Christmas and everyone is probably spending quality time with their families, so don't rush to get me the shipping information right now! Go enjoy this wonderful holiday and shoot me a message back within the next few days whenever you guys have time!

I want to thank everyone who took the time to participate in my gift thread! This was a lot of fun and it's been very successful! You guys followed the instructions perfectly, which made my life easier when I was verifying the posts. Everything just ran smoothly! This might be a new tradition, we'll have to see what 2024 has in store for all of us!

Thanks again, everyone! This is an amazing community and I'm honored to be a small part of it! Merry Christmas and I hope you've all had a wonderful holiday weekend!