• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chrome BCG... is it worth it?

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm in the market for a new AR Bolt assembly. I wanna do it right the first time and was looking at 4 diffrent types of bolt assemblies.

Here they are:

1. Fail zone (basic kit)
    2. Larue (non chrome)
    3. National Match Bolt Carrier by Young Manufacturing, Inc (chrome)
    4 LMT (chrome)

Is it worth the extra cash to get one of these assemblies?

Thanks for any advice given.

kinnamon

Re: Chrome BCG... is it worth it?

Crome is easier to clean and it's self lubricating. That said if it's not done correctly the bolt can become to brittle and develope cracks. I've got several crome bolts and have never seen a crome BCG fail it's just one of the many things that can go wrong. The manufactors you listed are well known and you should have no problems anyway you go. Donald

If you do go crome do not use copper cleaning fluids on it. The crome is laided down on a layer of copper. The crome can peel off if the fluid can find a opening under the crome through a scratch or nick. Ask me about a cromed lined M14 barrel left to soak over night with Sweets Copper Cleaner some time. Donald

Well I ordered a Young nation match bolt assembly.... I got quoted a three week lead time (not to bad).

Thanks for the advice.

Kinnamon

years ago i found a hard chromed m-16 BCG....tuff and cleans up w/tissue.....THAT and a Tubb flat CS buffer spring helps groups....

You made a good choice, I bought the same BCG for my varmint build. It'll probably be more like 5 weeks though. I was quoted 2-3 weeks and it ended up being 5.

young manufactoring is the way to go with chrome but robars makes some great coatings.

Damn! 5 weeks!!! I hate this waiting game....

Thanks for all your comments.

kinnamon

It was rough waiting, but not too bad since I didn't have all the parts I needed to finish it. If you're paying with a debit card watch your account. I was told they were going to charge it immediately, but they didn't charge me until it shipped.

Your bolt will likely be the first part to crack and break. The BCG will outlast every other part. Chrome is a nice option if you prefer, but not necessary. I'd go with the bolt that was fitted to your barrel/chamber. Any carrier will do, just make sure to have it properly staked. If you want to spend the extra cash its your call.