• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chrome Moly Barrel?

Corp. Punishment

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I am purchasing a CM barrel and I was wondering if they need to be blued. I have heard that with a CM barrel it needs to be blued in order not to rust.

Is this the case?

Thanks

Re: Chrome Moly Barrel?

Stainless will rust, too. CM will just do it faster.

Instead of blueing, why not try one of the new finishes available. If you are on a budget, try the Brownells finishes. Some guys here, including me, like them. They are fairly inexpensive and you can DIY and have a professional looking job.

david

If you want a classic looking rifle you need to blue it, but as was mentioned, a spray on finish can look mighty nice for mighty cheap.

I happen to love how a really fine piece of wood looks with a rich, dark blued barrel, so that's how I finish my custom sticks.

Just depends on what you plan to use it for friend. As bohem said, A classic rifle demands a proper blue job. An ugly tactical gun needs something dull that will protect the barrel. What is your intended use? With that information the guys can give you a better choice of options. Jeff

It will be on an "ugly tactical gun". I have also heard that you could just coat it with oil everytime after use. For a spray finish I was thinking that I would use gun kote, but I dont really feel like putting the barrel in my oven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Corp. Punishment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be on an "ugly tactical gun". I have also heard that you could just coat it with oil everytime after use. For a spray finish I was thinking that I would use gun kote, but I dont really feel like putting the barrel in my oven. </div></div>

I am all with Bohem on the classic look of blue steel and walnut. If you are going tactical, though, the baked-on stuff is hard to beat.

Before you coat your rifle, make sure your oven is large enough. Mine will do anything up to an including a Swede 6.5 carbine. I have to put it at an angle and rest it on the back corner of the oven and at the front corner. I put a bit of aluminum foil on the parts contacting the oven surface to prevent chipping during the cure.

Don't worry about using the oven. Make sure the wife and kids are going to be out for the day and fire it up! Turn on the stove hood for ventilation and open a window or two. The smell is not that bad and clears out pretty quickly. If the wife gives you a fit about it, tell her I said it was OK.