• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chron accuracy, and ES...

cali_tz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal
trying to figure out why my MV ES is as high as it is (40-50fps), given I make sure that my loads measure exactly the same each time on my RCBS scales. I even double check the throw on a second RCBS model scale and they match perfectly, well to the 0.1 grain digit, and the spec for this scale is +- 0.1 grain. Which indicates that I could have an ES on the reload of 0.2.

Then we have to throw in the CED chron accuracy, which is +- 1% of the velocity (or better they say... well thanks for that). So even if everything else, including powder throw and case capacity, etc. was perfect, the chron, at 2700fps could report anything from approx 2673 to 2727, for an ES of 54.

Hard to conclude anything. The chron might be doing better than 1% in which case my loads truly have some ES, or the chron is closer to +-1% and my loads are actually doing pretty good.

I suppose the true test is vertical variance of the holes at say 300 yards where you know you have the scope center very accurately fixed on aim point.... Need to get to my other range with >100yds and see what that test says.

Re: Chron accuracy, and ES...

the light conditions could be effecting your ES , assuming that is not the case and your shooting directly over the sensors, i would look into your ammo , try changing your COAL and weight charges , an ES of 40-50 is allot. You could be getting varience in your CC which would be directly related to your ES , could even be bad primers , maybe your not cutting your flasholes , maybe you have to low neck tension. maybe you got allot of varience in COAL.

what do others achieve with ES on the CED Chronograph...? I'm curious if that +- 1% is actually what it delivers, or better, or worse. If it is 1% error prone, MALLARD, then no use trying to reduce it as I pointed out above you will get ES >50, assuming a reasonable probability distribution and enough trials.

How many rounds are you running through the chronograph to get that 40-50 ES?

I run a CED chronograph and usually get an ES of 5-10 fps after I've found the proper load for the rifle. I measure powder with a Prometheus so I would look at the consistency of your powder charges again.

I have ES/SD of less than 6, but it took alot of work to get that low, and a Prometheus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have ..... a Prometheus. </div></div>

Lucky!