• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chrono needed?

mikieg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2008
sapulpa oklahoma
why would someone need a chrono? if they use load data provided by engineers smarter than thou then their loads should be safe. if you actually shoot long range, you will have populated a data book with field proven info at the range increments fired. the velocity is not important if the ammo is consistant and safe.
but i guess if you want to live by the pda or by published balistic charts you would absolutely need to know the velocity.
but all the riflemen i know, just open their little book of proof and like magic their shots seem to hit. never any velocity notes, just environmental notes.
nothing you need to worry about at 100 yards.
hope this has brought your fantasy a little closer to reality.

Re: chrono needed?

just wondering-- do you reload? Do you ever shoot past 100 yrds? If you answer no to either of these then you are GTG and dont need one. If you answer yes to both then I would be at a loss as to how you could not see the benefit of testing and load development. Sure there is a ton of quality info to be found but that info is not for your rifle- believe it or not it does make a difference. If you are shooting longer distances and want to get the very best load possible testing is the answer. If you are shooting a wildcat round and there is very little info available- testing is your only answer.
You may choose to load off of published data but then you are accepting the fact that the publisher has built in liability safeguards and you will never realize the full potential of any rounds. Additionally the loading books provide their test rifle info- what if that does not match your rifle? For some that may be fine but its not for many others.
You are correct that a good data book will go a long way but adding to that loads designed for your specific needs will make it even better.

IME, no reloading book is correct for your rifle. Then there is the pressure issue. Most of us don't have access to pressure barrels so if you work up a load that equals factory performance, has no pressure signs, then you are safe. It's very hard to use a ballistics calculator program if you don't know the true velocity of your load. if you deal in weird cartridges for which ballistics info may be available but no contemporary loading data, like my 22-06, 244 H&H and 400 H&H it is a must to work up loads.
It is also useful to "break the rules" like the one that says RL25 is too slow for the 300 H&H, but I can get 3100 fps and sub MOA groups, with a 168 TSX in my 26" bbled 721. A Chrony is so cheap, there is just no reason NOT to have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why would someone need a chrono? if they use load data provided by engineers smarter than thou then their loads should be safe. if you actually shoot long range, you will have populated a data book with field proven info at the range increments fired. the velocity is not important if the ammo is consistant and safe.
but i guess if you want to live by the pda or by published balistic charts you would absolutely need to know the velocity.
but all the riflemen i know, just open their little book of proof and like magic their shots seem to hit. never any velocity notes, just environmental notes.
nothing you need to worry about at 100 yards.
hope this has brought your fantasy a little closer to reality.</div></div>

A data book, or score book is important to good shooting for a multitude of reasons. It, however, is not a substitute for a chronograph. That's because the chronograph provides recognition of suitable loads before the data book comes into the scene. Also, even for someone shooting factory rounds, it still serves as an aid to understanding what data modifiers may be necessary to predict the bullet's actual trajectory. And, for the long range competitor, having a handle on the actual average muzzle velocity of the hand-load, or factory round can help the shooter, in his initial outing, to get on paper with fewer sighters. Of course, then, the data book can be used to record such things as correct zero for conditions present.

BTW, I know you enjoy quoting my signature statement. Perhaps you'd consider being its poster boy, as you have a perspective of it all which appears molded more from fiction than fact. This is somewhat surprising though since you went to "sniper school" for a week, is that right? I understand too that you had the opportunity to hand-load there. Surely, a chronograph was available? Were you sleeping during class? Remember, exposure to information is not the same as having knowledge. One more thing, that statement you made, "all the riflemen I know", makes me think you might want to seek some help from them to get you on a sound footing to becoming the sort of marksman you apparently need/want to be.

At any rate, once you do get the hang of shooting, through any means it may come to you, your notions of what it takes to get the job done will cetainly be different than those you hold dear today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charles, you a tough! (but 100% correct)</div></div>

Mr. Humble,

Gman 762 is a troll. He's not a G-Man, and certainly not 7.62 caliber.

sterling seems to think that all someone knows is what they may have stated. evedently if they do not wear their "accomplishments" on their sleeve, then they must only know what they have stated. so i said that my chrono was outta commission and he states that i must not be reloading knowledgable. evedently i have shared info on a school that will teach reloading, therefore i must have learned it there just yesterday. this is a man that makes assumptions, heavy on the ASS part.
so if you listen to his "EXPERT" advise, every shooter needs a chrono or he is just shooting blindfolded.
so i guess even people that shoot factory stuff need a chrono.
frank told me to stop poundin your ass. as he puts it "right or wrong, he is what he is". sounded a whole lot like all the other folks saying this guy is an nra blockhead, just frank said it nicer. i realize that sterling has been here for a while and is respected by people that don't know anybetter. or maybe just folks affraid of callin bullshit.
like i said, there are guys here that have done things that will never be anyone elses business. we don't need to try to gain respect by putting "credentials" in peoples face.
the fact remains i called bull shit on "if a guy can shoot 1 minute at 100 then he will automaticaly shoot one minute at 1000. long range shooting is an angular thing".
i called bullshit on "if you dont have a chrono your just shooting blindfolded".
i don't care about your "super star" status here in cyberland.
when you say crap like this, i for one will call bullshit.
you can attack me all you want, that doesnt make the stupidity you radiate any more true.
trying to remember, the whole time i was shooting in the army, i never saw a chrono. doubt the corp even has any. i know there wasn't one at "sniper school". maybe there was but we couldn't see it. after all, we were blindfolded!

make mine buttered.......

POPCORN UP !

.......i'm just sayin

as a guy who never humped a ruck, i got to tell yah Bro.....the whole end of the rainbow of the long distance shooting world don't come from the military.....never did....wait a minute....Mike D. is that you ?

If its MikeD he has had some diction lessons.
smile.gif

fellas, i am not saying that the military invented anything. what this is about was a guy who is ploclaiming to be "somoone" has said some very wrong things. now we as a community have the right to throw the bullshit flag. i normally just sit and read. i have been here off and on for years.
i disagreed with thiscat once and he has been so offended that he has continually tried to belittle me since.
i realize this guy is royalty around here. but that doesn't mean every word from his mouth is gospel. now frank has asked me politely to stop thrashing this guy. i plan to. until he comes to my thread and opens his mouth with more "gospel".
i under stand he shoots some kind of "recreational" competitions. some of us here (military and l.e.)have a different style of shooting. this guy can't accept that someone disagreed with him publicly. plain and simple.

Do you think Tom would keep his Sharps were he offered a TRG 338 Lapua in trade?
Chuck would have kept his P 51 of offered a Raptor?
Nelson would have kept the Victory if offered a Nimitz class carrier?

There is a military base at sapulpa oklahoma?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fellas, i am not saying that the military invented anything. what this is about was a guy who is ploclaiming to be "somoone" has said some very wrong things. now we as a community have the right to throw the bullshit flag. i normally just sit and read. i have been here off and on for years.
i disagreed with thiscat once and he has been so offended that he has continually tried to belittle me since.
i realize this guy is royalty around here. but that doesn't mean every word from his mouth is gospel. now frank has asked me politely to stop thrashing this guy. i plan to. until he comes to my thread and opens his mouth with more "gospel".
i under stand he shoots some kind of "recreational" competitions. some of us here (military and l.e.)have a different style of shooting. this guy can't accept that someone disagreed with him publicly. plain and simple.</div></div>

The facts of marksmanship, it appears, based on what you've said about the subject, still allude you, even though, in one thread, you mentioned attending an LR marksmanship event, and in another thread, to have had a week of "sniper school". Whatever it was, it's clear that either you flunked the course, or the course flunked you.

You continue to distort my opinions and observations.

What's amazing here is that without providing any evidence that any of your opinions about marksmanship might be informed, after all, your profile is blank, you're telling me which hog ate the cabbage, that's priceless.

BTW, you said "bullshit flag" and "belittle" in your previous post. I have no desire to belittle you, you're doing it to yourself. The bullshit flag, well, it appears to be blowin' toward you now, doesn't it.

I'm curious, since you obviously think you know something about good shooting, can you describe your shooting accomplishmnents which have bolstered such belief?

here we go again. my pecker is bigger than yours. because i say so. the meat and potatoes here is you said long range shooting (600 plus)can be tought at 100 using reduced size targets. BULLSHIT!!! you said that if you don't have a chrono you are shooting blindfolded. BULLSHIT!!!! i called you on it. and yet you have no logical argument to support your statement. so as i can see, this is going to go on and on and on.... you can have the last word.
whats goung to happen here you are going to come back here with some more backdoor "change the subject" argument. i said my piece. you will still be wrong.
kinda like "you can call me fat. i can lose weight, you will still be ugly!".
good luck with that. done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here we go again. my pecker is bigger than yours. because i say so. the meat and potatoes here is you said long range shooting (600 plus)can be tought at 100 using reduced size targets. BULLSHIT!!! you said that if you don't have a chrono you are shooting blindfolded. BULLSHIT!!!! i called you on it. and yet you have no logical argument to support your statement. so as i can see, this is going to go on and on and on.... you can have the last word.
whats goung to happen here you are going to come back here with some more backdoor "change the subject" argument. i said my piece. you will still be wrong.
kinda like "you can call me fat. i can lose weight, you will still be ugly!".
good luck with that. done</div></div>

Here's what I'm coming back with: Please give an example of a shooting accomplishment that makes you believe you know something about what good shooting is about, that's to say, you obviously think you know all there is to know to get the job done, so what is/was it that brought you to your conclusion?

BTW, it's you who's presented illogical arguments, changed the subject, and as far as calling me out on anything, you don't have enough understanding about marksmanship to do that.

Seems like Steling has:

NRA HP Master
NRA LR High Master
Distinguished Rifleman
CMP-USAMU MRI

You have? Do have any idea how hard it is to earn the Distinguished Rifleman medal?

BTW it's 7.62 not 762

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have always known that Oklahoma homegrown will warp your DNA.... </div></div>

and this thread has confirmed that, in a very entertaining way.