• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph advice

Bigscoop

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2020
I'm trying to get a chronograph to help with shooting longer ranges. As I move out further it seems like I'm wasting ammo by just going off the info on the box and adjusting off my misses. I figured a chronograph was the best thing to get so I can start using a ballistic calc. I don't reload yet but hope to in the future. Also is a kestrel the only way to get the atmospheric stuff you need to type into a calculator or is there a good weather app that can be used to get me close.
I found this unit at cabelas, is this a good deal or should I look for something else?
Thanks

If I didn't have a chronograph I would shoot at 100 then set up a tall target at 600 to find my drop dialed for that distance ofcourse and true the muzzle velocity in a free ballistic app based on the stated BC for that particular bullet.
That will get you by until you have a chrono and know the true muzzle velocity.

I'm guessing you do have a chrongraph though? I figured the one I linked was a fairly cheap and beginner unit. Would I be missing out on anything by picking this one up and using it for a while then having it handy for when I am able to reload.

I'm guessing you do have a chrongraph though? I figured the one I linked was a fairly cheap and beginner unit. Would I be missing out on anything by picking this one up and using it for a while then having it handy for when I am able to reload.
I have never used the Caldwell unit but used a Shooting Chrony Beta Master for years and while it was irritating and a pain in the ass to use at times the added info was very useful.
I use a Magneetospeed now and it is much better and alot more user friendly.
I'm sure there some on here that use it and will chime in.

The biggest benefit of a chronograph to me is for running a ladder test for a new bullet powder combination. And once settled on a good load verifying that the load is as consistent as possible low SD and ES.

I use my buddy’s Caldwell whenever I need to use one. It seems cheaply made for sure, but works pretty well.

You get what you pay for, but that doesn’t mean it’s inaccurate. It’s been accurate for me and I’d buy one.

Reactions: Bigscoop
For what comes with it I figured you cant go wrong. Seems like it would be easy to use

I would also recommend at least the magnetospeed sporter. You’ll likely get a more accurate velocity, and it’s not affected by the ambient light like the gated chronos are, which makes it a lot easier to use. I haven’t noticed significant POI shifts on my rifles with it on either. Plus it gets velocity right at the muzzle. I’m not sure if they work on 22s or not, but I don’t know why it wouldn’t.

What is tge advantage of using this style over one like the caldwell. The description says it will not work for rim fire, I would like for it to work for my 22 since I am trying to start doing the nrl 22 competition's
The advantage is the magneato speed will give you correct data that doesn’t change with the sun in the sky or a cloud.
It’s been awhile since I had mine but I used it on my 22. I’m sure there is a situation that it wouldn’t work so they put the disclaimer out just in case but I never encountered it.
Edit: I had the v3 and a little google makes no distinction for that so maybe the sporter doesn’t work, I’m not sure so I’d get someone with first hand knowledge to confirm.
Edit edit: found this
For anyone wondering, I asked MS and they said the following

We advertise on the box that it is for centerfire rifles only. However, if you are using a thinner barrel .22lr, you will be able to get readings. The Sporter was designed to fit on barrels from .5 to 1" in outer diameter. Most of the issues with not getting readings on .22lr happen when the barrel is .850 or larger. There is too much distance between the sensor deck and bullet flight path. Barrels at 1" or over push the sensor deck too far away from the bullet flight path, even with the thinner rubber pad. This is why we advertise centerfire rifle only.”

Last edited:
My 22 is an mk2 fvsr. It's the bull barrel but I'll put a caliper on it to see if it's over. 850. If not ill spent the extra 50 and get the magneto speed. If not I've still got some time before the 22 build is finished and I can figure something out

What is it that makes it suck so bad.

the sun fucks with it really bad. Depending on light conditions it will show different velocities or not be able to get readings at all. Last time I used it I put a sweatshirt over the top of it and that seems to help a little bit. Also a PITA to lined up right between your muzzle and the target. And if it fucks up and you are at the range you have to wait for the line to go cold before you can go mess with it.

Reactions: Bigscoop
I gotcha. Just Googled the barrel diameter of my 22 before the threads and it is .800 so hopefully this magnetospeed aporter will pick up the readings.

Does anyone know of a vendor on this site that sells them. I'd rather give my money to someone that is active on this forum then give it to Amazon.

I'm trying to get a chronograph to help with shooting longer ranges. As I move out further it seems like I'm wasting ammo by just going off the info on the box and adjusting off my misses. I figured a chronograph was the best thing to get so I can start using a ballistic calc. I don't reload yet but hope to in the future. Also is a kestrel the only way to get the atmospheric stuff you need to type into a calculator or is there a good weather app that can be used to get me close.
I found this unit at cabelas, is this a good deal or should I look for something else?
Thanks

As to your atmospheric question, check this site and see if there is a racetrack near where you shoot:

Unfortunately it looks like everything in ky is about 70 miles or better from me.

If you aren’t handloading skip the chrono. Even with an accurate mv reading you still need to true your ballistic solution to match real world dope, so the numbers you get from your chrono may not match what your calculator thinks.
Case in point, went to dope out my 155gr handloads for my .308 last weekend, going off a kestrel with the ab solver, using the true mv had me 2moa high at 600yd and 2moa low at 800. Had to adjust mv and bc to get everything lined up.

While not "strictly necessary," a chronograph will make your life much easier. Sure, you can collect dope at various ranges - the further out, the better - to true a ballistic calculator. But the further out you go, the more impact environmental variables have on that dope. With a chronograph, you get an actual velocity as a pretty reliable piece of hard data to couple with the "hard data" of published ballistic coefficients and such for a given bullet.

If you're using only observed downrange performance to true a calculator, what do you do when the impacts on a given day don't match your carefully collected dope? What changed? Temperature effect on velocity? Wind downrange that's different from what you have on the firing line? Different lot of factory ammo-->different velocity? YouDon'tKnow. So. Chronograph.

With that said:
  • A Caldwell (or other optical unit) is better than nothing. Some may argue that. A bit of practice, using a BB gun or .22, before trying to chrono your expensive ammo is a decent idea.
  • A Caldwell chronograph will work, and provide good info, with anything from a BB gun to handguns (think about that with a MagnetoSpeed) to .22s to hot cool kids' cartridges. I know. I used one for quite awhile. It even worked after a 9mm bullet wandered through the top of the unit.
  • A Caldwell chronograph is a royal, gold-plated pita to use. It's easier if you don't share the firing line with others, because you will need to step out in front of the line about 9,438 times to dink with it during each range session.
  • After the 2nd request for a ceasefire within the first five minutes to dink with it, everyone else on the line will be grinding their teeth and fervently wishing your next shot will send the thing to oblivion and maybe you'll leave.
  • With centerfire rifles, the unit must be placed far enough out that muzzle blast doesn't knock it around. So "muzzle velocity" is more line "15-feet-out velocity."
  • I never used the sky screens, lights, or other bits that came with the Caldwell unit. Just didn't need them.
So, at the lower end of the dollars-spent spectrum, the Caldwell will work but cause wailing and gnashing of teeth - yours and others who share the line with you. The MagnetoSpeed will be vastly easier to use, within its limitations.

With all that said: For crying out loud don't get sucked into thinking you need a kestrel for weather data. Unless you're shooting past 1000 yards, you can get by just fine with data from the nearest NOAA weather station and convert its barometer reading to station pressure - easy to do if you know the altitude at which you're shooting (your phone knows). This is a topic addressed in detail elsewhere. It may take a bit to understand it. Just accept the learning curve.

Good luck.

Thats the response I was looking for. Thank you. I dont want to get a kestrel because I figured i don't need it yet. I shoot at a privately owned range with targets out to 365 right now. However we are working on getting a 700 yard range going. So walking out to mess with a unit wouldn't be a problem however it seems like the magneto speed unit would be better over all for what I want to do in a smaller package.

would still like to know if their is a dealer for them on here. If not ill just order off of Amazon.

If you decide to get the Magnetospeed and you have a Scheel’s near you, they will usually match advertised prices on in stock stuff. Personally, I had just ordered the Caldwell and was in Scheel’s store a day later. I saw the Magnetospeed on the shelf. Did a quick internet search and found it for $155. Scheel’s matched the price no problem. I sent the other back and I’m glad I spent the extra $60.

Is the magneto speed affected by a muzzle brake?

Caldwell is garbage. The magnetospeed sporter is the absolute cheapest you can go and be confident.

Reactions: Baron23
Another vote for the Magnetospeed Sporter. I bought mine from MidwayUSA on sale for 150$ a year ago, so I would keep an eye out for sales on them.

I got the one posted in classifieds. Looks like it should be here Thursday or Friday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use it over the weekend. I also have a new strike eagle coming for my 308 as well so I'll have a good day of testing new stuff and figuring some velocities on different rifles.

I have the labradar. I think it's a great piece of equipment. A piece of cake to use. I just pull it out of the case and throw it on the stand. No worrying about screens. No worrying about barrel harmonics. The trade off is that it is bulky. Sometimes when I'm dragging more gear, I'll opt to borrow my buddy's Magnetospeed. It has its cons (just like the labradar), but there is real value in that footprint. Toss it in the backpack and you're off.

I use old bunny eared crono and it reads the same as lab/magnetospeed (tried it many times same results).
a little more work to set up but for the price can't beat it.
I would spend money on a kestrel before a crono just my opinion.
all radar readings are estimates you still need to dial it in at the end.
my 2 cents

I have the sporter works great. I bought a cheap hard plastic pistol case to keep it in, flambeau i think. Makes it easier to tote around and keeps the cord from getting to kinked up. I like using a chrono because as others have said it gives you hard data to work with.

One thing that should be pointed out is that once you have a chrono that's easy to use, you'll find yourself using it more.

I figured thats the case. I feel I will use it another more them just my precision type setups. Have any of you tried a sporter on a muzzleloader?

I had a magnetospeed, but replaced it with a Labradar. Never have looked back. Labradar though is expensive so if you're shooting a couple of different loads from different rifles, it makes sense. If you're shooting factory loads, read some of the other advice on the thread and go with that.

Any of those optical chronos suck donkey balls. Get a magnetospeed spotter and be done with it.
i bought a one or those cheap ones at first. Unreliable data, PITA to set up, constantly gave me error messages. Bought a Labradar.
I agree I’ve had rcbs (junk), betas (ok), pro chrony ( worked better). Then bit the bullet and now have a labradar. Expensive yes but bought one during Cabelas Christmas sale with free shipping and another 10 %off paid 450.00

I really like my Magnettospeed V3 and CED M2, both give accurate readings verified at 1760yds, I use my M2 for load development, and my MS V3 for ballistics, the only reason I haven't replaced them with a Labradar is that is fragile. A radar chronograph of some sort is the future, problem is I have witnessed 4-5 Labradars damaged from falling from a distance of of less that 40 inches, so today if I was buying a chronograph, the MS v3 or CED M2 get my vote.

I recommend getting it before load development. You'll want to run your various charge weights over the chrono to determine which weights give you the best ES/SD.

I’ve only used the MS, but from a design perspective I’d definitely go with it over the CED.

Will the magneto work with a suppressor. I tried the Caldwell and it worked ok. It just felt very cheap and was time consuming to set up.

I usually just do bipod with a rear bag. That’s stable enough for me to confirm.