• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph for 17 & 20 cal suppressed in the dark

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So I’m dipping my toe into the chrono waters. Wanted to make sure I’m looking at the available options correctly before I buy something. I shoot stuff that some of you may not.

This is my shooting environment:
  • Factory ammo only (I know this is the reloading dept but you dudes probably know more about chronos)
  • Centerfire and rimfire
  • 17cal (cf/rf), 20 cal cf on up
  • 20 cal can be ~4225 fps, 17 cal ~3500 fps (but could eventually go 17 Rem @ 4400 fps)
  • 100% suppressed
  • Sometimes at night
  • Usually alone or far away from others
  • Outside, but under a metal range shed
  • Always on a bench
  • Just checking muzzle velocity (I think, but I’m a noob) to enter into ballistic software.
  • I don’t change ammo brand/type often so infrequent use? I think I’m getting a kestrel for wind and AB.
  • Bringing one to two rifles to the range at a time
  • Rifle types are from a KRG W3 chassis-type with thick barrels to wood-stocked sporters
In my research, this seems to indicate that a Magnetospeed Sporter is the way to go as I don't think the Labradar likes 17/20 cal. Maybe splurge on the V3 for…reasons lol? Don’t know what reasons yet.

The optical chronos don’t work in the dark. And the Bullet Seeker is a bit too new (and expensive, right? Thought I saw $900).

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Oh, if anyone is wondering why TF is he shooting in the dark? the answer is I’m in Minnesota. Shooting after work in the fall, winter, and early spring means it’s nighttime. The sun has punched the clock.

My range has big lights that illuminate the targets but not in front of the range shack.

Some people luck into the sporter working on a can and others dont.
My v3 worked great though for the suppressed shooting I did do with it but I cant say I tested it with small bullets at light speed. I guess we got a bare muzzle 204 at one point for 3600 or something.

Reactions: carbonbased
I don't think the sporter works with a suppressor. Used to be the only the V2 and then the V3 worked with something of that diameter.
Ah yes, great feedback. Missed that in ye olde research. Looks like I could cut down the sporter plastic attachment to make it work but not sure if it’s worth the hassle. Found this vid on the process:

I cant say I tested it with small bullets at light speed. I guess we got a bare muzzle 204 at one point for 3600 or something.
Thanks as well. I think I’ll give the MS guys a call on that front.

Just talked to MS and they said the V3 goes up to 5000fps and the Sporter goes to 4500 fps. Also both should handle 17/20 cal and all my other bullet points.

My regular magnetospeed works with a supressor, 5.56 at 3000fps.

Also does fine down to 600 to 1000fps .17 and .22 pellets. Does not require light for anything I know of.

You can tweak the sensitivity, which I did have to do for the pellets. Works well once you dial that in.

Reactions: carbonbased