• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Chronograph - Pact, Chrony, What?

halfclue

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
Eastern PA
hello: I am trying to determine which Chronograph to purchase. What do you all recommend as the best? A printer would be nice, which tends towards Pact.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Chronograph - Pact, Chrony, What?

If you have to have the printer, the Pact XP is what you want. Otherwise, CED M2 will do you well.

I never had the money to spend on the nice ones, when I was in the market for a chrono I could barely afford the chrony.(Iknow, I should have waited) But I bought it anyway, but looking back, I've never had a complaint about it, and still use it to this day. It may not perform as well as the spendier units, as I've heard, but it works good enough for me.

I've had 2 Chronys. Key word being HAD. They weren't exactly what I would think of as dependable. I'm using an older model Pact right now. But a CED M2 in my future.

I've talked to guys/buddies/fellow shooters, and the CED M2 is tops. The PACT has had some issues with several shooters I know. I love my M2. I have no need for a printer, since the CED has a memory of all shots.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CED M2 it will be - they are just up the road from me...small world! Not even very expensive.

Cheers,

Mike

If you can't get your hands on an Oehler (not manufactured anymore), get the CED M2 with infrared screens. Most accurate and consistent of the bunch.

I have had a chrony with printer, a pact with printer and whole 9 nine yards, and now use an oheler 35P. They would go in that order from worst to best. All worth what I paid for, except the chrony, never own one again. Very iffy on accual velocities. I wish I could have ran all 3 side by side but never did. The pact was good, the oheler 35P puts them both to shame. Very consistant and with 2 reading you can be much more confident in what it says. If they read 40fps diffrent, wonder. If they read 2fps diffrent, know it is a good reading. Plus it picks up most all the time as the other 2 didn't. The chrony was usless early or late in the day when the sun was low.

I have a CED M2 with the infrared screens and it works great. I have never had any problem with the shadows being an issue. Before I got mine I was using a buddies (not sure the model but not CED) to test loads for my pistol. Well I went shoot in a state match and did not make Major Power Factor. I ordered it shortly after.

Do yourself a favor and get a really good tripod for it. I bought the cheaper of the 2 that CED offers and I am not completely happy with it. You might find a good used camera tripod if you search Ebay.