• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph Question

smith934

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2003
Alabama
Anyone aware of a chronograph that interfaces with a laptop/netbook via USB. What I mean is one that consists of a chrono "head" unit that interfaces directly with the computer running the chrono software vs simply being able to download the data to a computer.

With inexpensive netbooks nowadays this seems like a good approach.

Re: Chronograph Question

I got the chance to use the pvm this weekend. I would have to say its the best dam chrono i have every used. It doesnt matter if its raining, dark, or even in artifical light. And its super accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And its super accurate.</div></div>

How do you know?

Cause it gives him the same number every time.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And its super accurate.</div></div>

How do you know?
</div></div>

The oehler and the pact were right on with the pvm. We were messing with them at the same time and they all gave us the same readings.

RE the PVM, does the data stream feed directly to the computer or is the USB port just to download the data to the computer later? Also it appears that you need 120Vac to power a 12Vdc lump-in-line source for the PVM. Is this correct? If so, it's of no use to me as the ranges I shoot at don't have 120Vac available.

$800.00!! Big OUCH!

What I had in mind would be either battery powered or USB powered. Separate battery would be preferable to maximize laptop/netbook battery time and would dump it's data stream directly to the computer, in real time, in a format that could be used by a program. Maybe to Excel where entering load data and computing MV, ES, SD, etc. would be simple. The data could also be easily read into one of the existing Excel ballistic programs, such as Pesja, by cell reference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smith934</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RE the PVM, does the data stream feed directly to the computer or is the USB port just to download the data to the computer later? Also it appears that you need 120Vac to power a 12Vdc lump-in-line source for the PVM. Is this correct? If so, it's of no use to me as the ranges I shoot at don't have 120Vac available.

$800.00!! Big OUCH!

What I had in mind would be either battery powered or USB powered. Separate battery would be preferable to maximize laptop/netbook battery time and would dump it's data stream directly to the computer, in real time, in a format that could be used by a program. Maybe to Excel where entering load data and computing MV, ES, SD, etc. would be simple. The data could also be easily read into one of the existing Excel ballistic programs, such as Pesja, by cell reference. </div></div>

What we did was use one of those battery packs that you can use to jump start a car. It lasted all day and didnt even drop a few percent when checked it at the end of the day. It feeds the info directly to your laptop when you have the usb hooked up. I dont know of any other chrono that works in the rain and at night. Just some stuff for thought....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a link to some info 9? </div></div>

Page down and it gives you software info and screen shots.

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29 </div></div>

Of course its not as cool as the PVM but for 200 bucks it looks like a nice deal.

PVM real time feeds to the laptop. U read the speeds on the comuter screen
It has an accessory rechargeabl battery to run the unit in the field.