• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph Recommendations?

KurtM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Oregon
I am looking to purchase a chronograph to enhance my reloading. Any good experiences and or recommendations? Is it really worth it to get all of the "extras" or will a basic unit suffice?

Thanks again...

Re: Chronograph Recommendations?

I have a CED M2. I have the standard sensors, not the IR, and it works great. In bright sunlight or hazy overcast days at the range.

It will give you average, high and low velocities, SD and ES, and is very easy to set up and use. It comes with software so you can download the data to your PC.

It has a lot of features that I dont even use, like factoring MAJOR for IPSC,etc. It even has an audio feature so it will call out the velocity as you shoot.

Has been consistant and repeatable for me.

And at 200 bucks, isnt gonna take away from your reloading fund.

here is one i'll sell you.....
MVC-033S-1.jpg

LOL didn't like the readings, Bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RKBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL didn't like the readings, Bolt?</div></div>

....no.....just a senior moment .....not by me....this is what happens when you lend your stuff out to the un-washed....

I have a shooting chrony gamma master that came with the printer. It works very well, and the printer is really nice, I no longer have to write down everything, I just shoot and it prints. CLICK ME!!!

The CED w/IR is my third chrono. If I had to buy again it would be a CED.

CED M2. Works great/ I hook it up to my laptop. This is when I started to mess with my SDs and ESs. Before this one the old chrono (2 of them) did not read worth a shit. You will like the CED

I have a Pact and Beta. Both read consistent, and are off by about 5 fps but close. one is $200, the other $90. So it gets me data that I need. I think the PACT will give me more calculated info in a better format compared to the beta (3 buttons for a bunch of functions).

If I had had to do it again, I'd try a CED.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168grSolution</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to purchase a chronograph to enhance my reloading. Any good experiences and or recommendations? <span style="color: #FF0000">any chrono is beter than no chrono </span>Is it really worth it to get all of the "extras" <span style="color: #FF0000">yes</span> or will a basic unit suffice <span style="color: #FF0000">yes</span> ?

Thanks again... <span style="color: #FF0000">you're welcome</span></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is one i'll sell you.....
MVC-033S-1.jpg
</div></div>

and...that is why I now own one with the "reading screen" connected to a wire, sitting by me. Its the Pact...example.. Pact Chrono

I have a CED M2, standard screens. Like the other poster stated, in overcast/ light misting rain or sun it's consistently worked well for me. My personal preference is to have the "brain" on the bench and the screens out in front in case of an oops like Boltripper posted.

The only thing I really dislike about the chrony models is that the rods for the skyscreens mount into the photo sensor housing. If one of those rods manages to get hit you can bet it will crack or break the sensor housing altogether. I'm putting springs into the slots in the housing so the skyscreen rods will just flex instead of snapping the photo cell in half.
My Alpha Master only has one button...the CED seems like a nicer unit. Oehler 35P is the best one you can get but they are discontinued..I'm tempted to get into the chrono market. I can't believe nobody has made a solar powered chrono despite the fact that they need light to operate.

CED M2 gets my vote.
smile.gif

I got one with all the trimmings. Nice unit.
smile.gif
The IR screens were a waste of money though. If the battery pack dies, you will get screwed up readings if it reads at all. Standard screens work great anytime I've used it.

CED M2 here also. Bought one about 3 months ago have used it only a few times but it's been the best piece I have ever used. I really like the big display. It's simple you use yet has alot of features.

Anyone have the bag from CED you can get for these things? Putting everything in an out of the box perfect so the box closes is kinda a pain. Have thought about getting the carry bad from CED. Thoughts?

Get a MidwayUSA Range bag when they are on sale. AMPLE room and much cheaper than a CED bag. I use this and it works well:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=259680

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CED M2 here also. Bought one about 3 months ago have used it only a few times but it's been the best piece I have ever used. I really like the big display. It's simple you use yet has alot of features.

Anyone have the bag from CED you can get for these things? Putting everything in an out of the box perfect so the box closes is kinda a pain. Have thought about getting the carry bad from CED. Thoughts? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have the bag from CED you can get for these things? Putting everything in an out of the box perfect so the box closes is kinda a pain. Have thought about getting the carry bad from CED. Thoughts? </div></div>

Bought mine as a package deal. The bag is a perfect fit. Can even strap a tripod to it.

One more vote for CED M2. Wish I could find a better mounting solutions than a tripod when it is windy, but the unit has been great.

hang a small bag full of lead shots from the tripod to weigh it down.

I've owned a shooting chrony beta master (master beta? let's not go there) for about ten years. I've been getting some bizarre readings for several months now; impossible velocities despite keeping the chrony ten to twelve feet from the muzzle. Shot 155gr scenars (.308) yesterday and velocities were right around 2900 to 4600 fps with NO pressure signs. Rounds impacted about 3 MOA above 168 SMKs that were clocked at 2800, 2710, 3300, 3305, 3198 fps. Oh yeah, those numbers are from a rem 700 LTR (20" barrel).

THIS is where it gets really weird: The most consistent numbers I get from a Rem 700 PSS (26" barrel) with a suppressor (168gr SMK over 46 gr Varget) are right around 2800 fps +/- 30 fps SD. Not bad. But when I actually shoot out to 600+ yards, the ballistics match a standard ballisticard for 2600 fps. That 200 fps difference is huge for elevation at those distances. Or should be.

Oh, yeah, I sent the chrony back to the factory for calibration last month. They replaced everything except the sensors. New battery, full sunlight, all the rest. Thing just isn't working right. I might have to take it out to 15 to 20 feet; a friend suggests the unit is registering gases, which may be right. One other thing, the chrony takes a LOT of getting used to with the two-button operation. You really need to keep the little code-book at hand to make any sense out of which buttons to push for what and what error code. It's a pain.

Go figure.

I'd spend the $$ for the CED M2. Matter of fact, I just ordered one from MidwayUSA. If I get the same kinds of numbers, I'm going to keep the CED and sell the shooting chrony. As is. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it or use it for parts.

NB