• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Chronograph selection ?? PVM 21 or Ohler 35

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    looking to upgrade my chrono and would like to get opinions on the Ohler 35 referance chrono vs the new PVM-21 here

So the Neconos QuickLoad QuickTarget group buy went so well that it was mentioned if they would do a group by on the PVM-21. Well looks like they are going to do it!!!!!

Normal price is $749.95
    Group price will be $690.00 if we can get 10. If we can get 25 it will go down to $640!!! That is over $100 bucks off.

Link PVM-21 CHRONO PAGE
    Specs.
    Accuracy: < 1% from the shown value.
    Measuring range: 280ft/sec to 6500 ft/sec (85 - 2000 m/s)
    Measuring frequency: 16.0 MHz (faster than any other!)
    Caliber range: .17 - .50
    250 shot memory can be divided into 99 series
    LCD text display
    Direct reading of ft/sec, m/s, ft.lbs and the IPSC factor
    Power supply: 12 Volt from the power supply unit (included).
    Power consumption: only 2.1 Watt total
    Interfaces with QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET software

An extensive software package is included with the PVM-21. The software allows the user to create databases. In the database all measured values and user-defined data like ammunition or weapon data can be stored. The Database can be configured by the user and contains 4 database tables with 10 entries, one picture (bitmap) and a comment per table. The database provides filters to search entries in the database. The number of database entries is unlimited. Package includes everything you need to build databases for all your loads and firearms.
    PVM-21 Chronograph
    PVM-21 Light Screen
    IR2C Controller
    Power supply 120V-240V AC down to 12V DC
    Cables
    Software
    Users Guide (on CD)

Price $749.95
    Output can be displayed on your PC, laptop as well as the LCD readout on the PVM-21.Typical PC display - ft/sec
    A fantastic value. The PVM-21 is part of the newest generation of ballistic measurement systems using “state of the art” technology. It combines reliability and an extreme degree of accuracy. It is a very user friendly system. The PVM-21 is the result of 25 years experience in engineering and development of ballistic and hyper-speed measurement systems.
    Technical Data for the PVM-21
    Accuracy: < 1% from the shown value.
    Measuring range: 280ft/sec to 6500 ft/sec (85 - 2000 m/s)
    Measuring frequency: 16.0 MHz (faster than any other!)
    Caliber range: .17 - .50
    250 shot memory can be divided into 99 series
    LCD text display
    Direct reading of ft/sec, m/s, ft.lbs and the IPSC factor
    Power supply: 12 Volt from the power supply unit (included).
    Power consumption: only 2.1 Watt total
    Interfaces with QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET software
    tell me what you think
    Thanks Bill

Re: Chronograph selection ?? PVM 21 or Ohler 35

If it looks like we got 25 for $640, I may be interested. $640 is tough right now in this economy, but I've wanted a really good chrono for a while now. How does the PVM-21 compare to the discontinued Oehler 35 I hear so much about. Is there anything better on the market within reason? I now have the CED M2 which works good but not great. I get erratic readings @ times.

Oehler is available occassionlly on the net auctions like Gun Broker and Ebay and they now start at $500+ used
    It is the only one with the proof channel

It does not hook up to a computer.

It is simple, and for an amateur gives U all U want without bells and whistles. Their cust support on the phone is excellent.

I would get the PVM-21 I own both the PVM-21 and the Oehler and i will never use the Oehler again!!

I have had several different chronos over the years, not the PVM 21, and so far I have found my Ohler 35 to be the best. If you can find one buy it.

I think I was an Oehler 35P on Gunbroker for auction starting bid was $300

The PVM sounds nice! I have the Oehler 35P and it has ALWAYS worked for me. It sure would be nice to have all those bells and whistles though.

Do you have to hook a laptop to it or will it stand alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddacguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to hook a laptop to it or will it stand alone.</div></div>

It will stand alone, laptop is optional for additional features

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get the PVM-21 I own both the PVM-21 and the Oehler and i will never use the Oehler again!!

</div></div>

NOMAD....since you'll never use that Oehler again.....you wouldnt be willing to part with it would ya????? lol..... just thought id ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it looks like we got 25 for $640, I may be interested. $640 is tough right now in this economy, but I've wanted a really good chrono for a while now. How does the PVM-21 compare to the discontinued Oehler 35 I hear so much about. Is there anything better on the market within reason? I now have the CED M2 which works good but not great. I get erratic readings @ times. </div></div>

Post it up in the thread we are starting to get a few more people interested.

I'am in if we can hit the 640.00 mark