• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph Suggestions

bgeher

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2019
Western Montana
I'm new to reloading amd started out with .223 as a cheaper way to get some practice. I'm ready to start precision 6.5CM loads, and figure I should get a chronograph. I've already made quite the investment into reloading equipment over the last few months, so I would love some recommendations on quality chronographs on a budget. Thanks in advance!

Not sure that it matters but I'm shooting a Ruger PR Gen 2 (24 inch barrel).

I say magneato speed sporter if you’re starting and in a budget. If you want more then go for a labradar for no interference with the barrel.

I have no experience with the Labradar but from what I’ve heard @Lowlight speak of them on his podcast is they are waaaay to sensitive in regards to tipping over and breaking. They need to be ruggedized. He had to send his back numerous times from what I understand.

Last edited:
If your trying to save a few bucks, go this way.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/896627/magnetospeed-sporter-chronograph ( can find for 160 )
Only one problem is, it's attached to the barrel and will affect POI
So I just check for groups and when I find what I want, bring a few extra loaded ones
and then attach to barrel and check for fps.
If price is no object, then the Labradar is the only one to buy (can find for a little less than 500)
Only two I would look at.

I have a Magnetospeed and love its consistency. The only downside to the M-speed is it changes the point of impact and can affect group size. So I do group shooting without it.

If you live in an area that's frequently cloudy then optical chrono work fine. Check out the Competition Electronics ProChrono. You can try it in sunny conditions but it can be finicky

Go to Brownell's and get 10% off and free shipping, today

V3 user here. When possible I use the pic rail adapter to avoid having to shoot two groups.

Can't comment on the Magnetospeed since I've never used it (people that have really seem to like them), but went through a similar decision process and just couldn't get my head wrapped around something that had to be attached to the barrel. Ended up with a LabRadar and absolutely love it. Set up is simple, works with rifles and pistols and it has been bullet proof reliable.

Reactions: JCCinOhio
I'm new to reloading amd started out with .223 as a cheaper way to get some practice. I'm ready to start precision 6.5CM loads, and figure I should get a chronograph. I've already made quite the investment into reloading equipment over the last few months, so I would love some recommendations on quality chronographs on a budget. Thanks in advance!

Not sure that it matters but I'm shooting a Ruger PR Gen 2 (24 inch barrel).

I am currently in exact same situation. After much review, I have decided to go with v3. Now just trying to find one for sale or good discount somewhere.

I've used a Chrony for the last 15 years and it has done everything I needed it to do. I would be interested in seeing a real world comparison between these at around $100 and the ones costing hundreds of $$$.

V3 and wiser user here. No complaints. The reason I got the MS it that you can shoot at any target you like and you will still get a reading. WIth the others you can't do that unless you move the unit around.

I've used a Chrony for the last 15 years and it has done everything I needed it to do. I would be interested in seeing a real world comparison between these at around $100 and the ones costing hundreds of $$$.
Ask and you shall receive

And since labradar wasnt a thing when the AB test was conducted; here is a brief trial I did between the MSv3 and the LR. Both the MSv3 and the LR read very close to one another.

Last edited:
I got this one from someone on Craigslist for $80 'Murica. Caldwell G2 Chronograph. I've had 100% success and seems the velocities jive with my ballistic calculators with reasonable accuracy.

Sometimes the Bluetooth function goes full-retard, but it still has a large display on the unit you can clearly see from 10' and I just write down the values as I shoot. It's dumb, but still get the data I need for my assorted shenaniganry

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190308-092053.png
    Screenshot_20190308-092053.png
    490 KB · Views: 153
Another MS user here. Has helped immensely. It does change POI, but I'm looking at velocity strings.

I got this one from someone on Craigslist for $80 'Murica. Caldwell G2 Chronograph. I've had 100% success and seems the velocities jive with my ballistic calculators with reasonable accuracy.

Sometimes the Bluetooth function goes full-retard, but it still has a large display on the unit you can clearly see from 10' and I just write down the values as I shoot. It's dumb, but still get the data I need for my assorted shenaniganry

Fuck this chrono. LOL. Today at the range it royally screwed me. So, yeah, I'm buying a Magnetospeed.

Reactions: Airw4ves
Another for the magneto speed. I, however, don’t it until I ha e my load development where I want it so the POI shift doesn’t play a part in my development.

Went from optic to Sport to V3. Just get v3 and do not fuck around like I did if you have lots of guns and cans, no can you can get away with sport.

I have no experience with the Labradar but from what I’ve heard @Lowlight speak of them on his podcast is they are waaaay to sensitive in regards to tipping over and breaking. They need to be ruggedized. He had to send his back numerous times from what I understand.

You drop shit and it brakes. Put on a real tripod or wide base so 30mph gusts don’t blow it over and it is fine.

I’ve owned just about every type of chrono out there like Frank. Nothing is easier with no poi issues.. that said, nothing is bullet proof, but if the poi POI thing is not an issue for your workflow, the Magneto speed is damn hard to beat. I have a V3 that lives in my main match rifle case, but use the Labradar unless it is raining or snowing really hard.. or if some jackass doesn’t park 3’ away with 17 empty benches that he could have used.

Im on a budget and i recently had to replace mine due to someone else at my range shooting mine and killing it. I got the Magnetospeed Sporter. I have to use the thin pad that comes with it since i have a larger diameter barrel and suppressor that i use on my rifle. However it seems very accurate. Ive plugged the numbers into strelok pro and its been right on. Cant argue with that.

If you go with the Labrador, mount it on a solid tripod (so it will not rip over and break).

If you go with a MagnetoSpeed and handload, or plant to migrate to handload, I prefer the V3.

I have tried both and prefer the simplicity of the V3 (my POI shift at 100 yards is a max of 0.10 Milrads).

Both are great chronographs.

Magnetospeed works very well and is reasonably priced, much easier to use than the old style. Personally I sold my V3 and switched to a Labradar and couldn't be happier. I mount it on a tripod and have had zero problems.

Honestly, I love my Sporter. No cans allowed for us Canucks, so thats a non issue, and it fits all the rifles I own without issue. Only complaint is I have had the odd error msg from the wire being coiled too much, but that was user error. Also its super small and lives in my range bag so I never have to worry about forgetting it at home.

I just bought a mount so I can do the same.

When I mounted mine I noticed right off the gap was a lot larger than what MS recommends. I measured it at about 3/8" or so. Despite this I have never had a bad reading in over 300 shots. I did turn the sensitivity up to "3" from the default of "2" though. I built a magic arm mount for other guns where the rail is too far away from the muzzle for use with the pic rail adaptor.

I just don’t chrono... I get why people do it, but after my first initial OCW testing when I first get my rifle = then I just enjoy shooting the rifle. Man I hate load development LOL. Used to drive myself crazy with it... not anymore. Especially after watching some people burn up half of their barrel life doing load development. Trying different bullets before even doing different powder drops and bullet jumps is the most important IMO. A bullet a rifle likes to shoot will show instantly regardless of powder drops IMO.. been there done that too many times.. I’ll usually shoot numerous bullet styles/brands first with a generic powder drop load. See what bullet the rifle likes the shoot best, then work with that bullet on ocw powder drops, and then if I want to really fine tune I’ll work with jumps.

Reactions: ubet