• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chronograph

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
My long Term Chrono just shit the bed..whats new, and good?

I dont need some space age, bluetooth, third eye bullshit.....just a solid piece

bench

Magnetospeed V3

lightweight
Compact
Accurate readings
Doesn’t depend on good light-conditions for readings (I’ve actually shot during the night time to collect velocity data quickly)

Got a labradar this spring, never going back to a traditional chrono.

Reactions: Alabusa
Aaaaannnnd the 4978267th rehashing of Magnetospeed vs. Labradar begins.

There are a zillion threads here about the pros and cons of each. Set aside a day or two and read..... lots of good info.

Agree with going with the Magnetospeed v3. They have the Sporter version for less, but would still go with the V3 for improved quality and the ability to easily adapt to different setups. I keep thinking in the back of my mind what next on the horizon for the Magnetospeed beyond the V3. Wonder if there is anything new they will be showing at SHOT next year.

Magnetospeed V3. The Labradar is nice if you have a completely private place to shoot, but after several years and being put on a ton of rifles, my Magnetospeed is rock solid.

Magnetospeed V3. The Labradar is nice if you have a completely private place to shoot

Why private??? I use mine at the public range nearly every time out... sits in the bay just fine and let’s me easily chrono several rifles in one session.

Why private??? I use mine at the public range nearly every time out... sits in the bay just fine and let’s me easily chrono several rifles in one session.
My issue with it is nearby rifles with brakes vs my rifle with a can on it. Maybe user error on my part. YMMV. I own a magnetospeed, but have used a friends labradar several times. so my experience is not ultra vast. I have felt like the labradar was a little more fiddly to get through all the menus and save strings, and the one I used needed weight on the base to keep it from tipping over in the wind.
At the end of the day they will both work.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation, as it had me perplexed. My experience differs from yours, but as stated YMMV.

To the point of the OP - I suspect that you will see that these two choices are the most popular at this time, and they both have extremely faithful camps.

you may find it cheaper but this is what i ended up with Got tired of scrounging around the web at the time it was the cheapest price i saw
and if you want to keep it off your barrel this does just that .

Labradar owner as well.
There is a learning curve that goes with the LR whereas the MS seems pretty knuckle dragger simple. .
The LR smart phone app makes operating the LR much easier at the rangE
The LR will give you much more data than just MV And is easier to switch between multiple rifles, etc..
If you’re an advanced hand loader / shooter that wants to know every possible data point, the LR will be the better choice
If your shooting environment includes high winds, the MS may be a better choice, @lowlight had a LR blow over and break during one his range sessions and soured his opinion of the system.

And I'll be completely different...since I own about all of them...I prefer the Two Box Chrono coupled with the ShotMarker. On a side note...I watched a guy cuss a ShotMarker recently because they refused to show is 300BO shots....I was going to remind him about the bullet having to be supersonic...but I just minded my own business.

Magnetospeed, seen Labradors refuse to work in high wind, if you only use it on perfect days go for it, if you are going to travel to matches and HAVE to keep an eye on your muzzle velocity in any condition, Magnetospeed all the way.

Magneetospeed V3 is what I’ve been using. Easy to set up and I’ve never shot it. I’ve canoed the sensors on a traditional chronograph using an AR.

I love using the Labradar the range I go to will lend out at but when it’s busy there it can be problematic with false triggers.

my sporter magnetospeed is awesome but doesn’t play well with my new fat barrel and brake.
I’m gonna modify it a bit today but the regular magnetospeed wouldn’t have this issue.

anymore the Labradar or magnetospeed are only choices I’d consider.

just yesterday a buddy was getting funky numbers from his cheaper chrony and funky come ups from his app.

I put the sporter on and got some real speeds and a closer BC for his bullets on his app and his come ups were vastly better.

Got a recoil trigger for LR from The Pi-FT on FB, solved my trigger problems with a suppressor.

That was always my largest concern about Labradar considering I shoot mostly at public ranges. The recoil trigger may do the trick here.

I just bought a MS v3 and was researching the matter and like some people have mentioned there were plenty of threads on the “pro and cons” of the Labrador and MS v3. I went MS because of how simple it is, nice and compact also which is always a bonus. I think it just comes down to your needs really, being able to read other people a opinion is always great to.

Man, I tried a buddies labradar....i found it pretty inconsistent...which was a real bummer because I really wanted one.

bench

Then you didnt have it configured properly. I have one if the first Units and use mine multiple days a week. Rifles, pistols, suppressed, unsupressed... you do have to know how to setup and use it but once you do it's the best chrono out there.

My buddy got one and had the same issue till I showed him how to set it up and use it.

Just out of curiosity, seeing these posts that the Labradar doesn’t work well in wind...how high does the wind have to be to make the Labradar fail?

Most days I go shoot it’s probably a 10-15mph wind....but I normally go shoot my velocity work-up rounds when it’s blowing 20mph+ because it lets my barrel cool down way faster so the shooting session doesn’t take as long

Like I said, I shoot mine multiple times per week, 365 days a year. Never had a problem with wind, cold, hot, etc....now, maybe people having wind issues didnt have their labradar on a solid mount/base? Idk.

My buddy & I did some comparison testing between Labradar, Magnetospeed, and two opticals downrange at 7 and 75 yards. For a 40gr 223 bullet, the labradar was not consistent at all with the others. All the chronographs were consistent when tested with 308 using the same setup. Based on this testing, I am not sure I trust the labradar with lightweight 22 caliber bullets without further testing. Perhaps heavier bullets would be better. For the 40gr 223, the SNR (signal to noise ratio) was approximately half that measured with the 150gr 308. A video of this test is here:

My buddy & I did some comparison testing between Labradar, Magnetospeed, and two opticals downrange at 7 and 75 yards. For a 40gr 223 bullet, the labradar was not consistent at all with the others. All the chronographs were consistent when tested with 308 using the same setup. Based on this testing, I am not sure I trust the labradar with lightweight 22 caliber bullets without further testing. Perhaps heavier bullets would be better. For the 40gr 223, the SNR (signal to noise ratio) was approximately half that measured with the 150gr 308. A video of this test is here:

Interesting. I use my LR with .22 rimfire and .223 so I have a bit of experience here. So a question: what did the signal return strength bar graph on the left side of the display indicate?

My experience is that it's a bit harder to get a 5-bar return with .223 boat-tail bullets. I can also say from experience that readings from weak returns are suspect, typically on the low side.

One thing I've started doing that helps a lot with triggering: I use my little microphone, originally intended for rimfire or suppressed triggering, all the time. I put the mic under the muzzle and set the appropriate trigger level and velocity range. I often shoot braked and un-braked rifles in the same session and it's nice not having to move the unit.

Finally, in checking the LR documentation to insure I'm using right terminology, I noticed this advisory regarding transmitting strength. I might have to play with this - I occasionally use one short (initial sight-in) range that is cluttered, and have gotten some spurious readings there.

---begin documentation clip---
TX Power (US, Canada, Australia/New Zealand models only)
Select the LabRadar transmitting power. (Standard or Low). While Standard power offers a longer range measurement range, the Low power mode can be useful and perform better on shorter or indoor shooting ranges and on ranges where object create signal reflections. Due to foreign government restrictions, the European Union model is restricted to the Low power setting.
---end documentation clip---

Thanks for the video. "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure." - unknown

Last edited:
Reactions: nobeone
Interesting. I use my LR with .22 rimfire and .223 so I have a bit of experience here. So a question: what did the signal return strength bar graph on the left side of the display indicate?

My experience is that it's a bit harder to get a 5-bar return with .223 boat-tail bullets. I can also say from experience that readings from weak returns are suspect, typically on the low side.

One thing I've started doing that helps a lot with triggering: I use my little microphone, originally intended for rimfire or suppressed triggering, all the time. I put the mic under the muzzle and set the appropriate trigger level and velocity range. I often shoot braked and un-braked rifles in the same session and it's nice not having to move the unit.

Finally, in checking the LR documentation to insure I'm using right terminology, I noticed this advisory regarding transmitting strength. I might have to play with this - I occasionally use one short (initial sight-in) range that is cluttered, and have gotten some spurious readings there.

---begin documentation clip---
TX Power (US, Canada, Australia/New Zealand models only)
Select the LabRadar transmitting power. (Standard or Low). While Standard power offers a longer range measurement range, the Low power mode can be useful and perform better on shorter or indoor shooting ranges and on ranges where object create signal reflections. Due to foreign government restrictions, the European Union model is restricted to the Low power setting.
---end documentation clip---

Thanks for the video. "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure." - unknown

Some good thoughts especially with the microphone and the power setting. I wasn't paying attention to the display. The SNR data was from the shot track data and the maximum recorded for 223 was 15.32 on one shot and 12.35 on the second. It picked it up 12-15 yds downrange and were definitely low. I did some more investigation the next day with an FN FiveSeven and got about a 26fps lower reading on the LR than the optical.