• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CIP length mags with short cartridges

Tiger83

Proud Father
Minuteman
May 25, 2017
South Alabama
Maybe this would go well here. I've tried other sections with no response. I know that one can run a short action cartridge in a long action rifle, however I want to build a 28 nosler to run the 195 bergers at extended lengths. Bighorn has agreed to open my action up in order to accommodate a cip length dbm and magazine. I didn't until just now think that it may affect future use as a switch barrel for short action rounds. Would they possibly feed fine by altering the feed lips pf a cip magazine, or should I leave it alone and lose a little velocity to run the 195's in a shorter magazine? I really want to run them long, but I don't want to screw myself over on the short action rounds either, because I want my son to grow up shooting it as well. Please, if anyone has experience with this, let me know where I may be able to make a better informed decision. Thank you.

I hate acronyms. What the fuck is CIP length? I have had a couple of issues with specific reloads in short action mags. One being my Pierce Action when using 6.5 CM with loaded to mag length 140 Bergers. Solved with a little reshaping of the mag lips and cleaning out the extractor groove. Basically the round was hanging under the extractor and then would point up and into the face of the barrel rather than slipping under the extractor.

Sorry, CIP is some oddball French-sounding word. It is basically a 3.85" magazine that is usually for the oversized magnums with extended length cartridges. Usually used for long 300WM, remington ultra mags, and 338 Lapua Mags.

Does anyone know the outer dimension of this magazine?