• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Citizens Patrol?

Keyser Söze

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but what is Citizen Patrol?

Today there was a cop car driving behind me. I thought it was a normal cop car until I got to the light and he got into the turn lane and drove past me. The car had all the standard cop car stuff, lights, bumpers, etc. but on the side it had a crest (I assume the cities crest) and on the back it said X Township Police then underneath it said Citizens Patrol.

I have never seen one of these cars ever before. Plus the guy in the car was not a normal citizen, but an armed uniformed cop. (I could see his gun on his hip from my truck window) Do other places have these? I have never in my life seen one of these cars before. What do they do?

Re: Citizens Patrol?

You in California? Cause I know they have these cop-wannabe types that drive around ratting people out for environmental violations....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You in California? Cause I know they have these cop-wannabe types that drive around ratting people out for environmental violations.... </div></div>

No, I'm in Ohio. We don't have emissions testing or anything like that out here. (hell, they'd probably have to ticket every other car if they did, lol)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but what is Citizen Patrol?

Today there was a cop car driving behind me. I thought it was a normal cop car until I got to the light and he got into the turn lane and drove past me. The car had all the standard cop car stuff, lights, bumpers, etc. but on the side it had a crest (I assume the cities crest) and on the back it said X Township Police then underneath it said Citizens Patrol.

I have never seen one of these cars ever before. Plus the guy in the car was not a normal citizen, but an armed uniformed cop. (I could see his gun on his hip from my truck window) Do other places have these? I have never in my life seen one of these cars before. What do they do? </div></div>

The only ones that I know of have unarmed citizens. Think of a neighborhood watch program on steroids.

These programs serve multiple purposes:

1)It allows for integrated relationships between the police and citizens.

2)It provides citizens with an option to patrol an area that they think the police may be neglecting.

3)It provides citizens with direct communication with Police Officers.

4)It subsidizes a Police Force that may not be able to afford enough Police Officers.

I think it's a great program that allows citizens an insight into law enforcement.

The safety of these patrols, however, is debatable and may prove to be a greater liability to the city....again, debatable.

I have never heard of a citizen patrol that carried a gun. Are you sure it was a gun and not a tazer or other piece of equipment? Are you sure it was a citizen and not a detective or other sworn person driving?

It could have been a citizen patrol with a gun but I would think the liability for that would be through the roof and it would behoove the city to not have an armed citizen patrol or just annie up and pay for another Police Officer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but what is Citizen Patrol?

I have never seen one of these cars ever before. Plus the guy in the car was not a normal citizen, but an armed uniformed cop. (I could see his gun on his hip from my truck window) Do other places have these? I have never in my life seen one of these cars before. What do they do? </div></div>

The only ones that I know of have unarmed citizens. Think of a neighborhood watch program on steroids.

These programs serve multiple purposes:

1)It allows for integrated relationships between the police and citizens.

2)It provides citizens with an option to patrol an area that they think the police may be neglecting.

3)It provides citizens with direction communication with Police Officers.

4)It subsidizes a Police Force that may not be able to afford enough Police Officers.

I think it's a great program that allows citizens an insight into law enforcement.

The safety of these patrols, however, is debatable and may prove to be a greater liability to the city....again, debatable.

I have never heard of a citizen patrol that carried a gun. Are you sure it was a gun and not a tazer or other piece of equipment? Are you sure it was a citizen and not a detective or other sworn person driving?

It could have been a citizen patrol with a gun but I would think the liability for that would be through the roof and it would behoove the city to not have an armed citizen patrol or just annie up and pay for another Police Officer. </div></div>

Thats more or less what I had thought initially too, but then I saw the uniformed township cop driving it. I am also 100% sure it was a gun. I am also sure it was a cop, unless the citizens patrol got exact identical uniforms to the township police, patches, radio, and all.

Where to they usually keep the Citizen Patrol cars? At the police station? Thinking about it, I may have seen one parked in the station lot before... (or then again, I might be mistaken)

Do the actual police perform the maintenaince on the car, (maybe that is why the cop was in it) or is that up to the block watch program or whoever?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thats more or less what I had thought initially too, but then I saw the uniformed township cop driving it. I am also 100% sure it was a gun. I am also sure it was a cop, unless the citizens patrol got exact identical uniforms to the township police, patches, radio, and all.

Where to they usually keep the Citizen Patrol cars? At the police station? Thinking about it, I may have seen one parked in the station lot before... (or then again, I might be mistaken)

Do the actual police perform the maintenaince on the car, (maybe that is why the cop was in it) or is that up to the block watch program or whoever? </div></div>

Ah okay. The cars are purchased and maintained by the city, ie. taxpayer dollars or grants. I have no idea where the cars are stored. I wouldn't see any problem with them being stored at the Police Station or in the neighborhood in which they are to patrol....especially if the citizens are hot-seating the patrols.

So I now know what the citizens patrol is, I have to wonder why the heck the tax payers money funded this particular one.

I definitely support the idea, (in the city or other area that needs it) but if you knew the area this was, you would wonder too. It is out in the nice suburbs. There is zero crime out there. Unless you count catching some teenager smoking a joint, or someone rolling through a stop sign a major crime. I don't get why they need a citizen patrol out in "mayberry" where the normal police don't even have anything to do but drive around trying to find people to ticket, its so crime free.

Call the local cop shop and ask. Then youll have a definative answer. Just sayin....

That may be...but I'm sure there are statistics being generated as we speak. Maybe the city counsel there acknowledges the low crime rate and is evaluating the cost-effectiveness of the current Police Dept and may be planning on integrating more civilian patrols in lieu of hiring 10 more cops. That's just one guess and I could speculate 100 other reasons for the patrol.

Who knows, maybe it's the way of the future in regards to municipal spending.

Personally, I am a huge advocate of citizen patrols. It allows the citizen to see the crime that does exist and educates people in police procedure and the legal system. It's nice to have people on the "same team."