• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

civil war toll

Re: civil war toll

interesting, thats a big change, i would think they would have kept better records back in the day?

Interesting. Wasnt aware of the large difference in the Union and Confederate death tolls. We southerners learn the business end of a gun early on.

It is impossible to figure the death toll from "that war", it killed for 100yrs after Appomattox. If Lee could have seen the results he would truly have gone Kamikazi at Appomattox.

I am always intrigued by civil war history. It is interesting to think about how things would be different if the war didn't happen or the outcome was different.

The death toll was enormous, especially when you consider the relative size of the total population then. Even so, I suspect the most damaging consequence of the civil war on the future of the country was the extreme expansion of federal power post war. The powers reserved for the states and the people were basically taken back as a consequence of the war, bolstered by a series of Supreme Court decisions that really ought to be re-examined. The Northern states looking to exact revenge and identifying with federal power rather than states rights unthinkingly gave away their own power as well, and as well all know once the feds get the power they immediately begin spending your money to strengthen and expand it.

With respect to these numbers, it should give all of us even more appreciation for what George Washington was able to accomplish. His ability to move and preserve what little strength his army had was truly amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

With respect to these numbers, it should give all of us even more appreciation for what George Washington was able to accomplish. His ability to move and preserve what little strength his army had was truly amazing. </div></div>

Thats why he is the only president ever elected unanimously, and why the nations capital, is called Washington. Ive read a couple of books on him and it basically comes down to

NO George Washington = NO United States of America.

Thanks, George.

I wonder how many KIA,and how many died from there wounds after the war.and civilan kia.Allot of blood for what they belived
in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. Wasnt aware of the large difference in the Union and Confederate death tolls. We southerners learn the business end of a gun early on. </div></div>

Yup, that's why the south won.
grin.gif