• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Civilian IR laser questions.

Bolt_Overide

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Nashville TN
So I'm looking at some IR laser options and had a few questions. It is my understanding that the available options for IR lasers for civilians have less power output than the stuff I've used overseas (peq15). I honestly don't remember wattage or any of that stuff, I do remember that the laser was bright enough I don't think I ever needed to use the illuminator as the spill from the laser was enough to act as a pseudo-illuminator. Is this the case with civilian available devices? Specifically I'm looking at two from Steiner, the OTAL-C and the DBAL-I2.

Also, because I assume it makes a difference, This will be with a gen 3 pvs7 with green phosphor most likely, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet either. I'm still shopping around and trying to find the best deal I can in the $2K neighborhood. Any advice on that front is welcome too.

Definitely NOT the case w/ civilian IR lasers available in the US. Most of the time, a super-powerful IR pointer isn't a huge benefit, but the powerful and adjustable IR illuminator packaged with it can be extremely useful. What max distance are you planning to shoot with this setup?

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I would say no more than 200m. This is for the theoretical IF situation, and frankly, if the threat is more than 200 out, I'm gonna unass in the opposite direction.

From the Steiner models, in order to comfortably aim AND illuminate at 200 yd, the most cost effective device would be the Dbal-D2. If you are happy enough w/ the illumination effects of an aiming laser on HIGH, then perhaps consider a PERST-4 type laser as long as you are good with a more "from behind the iron curtain" type solution :cool:

Reactions: Huskydriver
Look at the OTAL-C for IR laser and an unfiltered Luna ELIR-3 for illumination, great combo (OTAL will get you to 200 no problem and Luna can illuminate way beyond that). Look into a TAPS Sync to use them simultaneously or single.

Last edited:
Plenty of FP PEQ15s in the exchange for around that price. A DBAL A2 is also a good option for a FP unit if you plan to ever shoot with a clip on. The A2, similar to the LA5 (ultra high power peq15) has adjustment knobs to make zeroing the illuminator without tools easier. Big advantage if you are running one unit on multiple rifles.

Plenty of FP PEQ15s in the exchange for around that price. A DBAL A2 is also a good option for a FP unit if you plan to ever shoot with a clip on. The A2, similar to the LA5 (ultra high power peq15) has adjustment knobs to make zeroing the illuminator without tools easier. Big advantage if you are running one unit on multiple rifles.
That's why I like the A2 . Good illumination that seems to "cleaner" maybe and you can adjust it without tools.

Reactions: NHPiper