• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

clamp on muzzle brake(review)

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
First let me say I AM NOT CONECTED WITH THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THIS BRAKE PERIOD!!!!!!I was not solicited to do a review,and i do have permission to do this review...
First of the brake is 3 and 5/8 inches long and 1 and 3/8 wide with 6 ports 3 on each side that are 1l2 wide.The brake has 6 screws that attach it to the barrel,with 3 on each side that attach to the barrel.The brake also has a built in stop so as not to slide it over the barrel to far or not enough.When the brake was sent to me for a review all the manufacture needed was the measurement on the barrel at the muzzle and 1 inch back from the muzzle which on this rifle (savage 10fp.)was.850 at the muzzle and 1 inch back....
1ibqev.jpg

I did my review on my 300yrd.range with a savage 10fp,choate tactical stock,warne 0moa mount burris tac. rings that are lapped,and a origional series ss 6x scope,with a really cheap ass bipod(waiting on a atlas)This was going to be a video review but my video camera took a shit on me so thats out.
ycy37.jpg

On with the shooting.I started my testing without the brake attached and my groups were boringly the same as always(3/4)After my poi was confirmed i went ahead and attached the brake,which was extrenely simple.the 6 screws were tightened in a x pattern to 18 inch pounds.I also have to comment on how easy installation was.The brake slipped over the barrel with a perfect fit,no slop up or down or side to side.I was actually a little worried about maybe a brake strike.I have never used a rifle with a brake installed before so it was a new experiance for me.My worries were completly unfounded after my first shot i settled down andstarted shooting for groups.
Now like i said i had never shot a braked rifle before and was extremly impressed with recoil reduction.I hate to compare how the recoil diminished because everyone feels recoil differently.But if i had to compare it to anything it would be a old mossberg single shot .22 i have.
The other thing that struck me right away was the sound signature.It was loud,very loud...Hearing protection is a must;as it should be with any firearm....
My last part of this review is how it shot.
My poi did change after installation being that my first group was 1"high and 1"left.After rezeroing i started with my groups.My first set of groups (5 groups of 5)were at 100yrds.I was impressed with the fact that my groups did not seem to change.After moving out to 300 i did notice a difference my groups wer smaller.Intead of having a 1 3/4 group it went down to 1 1/2 again 5 groups of 5.
So to sum up my experiance with this brake,I really like it and am going to keep it.I would deffiantly reccomend it to someone who would like a brake that does what it should with ease of installation and no gunsithing required.
The only complaint i have about the brake is the screws that clamp it to the barrel are of the allen type,and imo would be better served with torx type.One other thing of mention is the screws are just a hair long...After tightning down to specs the screws protruded through the brake just a hair..This is avery easy fix though....
One last note this brake comes with very detailed instructions,and is a breeze to install...

Re: clamp on muzzle brake(review)

bolt on's are real fun after a night of drinking with loose women...

how ever in the arena of rifle breaks, its anyone guess which circus will hire facially deformed clowns post accident

be sure to post pictures

You might want to include a link to the manufacturer's web site or some kind of contact info.

I did not add contact info or price on this per mods.request...Simply use google and it should not be to hard to find.

Sorry, but I feel a review without at least a product name is almost less than worthless.

I appreciate the time you took to do this, but in very short order it will fall off the front page of this section and without any keywords to tie to a manufacturer or product name, the chance of it getting indexed by a search engine is nil.

It took a little more searching than I would have liked, but it looks like a Kahntrol Solutions brake.

http://kahntrol.com/

Lonewolf Granted It might be next to worthless without a link,But here is the deal.I wrote this review about a week ago with contact info and a price.It lasted about a hour before a vender here decided to complain to s&j refinishing that this company was not a paid supporter and that i should not write a review on the product with the info i added.Therfore it was locked and erased.....
What can i say,except i thought the product was worth a write up,and maybe shooters could benefit from it.
I am sorry i have to go about it this way....
I hope this doesnt get locked but you are correct on your guess,and i am also sorry you had to search so hard to find it..
I try to stick to my word s&j asked me not to post the name and price so i didnt.....You guessed it..I didn't tell you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wrote this review about a week ago with<span style="font-weight: bold"> contact info and a price</span>.</div></div>

That's where you get boned. I am not a moderator here and I can't speak for Frank. What I have seen, if you are not making commercial sales you can simply post your experiences, the name of the item and the company that makes it.

You probably would have been OK with just the name of the product and a link to the manufacturer. That is done here all the time. Take a look at how many scope, stock and gear reviews already exist in this section that do just that.

Now back to the core issue. While it looks like a neat product, unless you a prohibited by local law from threading your muzzle, you will be in much better shape with a thread on brake. You have more options, cleaner install, and even if it comes loose a couple turns (while your accuracy will go to hell) you don't risk a baffle strike. If it was a "one size fits all" type thing it would interest me for a little project I have planned.