• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing clamp on muzzle brakes

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
building a project 338 this summer and I'm starting to get all the bits and pieces lined up and priced out. been finding more and more clamp on brakes. always kind of seemed like the cheap half @$$ed way of doing things to me but I've never owned one so my opinion is pretty much based off of nothing. I certainly wouldn't mind saving a few bucks on an expensive project but not at the cost of accuracy. how would a good quality clamp on compare with a threaded one? can they really effect accuracy? (my main concern is it coming loose or shifting a bit while being fired) does anyone here have a clamp on on their rig?

The only clamp on I have ever used is the one by Witt Machine that they designed specifically for the mosin. It is absolutely awesome for that application but if you are going with a custom build like a 338 I would get the barrel threaded and done that way. The smith will time it, it'll look good, and you know it is concentric to the bore and won't cause any shifting or strikes. To save money on a brake I would contact SAS Tactical brakes on Facebook. They make all of my brakes and do a great job and will make it however your heart desires. Then I get mine threaded by the gunsmith at a local gander mountain (I know many people steer clear of gander but this guy really knows his stuff!) I had my brake custom made, barrel threaded and the brake timed for less than $200. That was worth it to me.

thanks! i was actually looking at the witt machine brakes but i think i will go with threading it. ill be sure to check out SAS Tactical. i couldn't find a good thread on that i liked to look of that would fit a thick bull barrel/wasnt a ridiculously priced suppressor adapter. thanks again brother!

I have a Kahntrol clamp-on style on my 7-08. Very effective at reducing recoil, it's never budged... They're machined to fit common barrel contours (like my .85 varmint), or custom to fit your barrel at no additional charge. They do save a few bucks over barrel threading, and a high-end brake together.