• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clamp on Vs Set screw Gas block?

Clamp on or knurled set screw GB with 1 dimple for SHTF rifle

• Clamp on

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Set screw

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

URGILOVERR

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2023
USA
need to know the best option for 3 new barrels I just got, What’s more bombproof? Will point contact from set screws really affect accuracy?

Got a bunch of both. Haven't dropped any bombs on them but they've never moved. If you're serious about making them failure proof pinning is probably where it's at.
Which one are you referring to? Also I Don’t want to pin even though I know that’s the most bombproof option, I want maximum accuracy but was wondering if I should invest in clamp on or set screw with 1 dimple.

I have a Wojtek Weaponry clamp on gas block on my 3 gun match rifle and have yet to have it loosen on me. If you shoot 3 gun you know fast we shoot and the amount we shoot.
Zero issues shooting at distance as well ~600 yards.

Which one are you referring to? Also I Don’t want to pin even though I know that’s the most bombproof option, I want maximum accuracy but was wondering if I should invest in clamp on or set screw with 1 dimple.
With a dimple and some blue loctite a set screw is pretty much not going anywhere, and it doesn't need that much torque. Clamp ons often seal a little better, but the screws can interfere with tight I.D. handguards.

One of the issues with gas blocks is when they are not lined up with the gas port which causes function problems. A way to avoid that is use set screw gas blocks and use a KAK gas block dimple jig. The jig uses the gas port to align the dimple placement for the set screws. Perfect alignment every time.

Reactions: Bigtrucknut
I have always used set screw gb’s for that reason - easy to line up gas port with dimpled barrel.

Just wondering - what’s the recommended method to ensure good alignment if one was forced to use a clamp on gb?

Bomb proof and pinned go hand-in-hand. The Triarc EZ pin low profile pinned gas block is the best I've used. The block itself is pre-drilled and it removes very little metal from the barrel as the pin sits lower than most other GB's. Installation is simple and fast if you have access the a drill press; literally a 5 minute job that had no detrimental effect on accuracy for me.

https://www.triarcsystems.com/product/triarc-systems-easy-pin-gas-block/

John Noveske drilled and pinned every stainless barrel that left his shop back in the day. There was a reason.

The trend for handguards covering gas blocks mostly obviates the need for a “bombproof” gas block. It’s not getting knocked around. It just needs the screws to not back out. Get one that fits under the handguard and move forward. Set screw v clamp is not the most important decision in your build.

Haven't had a gas block move yet either method, and no reason to use loctite, it just turns to powder after you heat the barrel up.