• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Clarification please, Tangent Theta Parallax range

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
First range trip with new Tangent Theta 5-25 scope. Parallax adjustment seems to run out at 400-500 yds, most of range in parallax adjustment is 300yds and less. Not at all like my other scopes (Sightron and Kahles). Am I doing something wrong/stupid.? Read manual and no enlightenment. Is this what users mean with no need to adjust parallax beyond 300-400yds? My question is that you couldn't adjust beyond that even if you wanted to as knob is at it's full rotation.

Thanks for any explanation.

Your diopter can have affect to it. I was trying to walk through my buddies Gen3XR and changing your diopter setting will have affect on where the parallax marking will be set.

Just my observation 'testing' it....

I’ll be watching this as I suspect more and more all the time the parallax on these isn’t what it is on this model with different reticle, if nothing else just more sensitive for some reason. At least from reviews I read I expected very forgiving parallax and glass that exceeds all others. I’ve never had a TT before to compare to, but my s&b is easier to focus.

Please see updates post below.

Last edited:
Make sure the diopter is set perfectly first. As a test try seeing how close it focuses. If it's focusing closer than spec'ed then there is probably something wrong with it.

I have this problem with the SWFA 3-15 and I have the diopter dialed out quite a bit for my setting. It won't focus past 700Y, done ran out of adjustment.

So is there a certain way to set your diopter to be perfect? How you set it up to perfect?

So is there a certain way to set your diopter to be perfect? How you set it up to perfect?

Put the parallax to infinity. Look at a white background; like a white wall. While looking at your reticle and blinking, adjust the diopter until the reticle is sharp. The blinking is important because your eyes will focuse the reticle to be sharp. The goal here is for the reticle to be sharp before your eyes automatically focus on it and make it sharp for you.

Thank you for clarifying that. Very interesting method i will try soon as i get scope. Have TT GEN3 on order should be getting it soon.

Make sure the diopter is set perfectly first. As a test try seeing how close it focuses. If it's focusing closer than spec'ed then there is probably something wrong with it.

I have this problem with the SWFA 3-15 and I have the diopter dialed out quite a bit for my setting. It won't focus past 700Y, done ran out of adjustment.

I’ve set diopter very carefully and even reset it to try and improve it. First time at 1000 yards plate was blurry, parallax couldn’t clear it up. I reset diopter and got it better but not what I expected, again I need another scope right beside it to see if it’s scope or conditions before I make too much judgment. 200-400 yards it’s the best glass I’ve seen, outside that it’s not which is why I suspect parallax.

I’ve set diopter very carefully and even reset it to try and improve it. First time at 1000 yards plate was blurry, parallax couldn’t clear it up. I reset diopter and got it better but not what I expected, again I need another scope right beside it to see if it’s scope or conditions before I make too much judgment. 200-400 yards it’s the best glass I’ve seen, outside that it’s not which is why I suspect parallax.
How tight are the scope rings torqued?

You can fine tune the diopter another way. Pick any distance past what the minimum focus is, find one thing to aim at, then go back and forth with both the focus knob and the diopter till both the reticle and the image are as clean and clear as they'll get.

Sure sounds like something is wrong to me then??!!

Shouldn't be hard to do, just the opposite, so...

Update:

After making a trip out to do some comparisons at 2000 yards today I wanted to amend my contributions to this thread. I had not had another optic to directly compare to so I was not 100% sure if it was conditions or scope. But was not satisfied with image before.

After comparing side by side to s&b 5-25, and two high powers I can say the TT was the clearest glass to both of us that were there. It was impressive! There was not a lot of mirage, conditions were good and I could look at plate at 2000 yards and make out bullet splash. It was very good even to 25x.

One thing I did notice is adjusting parallax, if you are near moving to far it focuses in nice. But if you go to infinity and move back in you have to go a little extra and back out to fine tune it. Once set it was great. I think this is what I fought a little as I have a habit of going to max and back in especially at that range. Also mirage may have been more of a factor last time out. Guess that’s why you can’t judge an optic off one single interaction, especially one without a benchmark!

I love the reticle even at that range!

To add to @Gilly post above the TT was the only scope out there that had a nice clear image at max magnification. The s&b 5-25 was close but the high power had to be backed off 2-3x from max to get a good clear image.

Reactions: LakuNoc
Back to range again. No mirage. Parallax basically maxed out at 400yds. Compared with my Kahles at same distance Kahles was at about 400yds on parallax ring at 400yds with obviously lots of adjustment leeway for further distances.I think the parallax adjustment must be out of whack. There was a great deal of adjustment from 50 yards to 100 yards. But at 100yds I had used up over 50% of the range of adjustment. Scope mounted in a Spuhr mount, 15in/lbs torque. Adjusting parallax ring is not smooth through range of movement, mid range it seems to to have more resistance to turning then loosen up again. I'm going to loosen all the screws on the Spuhr mount and retighten and try again tomorrow. If no luck I guess back to the maker. Sigh.

I have two TT 5-25 scopes. On one, the parallax knob's range is great. It's useable over its full rotation from 100 yards out to 1200 yards and beyond, where I'm basically at infinity by 1200 yards, give or take. On the other scope, it's sort of as you say... where by 300 yards I'm at like 90% of the parallax control's travel. And then from 300 out to 1,000 parallax adjustment is suuuuper fine within that last 10% rotation. This is very different from my other TT. So obviously there is some internal adjustment during manufacturing that affects it. That said, I don't "run out" of adjustment. I can still set parallax and get a clear sight picture. It's just basically at infinity by 1,000 yards.

I've thought about sending it in to be looked at, but it's a pain to do that and the scope works fine. But yeah, the parallax adjustments on both scopes are definitely different. Diopters set the same on both.

Back to range again. No mirage. Parallax basically maxed out at 400yds. Compared with my Kahles at same distance Kahles was at about 400yds on parallax ring at 400yds with obviously lots of adjustment leeway for further distances.I think the parallax adjustment must be out of whack. There was a great deal of adjustment from 50 yards to 100 yards. But at 100yds I had used up over 50% of the range of adjustment. Scope mounted in a Spuhr mount, 15in/lbs torque. Adjusting parallax ring is not smooth through range of movement, mid range it seems to to have more resistance to turning then loosen up again. I'm going to loosen all the screws on the Spuhr mount and retighten and try again tomorrow. If no luck I guess back to the maker. Sigh.
Are you saying you have parallax past 400 yards that you cannot dial out?

Mine was the same way, couldn’t dial out the parallax past 400-500 yds. I emailed Armament and Crystal took care of it. She emailed all the paperwork I needed and a shipping label. They fixed it the day after receiving it and sent it back. Very good customer service!! I wouldn’t hesitate to send a scope to them if you think something isn’t right. @CSTactical was also very helpful in making sure my warranty needs were taking care of.

Reactions: CSTactical
I have two TT 5-25 scopes. On one, the parallax knob's range is great. It's useable over its full rotation from 100 yards out to 1200 yards and beyond, where I'm basically at infinity by 1200 yards, give or take. On the other scope, it's sort of as you say... where by 300 yards I'm at like 90% of the parallax control's travel. And then from 300 out to 1,000 parallax adjustment is suuuuper fine within that last 10% rotation. This is very different from my other TT. So obviously there is some internal adjustment during manufacturing that affects it. That said, I don't "run out" of adjustment. I can still set parallax and get a clear sight picture. It's just basically at infinity by 1,000 yards.

I've thought about sending it in to be looked at, but it's a pain to do that and the scope works fine. But yeah, the parallax adjustments on both scopes are definitely different. Diopters set the same on both.

Mine reaches max (infinity) at 400yds. Checked it three times. Rechecked torque on Spuhr mounts 3 times. Definitely not right. Starting process of sending it back. New production glitch I suspect given the number of folks with same problem. Bummer.

Mine was the same way, couldn’t dial out the parallax past 400-500 yds. I emailed Armament and Crystal took care of it. She emailed all the paperwork I needed and a shipping label. They fixed it the day after receiving it and sent it back. Very good customer service!! I wouldn’t hesitate to send a scope to them if you think something isn’t right. @CSTactical was also very helpful in making sure my warranty needs were taking care of.

You're very welcome!!!

Got my TT back from warranty check up, parallax range a bit better. Was out shooting yesterday. TT on my AX, Kahles K624i on my AT. I like them both. Try as I can I cannot see the dreaded CA with my Kahles and I thought a bright snow background should bring it out. Glasswise , they are different. Kahles seems "brighter", Tangent Theta more real life sharp. Best analogy I can come up with is my impression of difference between Nikon and Leica lenses back in the day of film photography. Leica images had a crisp? harshness to them that was quite striking and was great to my eye for landscapes and buildings it was "cold" on portrait type photos, striking but cold, whereas Nikon had a warmth you could see when faces were photographed, still very sharp images. I liked them both. Can't speak to digital photography haven't got it figured out yet. I suspect it may be like digital vs. analog when it come to music. For emotive impact analog can't be beat whereas digital music just does not have emotive power. Somewhat convoluted analogy, but in summary I like the Tangent Theta over my Kahles and both of them over everything else I've looked through so far.

Cheers!

Reactions: CSTactical