• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

clark custom vs cz vpt

RandomWAguy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
PNW
heres my dilemma i have a friend wanting to trade some work for his 77/22, only issue is hes a bigger gun guy than me and said it flat out doesnt shoot well. I have been wanting a nice bolt .22 and could just send it to Clark custom for their conversion which guarantees 1" @ 100.

option 2: the rifle i was looking at before my buddy made the offer was the cz 455 vpt. i have heard lately though that some, read some, are not having the same QC and not having the best accuracy from them.

Cost will be a wash basically in my mind, also in my mind i dont mind having a project with the 77/22 as im getting it basically free but i will have an issue if i need to do much besides switching the trigger in the cz and possibly reworking the extractor, due to the initial cost of the rifle.

i come to the gurus for advice, please enlighten me

I don't have any experience with Clark but that is about to change as I have a used Clark Custom 10/22 that I am picking up from my FFL when I get back in town from the business trip I am on currently. Having said that, I would go with the Clark Custom 77/22 over the CZ. There is nothing wrong with the CZ guns but they are factory produced guns and will not consistently shoot like the Clark's are guaranteed to. Most shoot very well but you have the chance of getting one that won't.

Plus the 77/22's run the 10/22 mags which I find much preferable to the CZ mags. I've been eyeballing Clark 77/22's for a while now and I want one. Unfortunately I am so long on 22 rifles that even I can realize that I have a problem.

I have shot both side by side. I know the CZ was not bedded(may have helped some) and I don't think that the Clark was either. Shooting the same ammo from both and I was getting about the same results from each. I think as far as accuracy goes they may be comparable especially if you invest in a Lilja barrel for the CZ, bed it and do a trigger job. As far as working the action the CZ won hands down! Was much more smooth to operate as it is a round-ish bolt where the 77/22 is a more blocky type bolt. The ergonomics of the stock CZ also won in my opinion with the Manners and several more aftermarket options that I do not believe are out there for the 77/22. These are just my observations, after shooting the two and even going down to Clark's and touring the shop and talking with workers(great guys by the way) I chose a CZ. Hope this helps!

Ben

there alot of stuff going on now for both(stocks,triggers,barrel)
my hunting bud gave me his stainless 77/22, said make it shoot better, but dont spend alot on it
well shit!!!
took rifle completely down cleaned, polished some here/there, bedded, floated barrel,
played with the screws,on torque, lapped rings, remounted scope.reworked trigger

took it to the range an shot match ammo only,20rounds later bingo,
was getting nice little bug hole groups at 50yrd
took it back to him, 3 weeks later, he told me it had gone titsup
so we went to the range, he get ready, an damm out pops a box of stinger's
i asked him what the F he was doing, was told nothing kills like stinger's
so to make a long story longer, i recleaned the shit out of it
gave him a lesson on 50yrd killing power( have you seen chikn's coyote kill @ 211 yrd with center x ask him about it)
gave him a box of fed 922 lr an bang 20/25 rounds later bug hole
so i guess you ask which one to get. i have owned a 452 an now have a 455 CZ with a boat load of money in,
but for some reason would love to get my hands on a 77/22
maybe TOP predator or dfoosking can ring in here an give a little more info,
think they both have messed with the 77/22 more than i

Last edited:
I've been shooting a 77/22 since high school and over the last couple of summer I altered mine severely.

First came the trigger job till it was around 2lbs, which I used a knife sharpening kit as my tool.
Next came a new barrel that was match chambered and crowned properly.
At the same time I ordered a Boyds Tacticool Stock then proceeded to pillar and bed the rifle(JB Quick Weld).
After doing so at 100 yards I can consistently shoot 3/4 to 1 moa with proper ammo and form.
Having a barrel rechambered and crowned was $250 plus $110ish for the stock.
I've turned out some consistent groups at both 50 and 100 yards with this rifle and it continues to prove itself a shooter.
Honestly when Cptn Krik gets is setup for the 77/22 my rifle will have a new stock and possible a proper match grade barrel from a either Lilja or Shilen and possible replace this
BSA 4-14x44 scope. Overall I think the 77/22 is a good choice and will do what you desire from it with proper time and ammo. IMO check out Connecticut Precision Chambering as they specialize in Rugers especially the 77/22 and Randy has ton of experience. You can ask around at rimfirecentral.com as well, the site is strictly rimfires and the guys know a ton as they do here too.

Im a little surprised that more people arent saying to go with the cz....3 to 1 for the 77/22. Still havent made up my mind yet on what to do, thanks for all the input so far guys

heres my dilemma i have a friend wanting to trade some work for his 77/22, only issue is hes a bigger gun guy than me and said it flat out doesnt shoot well.

It sounds like you'll get the gun for 'nothing' or at least sweat equity. Does anyone else have issues taking a gun that 'doesn't shoot' and putting more money into it? Not shoot great, sure- that's why there are gunsmiths and upgrade kits. I'm not familiar with the Clark treatment, but is this just good money chasing bad (none)?

Sometimes free gets expensive quick.

OK, you got me. I picked up my VPT today... yes, the safety is odd.

Far from a guru here but I think Nathan11b is on the right track.

Why not get the 77/22 and throw a match barrel on it yourself? You or a smith can tune up the trigger pretty darn easy on the cheap.
Grab a tacticool stock and bed it/have it bedded.

Now you have a sweet rifle at about 1/3-1/2 the cost of the vpt that will probably out shoot it.

I do love my vpt and it is pretty dang accurate with good ammo. Backwards safety and all.

HMMM...

After reading this thread up to this point I think I would say that Nathan11b is making a lot of since. If you get the rifle for free then add a $400 Lilja barrel your out $400. There is no need in replacing the stock until you get a base line of the accuracy, you could bed the factory stock yourself. If anything that would be a great learning experience.

But of course you would have to keep us up to speed with how it goes!

there alot of stuff going on now for both(stocks,triggers,barrel)
my hunting bud gave me his stainless 77/22, said make it shoot better, but dont spend alot on it
well shit!!!
took rifle completely down cleaned, polished some here/there, bedded, floated barrel,
played with the screws,on torque, lapped rings, remounted scope.reworked trigger

took it to the range an shot match ammo only,20rounds later bingo,
was getting nice little bug hole groups at 50yrd
took it back to him, 3 weeks later, he told me it had gone titsup
so we went to the range, he get ready, an damm out pops a box of stinger's
i asked him what the F he was doing, was told nothing kills like stinger's
so to make a long story longer, i recleaned the shit out of it
gave him a lesson on 50yrd killing power( have you seen chikn's coyote kill @ 211 yrd with center x ask him about it)
gave him a box of fed 922 lr an bang 20/25 rounds later bug hole
so i guess you ask which one to get. i have owned a 452 an now have a 455 CZ with a boat load of money in,
but for some reason would love to get my hands on a 77/22
maybe TOP predator or dfoosking can ring in here an give a little more info,
think they both have messed with the 77/22 more than i

LOL, Sometimes those askhole friends need straitening out don't they!?!

I'm interested in seeing what a fixed up 77/22 looks like and shoots like. For some reason I was always fond of the platform.