• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clarksville Benz dead?

They're hunkered-up in a hotel at the moment, looking at options in the morning.

"limp-mode" in the middle of a trip.... sucks.

Thanks for looking. Info is appreciated.

Sean

I got word this morning that:

"He's headed back home/North, whilst sending the rest of the family South to continue with their family plans.
His vehicle is 'Egr related problems throwing it into limp mode intermittently'... so he's going to baby-it back home and get another vehicle and then head South. This way the rest of the family doesn't get their Family Time interrupted, He's good with losing a few days, and everyone will all travel home together as planned."

Crappiest time ever, to have breakdown issues. He's 200 miles North of Clarksville now, and aiming for home.

Reactions: mercracing
I just went through this shit with my Ram. DEF injector died. I had 150 miles to get to a dealer before it went into limp mode and 5 MPH maximum speed. Dealer told me 4 weeks before they could see my truck... because they were short staffed.

Fortunately, competing dealer was able to handle in just 2 weeks. During which we had 2 blizzards and my farm truck was laid up for... both of them.

I have a theory... which is that buying a cheap code reader/resetter from NAPA will let one reset and stay out of limp mode. But have not tested.

This shit is bullshit. Putting a work truck in 5MPH limp mode because it might eject a few particles is total fucking commie crap. But Commies will commie.

THIS is how they are going to destroy Rural America. One little 'code' and your working truck is dead. Plus $5 diesel. Plus fertilizer too expensive to farm.

THIS is what is going to create a new Lexington/Concord.

Sirhr

They recalled my Mercedes E250, which has basically the same 4cylinder diesel as the Sprinter. Before the recall, it averaged 45-49 MPG on the highway, now it has been getting low 40s. Not terrible but I'm wondering how making a vehicle less efficient can somehow reduce emissions.

• Angry
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
They recalled my Mercedes E250, which has basically the same 4cylinder diesel as the Sprinter. Before the recall, it averaged 45-49 MPG on the highway, now it has been getting low 40s. Not terrible but I'm wondering how making a vehicle less efficient can somehow reduce emissions.
Ahhhhh... Just ask VW and how they took it in the ass from enviro-commies on their Diesels 10 years ago...

Total faggotry. All about trying to destroy Internal Combustion.

Sirhr

1703460464212.png

I just went through this shit with my Ram. DEF injector died. I had 150 miles to get to a dealer before it went into limp mode and 5 MPH maximum speed. Dealer told me 4 weeks before they could see my truck... because they were short staffed.

Fortunately, competing dealer was able to handle in just 2 weeks. During which we had 2 blizzards and my farm truck was laid up for... both of them.

I have a theory... which is that buying a cheap code reader/resetter from NAPA will let one reset and stay out of limp mode. But have not tested.

This shit is bullshit. Putting a work truck in 5MPH limp mode because it might eject a few particles is total fucking commie crap. But Commies will commie.

THIS is how they are going to destroy Rural America. One little 'code' and your working truck is dead. Plus $5 diesel. Plus fertilizer too expensive to farm.

Sirhr
Red tractor mechanic. 3 DEF codes in 40 hrs will through a tractor into derate. I have to use my laptop to reset it.

Sirhr
The DEF injector problem can be as simple as removing the 2 bolts holding it in the converter and soapy water wiping off the brown turd of crystalized DEF gunk that is built up and interfering with the spray. It makes the DEF consumption go way up and trips the code. The wiring and pressure line can stay hooked up. A dab of antisieze and you are good. Light will go off with restarts or a good scan tool. 10mm socket...is the size
It is the same problem with Ken Worth and Peterbilts too. Big trucks have a DEF filter to service. Ram filters are l;ike the sock on an intank fuel pump only in the DEF tank. Not fun and not hard either. Injector doesn't even require jacking up and is located on the top front of the converter.

99.9% you can not do that anymore. Hell the DEALER couldnt even do it when I had NOX sensor and DEF issues. They had to drive it until it cleared. SUPPOSEDLY if it didnt clear before it hit the 5mph limp they can get an engineer at the mothership involved to clear it, but its a big ordeal... Luckily both times after they fixed it, it cleared for the tech within 30-40 miles...

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
99.9% you can not do that anymore. Hell the DEALER couldnt even do it when I had NOX sensor and DEF issues. They had to drive it until it cleared. SUPPOSEDLY if it didnt clear before it hit the 5mph limp they can get an engineer at the mothership involved to clear it, but its a big ordeal... Luckily both times after they fixed it, it cleared for the tech within 30-40 miles...

Figured they did some shit like that…

FWIW, he made it home, got another vehicle and headed South to be with the Family.

"limp mode" is beyond lame. In what universe......?

Thank You to ALL who offered and suggested assistance. Seriously.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I bought a code reader for this exact purpose and it did get me home. I was towing a boat from South Texas to Mass and the def system was throwing a code and going into limp mode. I had to clear about 20 times but I did get home. I was getting into NYC and the traffic was bad and the last time I cleared the code I just plugged it into the obp and cleared it without pulling over. I didn't have any turbo boost but could at least drive. When I stopped for fuel I was on the phone with my dealer filled the truck and put some def in. When it started back up it cleared the code and I haven't had an issue since. Took it to the dealer they saw the code checked to make sure the sensor tested good which was what the code identified and no issues.