• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Clash of the Titian's

Re: Clash of the Titian's

The original was one of my childhood favorites. I can not weight to see this one in 3D.

Jsut cusae we can sohot deons't maen we can sepll. Or no what proper words two use.

edit: Okay, all jokes aside, I checked out that trailer now and that actually looks pretty bad ass. Absolutely going to check that out.

Thanks, viav13. Besides I had not even had my first cup of coffee when I made that post.

I think I spelled that right,lol.

My wife is way into this stuff, so I am sure I will see it sooner or later.

The trailer looks badass. I'm kind of amazed at how many classical or mythological movies are coming out these days. What's old is new, methinks.

I didn't like the movie at all. Wife seemed to like it, she likes that kinda stuff though.

Avoid it in 3D, folks. Just stick to the old fashioned 2D projection. The dimensionalization was done in post-production in a mad rush and is painful to watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Avoid it in 3D, folks. Just stick to the old fashioned 2D projection. The dimensionalization was done in post-production in a mad rush and is painful to watch. </div></div>
You can tell that it was done like that. I mean some of the graphics in 3D were done well, but others not so well and it was real hard to focus on some parts..

Here's the problem with dimensionalization - when doing CG elements (creatures, environments, etc) you more or less get the 3D for free because the geometry used to create the imagery still exists in mathematical 3d space. However, taking film that was shot in 2D and trying to make it match in 3D space requires a lot of voodoo.

Essentially you have 24 frames per second, but a slightly different image for each eye. Objects that are closer to the camera display more parallax between frames and what compositors have to do in post-production is create "the missing eye." The way we did it on "Alice in Wonderland" was VERY tedious but thankfully almost all of the environments were CG to begin with. There was an army of artists that animated proxy geometry to match Alice, for example - the way her dress moved, hair, arms, etc. This was placed into the 3D environment so that it was in the proper spatial location compared to everything else. Then the original 2D filmed plate was projected onto the proxy geometry. This had to be done for all of the actors and what little set they shot.

"Clash of the Titans" didn't have such luck, so the entire scene had to be recreated and match moved. It was all done in 2 months by an Indian company (as well as artists here in Hollywood). The results were pretty ugly.

A safe bet for a good 3D experience is going to be all CG animated features like "How to Train Your Dragon". Like I said before, you get the 3D aspect more or less for free (but there's still a LOT of work to do). Another one is a movie like "Avatar" that's been shot with stereo cameras, however Hollywood doesn't like the price tag for such things so expect this post-3D to be more the norm.

Right now the studio is fighting with Michael Bay to make "Transformers 3" in 3D.

He doesn't want to do anything new and technical, just stick to what he's comfortable with. I can't totally blame him, but come on...

Sucks! Had high hopes, real let down.....

My son was high on going to see this movie till I told him the local paper gave it a 1 1/2 star out of 4.

Absolute garbage in comparison to the original. This one sucks badly. Ridiculous scenes and characters. Directing and acting is so bad I laughed out loud at supposedly intense scenes. Horrendous waste of time and money.

I didn't think it was too bad. We saw it in 2D and the only part I thought would look cool in 3D was the intro to the movie zooming through the universe. My wife really enjoyed it. Not enough of the kraken wrecking up the place. Where's Jason and the Argonauts?

For what it's worth, the guy behind the stop-motion animated creatures in both original films, is still around and quite involved in the industry...

http://www.rayharryhausen.com/index.php

I've had the honor of chatting with him from time to time at VES events - very approachable and while he's a living legends, he's still so floored but what we do nowadays with computers.

Wow that guy has done a lot of stuff. I laughed out loud that he was one of the surgeons in the tent in Spies like us. Doctor, doctor, doctor, doctor. HAHAHA!!

sucked, original was better.
Was amusing however to see they pulled out the Archimedes Owl prop from the old film for a brief moment..but yeah the recurring theme here is remake hopes to capitalize off reputation of original movie, using visual special effects as a crutch for poor casting, bad acting, terrible screenplay, and campy dialogue...

Yup, unfortunately they haven't learned that bad movies should be remade or re-imagined; not necessarily good ones.

Heard a review that summed it up well. Basically no plot and rushes from one cg special effect to the next, simply trying to jam all the graphics into the final cut.

It was entertaining especially in 3D, but its definitely not going to win any Oscars.