• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I bought copies of some older movies at a flea market. I had never seen "Sgt York", so I bought it. I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it would deal mostly with his military career, but most of it was just about his homelife and love of family and country. A bit of trivia for the movie buffs, Gary Cooper had the title role, but one of his drinking buddies in the movie was played by Ward Bond. Bond was John Wayne's real life longtime drinking buddy. He was in a lot of the Duke's movies. Burton had a large rearend and was kinda fussy about having people make fun of it. So, when he was in a movie with John Wayne, a point was made to give his butt prominence in a scene or two.

Also bought "Tribes." This was not to my tastes, but Darrin McGavin did a good job as a Sgt Hartman-wannabe. Not much, if any, foul language- too tame for THE GUNNY.

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" was very good. I may have seen pieces of it years ago, but this was the first time I had seen it in its entirety. It was great to see the Duke and Jimmy Stewart together.

Re: Classics

I have a load of John Wayne's films, great actor. I like Tom Selleck, and Robert Duvall is great in a western. The Duke always brought a sincerity to his westerns because he was tough. I don't really care for too many of the new celebrities because they are so plastic and phony. I know that they are just actors playing out somebody else's words, but it burns my ass when some Hollywood shithead makes an action movie with guns a blazin', and turns around and supports the anti-gun crowd.

The guys from the golden age of cinema either lived by the movies they made, or kept their mouths shut.

The Duke is my fav actor like many I guess. He surrounded himself with many of the same actors for different movies. Ward Bond was in many of the Dukes movies. Surfing the channels, if the Duke is on I am watching the movie. Not a movie he made once he starred in Stage Coach do I not like. His Sat afternoon movies before Stag Coach are not that good but I do watch them time to time.

James Stewart is my #2 fav actor, real life Air Corp / Air Force General, retired 2 star if I remember right.

Randolf Scott, a real tuff guy and what you saw is what you got from him on screen and off.

Gary Cooper in Sgt York was excellent but in High Noon, absolutly outstanding.

I am a classic movie watcher, movies of that era were about acting and story line, not fluff.

New actors, I like Selleck, wish he had more pull in Hollywoodland than the libs he is black balled by.

David,

Once again, we agree on another subject. You mention a couple of very good movies. My wife is a die hard "Duke" fan.

Short list for now,

Frank Sinatra in:
Kings Go Forth (WWII)
None But The Brave (WWII)

Burt Lancaster:
Lawman (Western)
Valdez is Coming (Western)

I gotta throw James Stewart into the mix again with:

Carbine Williams

Definite classic, for me. And it's more than 'just a movie'.

I can't top my already mentioned favorite Frank Sinatra movies. Maybe not Classics in your view, but here are a few more,

James Cagney:
The Fighting 69th. This should be the WWI film where James Cagney assaults German positions using a Mortar almost like a M203. Not sure of the title, maybe I have the wrong actor and film in mind.

Steve McQueen:
Hell is For Heroes. Keeps tapping the dust cover on M3
The Sand Pebbles. BAR is nice

Michael Caine:
Too Late the Hero. Running that gauntlet is interesting

The Audie Murphy movies also deserve mentioning.

Michael Caine (his first movie) as Bromhead in Zulu

Fun seeing Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood in Where Eagles Dare recently.

Rather fond of Sam Elliot in anything

Best John Wayne movie is The Searchers. Might be THE BEST Western of all time.

James Coburn in Iron Cross by Peckinpaugh is pretty awesome

Charleton Heston in Khartoum is a mega-Classic.

Kids got me the deluxe Patton set for Father's Day. George C. Scott was tremendous in the role.

One question; Why no definitive movie about The Eastern Front of WWII? More men killed in uniform on that front than the rest of the whole war combined.

As for Eastern Front, I recall seeing a few in Black & White Classics that were somewhat good, but I've forgotten the names.

Yes the Cross of Iron and its supposed part II IIRC called: Breakthrough where Richard Burton replaced Coburn, taking place in the West had some interest, in their slow motion sequences, but not better than the first.

Though in color, let's not forget about Burt Lancaster with Charles Bronson the baker wanting to make bread during the Ardennes offensive in the movie "Caste Keep" that was strange.

As Westerns go, we can list many James Coburn films here, do you remember "A Fistful of Dynamite"? Another favorite of mine. Rod Steiger, the US General in Normandy "Breakthrough" also played Coburn's sidekick here.

Majority of these Classics are something you can watch with the family, being clean to a degree, can't say that about the modern films.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One question; Why no definitive movie about The Eastern Front of WWII? More men killed in uniform on that front than the rest of the whole war combined. </div></div>

Like I said, I've seen some Black & White movies made here that were good. Having forgotten the title, in this one an arrogant German is trapped in a large building with some Soviets, possibly during the battle of Stalingrad. It was pretty good.

In an attempt to try and answer your question, perhaps Hollywood, and primarily the West, didn't want to glorify Communism and the Soviets. Now if you're into European and Russian made films, there may be some for you.

Apart from Cross of Iron which really doesn't qualify as an epic or large scale production, if the Balkan Front is close enough East for you. And if you like epics, demolitions and some hand to hand mg's firing away, then "The Battle of Neretva" might be what you're looking for. Yul Brynner, Franco Nero, Orson Wells are all in this. You might notice some similarities with Cross of Iron here.

Following this front more, we get into "The Guns of Naverone" with David Niven, Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn, etc. And the shoot offs leading to the "Force 10 From Naverone" and Dirty Dozen series. BTW Barbara Bach is hot.

Lee Marvin relieving himself on Toshiro from the tree in Hell in the Pacific was a classic.

"King Rat" was also an excellent movie and George Segal portrayed the Cowards and Lowlifes role we love to hate well.

Maybe you guys can think of some more, but here are some other Classic War movie portrayed Cowards and Lowlifes we love to hate that come to mind:

"Kings Go Forth" (WWII 1958) Tony Curtis plays lowlife coward role, superb, I already mentioned this Frank Sinatra, Natalie Wood movie before.

"Attack" (WWII 1956 movie) Eddie Albert plays lowlife coward role, also good, starring Lee Marvin, Jack Palance, Buddy Ebsen, etc.

Hope you enjoy.

<span style="font-style: italic">Action in the North Atlantic</span>.

<span style="font-style: italic">The Devil's Brigade</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">A Walk in the Sun</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Das Boot</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Sahara</span> (1943)

<span style="font-style: italic">Beau Gest</span> (1939)

<span style="font-style: italic">Gunga Din</span> (1939)

<span style="font-style: italic">Wake Island</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Bataan</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Back to Bataan</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">The Dawn Patrol</span> (1938)

<span style="font-style: italic">Dive Bomber</span>

Although I has seen them before, I watched these classics recently and highly recommend them if you have a family movie night.

El Cid
Zulu
To Kill A Mockingbird
North By Northwest

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Duke in the Green Berets! A true Classic. You know he made that movie with only 1 lung. </div></div>

Great movie! I have that and need to watch it again. The Duke was unapologetically America-first. He would toss in his grave if he could see where we are now.

"The Longest Day" is hard to beat. Lots of big actors in there. I have watched it many times when I needed a break and had a few hours to pass. It is great fodder for a long day when the weather keeps you in.

<span style="font-style: italic">Figures in a Landscape</span> it's an interesting 1970 film starring Robert Shaw and Malcolm McDowell. Man versus Machine (helo) in pursuit, sort of an escaped POW survival theme.

Having mentioned Naverone previously, Robert Shaw came to mind and he portrays his classic typecast well here. IIRC the smg ammo lasted almost forever.

Though not in the same category as some of the others you've mentioned, it deserves a watch. Will not say and spoil what Shaw does as a survivalist. Just don't eat and watch the particular scene I'm thinking about.
sick.gif

Gorge Drifter, I can't believe that you left out "Von Ryans express" . I thought that this was one of his(Sinatra} better movies when I watched it when released. As they say "in my humble opinion."45/70SS

Have seen that POW movie you mentioned many times, but going on memory and if I had to choose a favorite or just two. I personally prefer Mr. Sinatra in: <span style="font-style: italic">Kings Go Forth</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">None But The Brave</span> much more, but that's just me.

This is coming from someone who likes just about anything Mr. Sinatra.

Maybe these two films might get some added attention from people here to watch something "new" if they've seen the more common ones like you have mentioned. Enjoy.

One year, while visiting Texas on my annual pilgrimage to kill wild pigs, I just happened to throw a couple of paperbacks into my bag for the trip. The first paperback out of the bag was "The Great Train Robbery," by Micheal Crichton. It is a very good historical piece, and based loosely on a real event. Recently, I was discussing it with a friend when he told me about the movie. I was surprised to hear of it, and even more so to watch it free by clicking up in the right hand corner of this link. THIS ONE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find "Morituri". It is a classic but few know about it. Nominated for a few Oscars back when.

Stars Marlon Brando, Yule Brenner, Trevor Howard. Made in B&W during the 60's. Brando is a prick who gets blackmailed into helping the allies sink a German ship loaded with raw materials for the Japanese. Brando does a nice job playing SS/Gestapo. Plenty of intrigue, guilt. Brenner is the captain of the ship.

If I remember correctly they really purchased the ship and filmed a bunch on it- cost big bucks back then. It bombed at the box office and critics hated it- so much for those assholes. One of my favorites.

"Morituri" is the latin term that gladiators said before a fight-something like "those about to die"- been a few years since my last Latin class in college.

Buy this movie

Han </div></div>

I very faintly recall your film, it's been a while, I have to see it. Talking about ships, your B&W movie reminds me of two others, not as good as yours,

<span style="font-style: italic">The Bedford Incident</span> (1965) with Richard Widmark. Seem to recall they had a Gung ho ex-Nazi on board in this one, set in Cold War.

The next film, I can't recall the title now, in B&W also, lower grade film, they had a German Merchant raider in this one with a mean German Captain, that picked up some hot merchandise (I remember that part). Wasn't bad for the time to address this topic, which almost cost the Allies the War.

Talk about Classic actors who play arrogant Nazis well, hard to find that now days. Maybe your favorite Brando takes the cake like you say, but here are 3 more:

<span style="font-style: italic">The Night of the Generals</span> (1967), maybe you've not seen this one. Not great, but weird.

Peter O'Toole plays perhaps the best Nazi General in this one, even dictating the temperature of the bath water, can't find a more arrogant typecast than him to fit the role perfectly. Set during the Normandy period, IIRC the unit O'Toole commanded is SS, so that should make him an SS General, and that unit came into existence later in the war but for some reason in the film, they're active during Normandy.

Omar Sharif (type cast, if you can believe as a German) is in this too, as the investigating officer. Won't spoil it for you, just in case you have not seen this strange movie.

<span style="font-style: italic">Bridge Too Far</span>, second place best SS typecast goes to Maximilian Schell. he was in an almost spotless uniform riding through the destruction.

Karl-Otto Alberty typecast as the classic SS guy appears in both <span style="font-style: italic">The Great Escape</span> (1963), <span style="font-style: italic">Kelly's Heroes</span> (1970) and a few more.

Your Brando also plays a German officer in the <span style="font-style: italic">The Young Lions</span> (1958), can't remember seeing this one. But your film is probably the best. Thank you.

BEST:
Western: High Noon! The suspense is worthy of Hitchcock. The acting by Cooper was his best ever because he was not a cowboy action star, just a great actor. Grace Kelly as a Quaker who went against her religion and shot one of the bad guys was a huge surprise. Finally, the haunting melody of Tex Ritter (who made some westerns in his own right), singing, " Do not forsake me oh, my darlin'" is unbeatable in any western. Sorry about that Frankie Laine (Rawhide). The spaghetti westerns were just instrumentals.
Honorable Mention Western: Any western with Joel McCrea. He made several thought provoking movies and not all westerns either. When he made a movie with Randolph Scott, the movie was twice as good!

War: A Walk in the Sun. Read the book first and appreciate the movie!

Sci-fi: War of the Worlds, no not the Tom Cruise version. When I heard he was going to be in the remake, my first thought was he was too short to play the Martian! ;) The original should have won Oscars for FX, Color and Sound! "Welcome to California" Zaaaaaaaaaap!

Boxing...sort of: Richard Conte in "The Fighter" He fights to raise money to buy guns for the Revolution in Mexico.

John Wayne knew Wyatt Earp when he was first starting out and copied his walk! Not a great actor as he mostly did westerns, but the Shootist, is his best! He was around for a long time and he is revered by the multitudes of fans who saw him! All five of his wives were foreign nationals. While he rode many different horses, in his movies, he didn't own any of them.

Real cowboys: Hoot Gibson, silent film star who made movies with John Wayne. He used to carry his gun in his boot!
Ben Johnson (Oscar winner) who also made movies with John Wayne.
Both Gibson and Johnson won a championship at the Pendleton Rodeo!